Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 05:36:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PSA: Bitcoin's survival and long term prospects depend on MtGox getting killed.  (Read 10110 times)
mintymark

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:17:59 PM

I Agree with OP. Vote with your feet people. I personally have found Bitstamp pretty satisfactory.

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:44:57 PM

Yesterday I sold the little remaining USD I had on MtGox (for 9.09 mB/USD, not the peak but better than the 8.47 I would have gotten just before the Dwolla news came out, or the 8.84 they are going for right now, but I digress) and transferred my bitcoins away. I can only assume that there are other people who are likewise doing one last transaction on MtGox and taking their money out, this will sustain the volume there temporarily.

My question is: how long do you think it will be before the daily volume for MtGox is no longer the number one exchange?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Stampbit

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:46:27 PM

Use a competitor, stop feeding the beast.
aceking

Activity: 229
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 10:45:59 PM

we need a really professional exchange , maybe bitcoin foundation should create one that complies with fincen and other legulators.
Peter Lambert

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:00:16 AM

we need a really professional exchange , maybe bitcoin foundation should create one that complies with fincen and other legulators.

No, that would be centralizing things too much.

Somebody should start a really professional exchange, why not you?

MPOE-PR (OP)

Merit: 522

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 07:19:41 AM

No, that would be centralizing things too much.

Somebody should start a really professional exchange, why not you?

I rike the legulation palt.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 08:49:57 AM

Oh mighty wise one, do you have a suggestion for a better exchange to use?

The first bitcoins I bought were on TradeHill, because they allowed easy Dwolla deposits and I thought MtGox seemed sketchy (this was right around the time of the big MtGox hack and rollback etc). Tradehill went away, so I stopped using them.

I then used MtGox, now I have an account there and a small amount of money there, so unless another option is clearly better I will keep using them because it is familiar. They do have a record of developing very long lag times during high volumes of trade, so I would be interested in an exchange that does the whole exchange thing better.

I tried putting up an ad on localbitcoins, but never got any response.

I used Coinbase to buy some bitcoin, but their daily limit is obnoxious and they are just selling bitcoins, it is not the same as trading on a market.

What is the best option, or do we still need somebody to make the ideal exchange site?

Outside of otc trading (which for the record has been for the past year and looks set to remain the largest BTC market by volume - yes it was larger than the sum of all exchanges before today, yes it will certainly remain larger than the sum of all exchanges after today) you might try cavirtex for the west side of the pond and bitcoin-central for the east side. There's also btc-e and bitstamp. There's probably more.

It wouldn't hurt if somebody made a good exchange, but it's hard to do and some other newbs with fat on the brain a la Karpeles are emphatically NOT needed.
I am waiting for Bitcoin Central to get back online with better site and security this time! I like they are more regulated. Also they need bigger volume...
Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 09:07:19 AM

Oh mighty wise one, do you have a suggestion for a better exchange to use?

The first bitcoins I bought were on TradeHill, because they allowed easy Dwolla deposits and I thought MtGox seemed sketchy (this was right around the time of the big MtGox hack and rollback etc). Tradehill went away, so I stopped using them.

I then used MtGox, now I have an account there and a small amount of money there, so unless another option is clearly better I will keep using them because it is familiar. They do have a record of developing very long lag times during high volumes of trade, so I would be interested in an exchange that does the whole exchange thing better.

I tried putting up an ad on localbitcoins, but never got any response.

I used Coinbase to buy some bitcoin, but their daily limit is obnoxious and they are just selling bitcoins, it is not the same as trading on a market.

What is the best option, or do we still need somebody to make the ideal exchange site?

Outside of otc trading (which for the record has been for the past year and looks set to remain the largest BTC market by volume - yes it was larger than the sum of all exchanges before today, yes it will certainly remain larger than the sum of all exchanges after today) you might try cavirtex for the west side of the pond and bitcoin-central for the east side. There's also btc-e and bitstamp. There's probably more.

It wouldn't hurt if somebody made a good exchange, but it's hard to do and some other newbs with fat on the brain a la Karpeles are emphatically NOT needed.
I am waiting for Bitcoin Central to get back online with better site and security this time! I like they are more regulated. Also they need bigger volume...

... And stay away from web wallets, pay people back, etc.

bracek

Activity: 530

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 10:11:59 AM

you are all spoiled and unthankful

gox has done for us and bitcoin more than any of us posting here

he is doing something, what are you all whiners doing to help or improve ?
MPOE-PR (OP)

Merit: 522

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 10:32:39 AM

Fuck you. Go learn who you're talking to first, open your mouth second or not at all.

I'm telling you to fuck off and go educate yourself.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 10:54:56 AM

yeah, good idea-
you wish for others what you wish for yourself right?

NedKLee

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:07:28 PM

Tried to educate myself OP, so far I've had not even one inkling of a problem with Mt. Gox, verification was not a problem and I've been happily trading ever since, my opinion is Gox is a good thing and when you're on a good thing, stick to it.

From a purely educational point of view, could you please suggest another exchange, where I, as an Australian, can safely and securely trade?

ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:13:03 PM

http://numismatics.pwnz.org/15may-dhs-seizure-of-mtgox-funds-held-by-dwolla/
Peter Lambert

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:33:38 PM

Tried to educate myself OP, so far I've had not even one inkling of a problem with Mt. Gox, verification was not a problem and I've been happily trading ever since, my opinion is Gox is a good thing and when you're on a good thing, stick to it.

From a purely educational point of view, could you please suggest another exchange, where I, as an Australian, can safely and securely trade?

Take a look at WeExchange.co, (not com, that is confusing), I believe they are set up in Australia.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:46:12 PM

I'm not a fan of monopolies, but I don't see Gox as a scam. I have never had a problem with them (so far) and it has never taken more than an hour to fund my account.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Theraty

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:53:49 PM

Please do your part killing this offensive piece of shit scamsite. Never trade on MtGox. Not now, not ever. Every dollar you pay in taxes goes to feed some bureaucrat swine, pay for hospitals, education and bombers. Every dollar you pay in MtGox fees goes to feed swine exclusively.

Find a different exchange, trade there, never MtGox again.

Exchanges need greater decentralization.

The fact that more exchanges are appearing everyday, and all mt gox has to do is sit there and screw up is leading to this naturally.
Theraty

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:56:37 PM

Fuck you. Go learn who you're talking to first, open your mouth second or not at all.

I'm telling you to fuck off and go educate yourself.

I respect your points of view but theres no need to attack others. Just take it for granted that they don't understand the situation like you do.

Chill and be happy    Smiley
PrintMule

Activity: 980

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:57:11 PM

Bitstamp for life.
BTC-e sucks donkey balls.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
NedKLee

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 06:41:25 PM

Take a look at WeExchange.co, (not com, that is confusing), I believe they are set up in Australia.
Thank you Sir, will check them out.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 06:52:55 PM

As much as I dislike this freakish boygirl's temperament, I have to give credit that this he-she has accurately predicted a lot of things. Coinlab comes to mind. If you can get past the hairy scrotum hiding under the mini skirt, shim actually has a lot of insights.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: