Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:19:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PSA: Bitcoin's survival and long term prospects depend on MtGox getting killed.  (Read 10110 times)
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 10:24:14 PM

Please do your part killing this offensive piece of shit scamsite. Never trade on MtGox. Not now, not ever. Every dollar you pay in taxes goes to feed some bureaucrat swine, pay for hospitals, education and bombers. Every dollar you pay in MtGox fees goes to feed swine exclusively.

Find a different exchange, trade there, never MtGox again.

I'm not sure if this is the inteded reaction but I'm going to close this window and get bitinstant going for a cash gox deposit. 
Bitvik

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 10:43:39 PM

Coinlab would certainly agree...
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 08:55:48 AM

As much as I dislike this freakish boygirl's temperament, I have to give credit that this he-she has accurately predicted a lot of things. Coinlab comes to mind. If you can get past the hairy scrotum hiding under the mini skirt, shim actually has a lot of insights.

You and Mistery Miner with this interwebs gender weirdfunk. Are you aware a dozen or so BTC people met me IRL? There's pix published and so on and so forth?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 08:58:25 AM

As much as I dislike this freakish boygirl's temperament, I have to give credit that this he-she has accurately predicted a lot of things. Coinlab comes to mind. If you can get past the hairy scrotum hiding under the mini skirt, shim actually has a lot of insights.

You and Mistery Miner with this interwebs gender weirdfunk. Are you aware a dozen or so BTC people met me IRL? There's pix published and so on and so forth?

Now don't go shattering his fantasies.
abbyd

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 09:24:55 AM

Coinlab would certainly agree...

...which is why I must come to Gox's defense. In my view they have been incompetent many times, but never outright SCAMMY.   
Whereas, Coinlab, with their nebulous do-nothing-but-sue strategy, strikes me as DODGY AT BEST. If we're making predictions,
I'll wager that Coinlab does nothing but fail in their current and final year of existence.

Gox has weathered plenty of storms, and they've managed to keep their doors open for several years now. Also, it's a former
geeky game card trading site, run by a French nerd, who incorporated in Japan. In many ways this is an embodiment of
Bitcoin's transnational character. Much more so than some Silicon Valley douchebags muscling their way in using a lawsuit...

I suspect MPOE is right, Gox won't last too much longer, given the burdens of the litigation and the DHS seizures.
You won't find me dancing on their grave, however.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 09:49:49 AM
Last edit: May 17, 2013, 11:01:57 AM by rpietila

Are you aware a dozen or so BTC people met me IRL? There's pix published and so on and so forth?

"Greetings, I am rpietila of the Zulus, and our words are backed with nuclear weapons."

Since it is a duty of any reputable secret service, to hinder your master from going to the United States, and therefore I am sure he took the fact into account by only sending a detachment (like I did, albeit only after my hospitalization), perhaps he can send a third-in-command to meet my operations manager in Europe?

The motivation behind my humble proposal is as follows: Due to my restful quietness, I am unable to receive people, whom I don't know previously, as guests, and surely he is also taking the time of this conference as personal rest, due to his second-in-command being in another continent. So what if we also send our thirds to meet each other, and therefore establish a third-level diplomatic contact in some peaceful European country. I think it is obvious to both me and your master that, despite the mutual willingness to believe in the nonexistence of the other, the reality can be bent only by so much, and that limit has been reasonably reached by now.

I can send him alone or with a driver-cum-securityguy (you choose the size of the delegation) to any location in Europe in 24 hours if your master cares to accept my lowly overture.

Meanwhile we can continue minding our own business in calm peacefulness, unburdened by the people with whom we spend so much time that it really does wonders to send them all away for a few days, keeping only the staff necessary to take care of our minimum personal needs.

On-topic: MtGox delenda est.

EDIT: I will enter into deep storage in 60 minutes. It will continue up to 30 days, and the next meeting with the psychiatrist is scheduled on Monday. (The deep storage may be cancelled any time, but better hope nothing - this way I will get better sooner.) So forget about the proposal above, they believed it's too manic Sad Lauri can meet you though in Finland but he is not allowed to leave the country as long as I am not in the communication loop. Or I can consider your offer while minding my own business.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 10:55:37 AM

Whereas, Coinlab,

It's not a X vs Y debate. Coin* (all of them, base, lab, whatever) are teh Yfail. This has no bearing on MtGox being teh fail, unrelated topics. We're not electing politicians here, to be confronted with a choice between self-entitled clueless arrogant fuckwit vs partially reanimated corpse. We can reject the entire slate no problem.

"Greetings, I am rpietila of the Zulus, and our words are backed with nuclear weapons."

Lmao Bitcoin's master troll to date has been playing Civ, too.

Go to Timisoara after your recuperation, you can buy each other wine and cigars.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
SGExodus

Activity: 232

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 11:47:09 AM

Instead of bashing a site that have served the community so well, to bring bitcoins from cents to dollar parity, and to where it is today, why don't you share about other good exchanges that you think the community can used?

The Chinese already has a decent exchanges that handled 30-40k btc transaction a day, btc-e are also serving the European community pretty well.  

Let market forces dictate who people trust and where they want to trade.
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:19:09 PM

Instead of bashing a site that have served the community so well, to bring bitcoins from cents to dollar parity, and to where it is today

If this weren't so stupid it would be just a plain lie.

Listen here: what MtGox did for the community is deny and ignore reports about their security being poor for two weeks before being actually hacked, which nearly destroyed Bitcoin. That going from 30 to 0 did not destroy it is a testament to the power and worth of everyone else. What MtGox did do is pose the largest threat to Bitcoin's existence, unsurpassed in the entire interval and likely to never be surpassed.

After that what they did was ignore requests from the community to fix their engine, which to this day consists mostly of lag, alongside a litany of other perfectly legitimate requests I'm not going to bother to list for your noobish benefit.

All the while they sucked millions of dollars from the same community in fees, which they have utterly squandered.

MtGox is the enemy of Bitcoin. More so than any state and more so than any government, more so than any one person, MtGox is the one thing that is Bad For Bitcoin.

NedKLee

Activity: 46

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:36:12 PM

Errr, Emmm, at the risk of being impudent and at the risk of being told to go and multiply in a far off location, may I humbly suggest you lend an ear to E7 of the Let's talk Bitcoin podcast where it is more than adequately explained, by people who have more knowledge in their little finger than I would hope to garner in a lifetime, why Mt. Gox really is the only show in town.

Going to make a small donation to this most excellent show right now, with BTC purchased on Gox today, suggest you may do the same. ( make a small donation that is, feel free to get your coins anywhere you choose)

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:39:02 PM

Mt. Gox really is the only show in town.

Oh, absolutely. That it is, but not for the reasons you think it is.
SGExodus

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:46:43 PM

Stop living in your dream world.  Majority voted with their money and go with Mtgox.    

You don't bad mouth a service to kill the service.  You build a superior service to take away it's business.

Lots of people are trying now.   Go ahead and vote with your money on the new services.  

And if you think so highly of yourself, go convince your friends and relatives to invest in you and start something to compete.

NedKLee

Activity: 46

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:57:26 PM

Mt. Gox really is the only show in town.

Oh, absolutely. That it is, but not for the reasons you think it is.

Care to elaborate please?

There is lots of innuendo here, lots of reading between the lines, fact is I've had no problems with Mt. Gox, no lag, no latency, money in, BTC out, they're doing everything I'd expect an exchange to do, in a timely manner, so what is the story?
Peter Lambert

Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:23:13 PM

Whereas, Coinlab,

It's not a X vs Y debate. Coin* (all of them, base, lab, whatever) are teh Yfail.

I don't think it is fair to bash Coinbase just because they have a similar name to CoinLab. The link you cite seems to conflate the two as the same thing, but they are actually different, and it is just plain dishonest to make a mistake like that and not fix it in the article. That might be libel?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:25:45 PM

Stop living in your dream world.

Account created February 10, 2012. 4th post made February 28, 2012. 5th post made March 05, 2013. So...you bought it?

Care to elaborate please?

There is lots of innuendo here, lots of reading between the lines, fact is I've had no problems with Mt. Gox, no lag, no latency, money in, BTC out, they're doing everything I'd expect an exchange to do, in a timely manner, so what is the story?

Account created March 24, 2013.

Soo...there was some sort of solar flare in March or what? Did you actually read and comprehend the linked material or are you yet another one of the hands in ears "lalala I know better than all of you because I'm me and rain doesn't exist because my three weeks' experience doesn't contain rain"?

SGExodus

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:42:02 PM

Stop living in your dream world.

Account created February 10, 2012. 4th post made February 28, 2012. 5th post made March 05, 2013. So...you bought it?

Carry on whining.   

Bitcoin's survival and long term prospects depend on retard like you getting scam by untrusted exchanges. Your lost is everyone else's gain Smiley
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:24:14 PM

I don't think it is fair to bash Coinbase just because they have a similar name to CoinLab. The link you cite seems to conflate the two as the same thing, but they are actually different, and it is just plain dishonest to make a mistake like that and not fix it in the article. That might be libel?

And your assumption that they're different is based on what? (Tho I do chuckle at the implication that equating them is libel. To which one remains an unanswerable question).

Peter Lambert

Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:58:13 PM

And your assumption that they're different is based on what? (Tho I do chuckle at the implication that equating them is libel. To which one remains an unanswerable question).

Global Bitcoin Stock Exchange (GLBSE), Mircea Popescue's Exchange (MPEx), both have exchange in the name, therefore they are the same thing!

Really, are they related in any way other than they both have something to do with bitcoins and their name starts with Coin?

Obviously equating them is insulting to Coinbase, which provides a service for exchanging bitcoins and USD, whereas Coinlab does ... something?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
madmadmax

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 07:12:21 PM

Instead of bashing a site that have served the community so well, to bring bitcoins from cents to dollar parity, and to where it is today

Listen here: what MtGox did for the community is deny and ignore reports about their security being poor for two weeks before being actually hacked, which nearly destroyed Bitcoin. That going from 30 to 0 did not destroy it is a testament to the power and worth of everyone else. What MtGox did do is pose the largest threat to Bitcoin's existence, unsurpassed in the entire interval and likely to never be surpassed.

After that what they did was ignore requests from the community to fix their engine, which to this day consists mostly of lag, alongside a litany of other perfectly legitimate requests I'm not going to bother to list for your noobish benefit.

All the while they sucked millions of dollars from the same community in fees, which they have utterly squandered.

MtGox is the enemy of Bitcoin. More so than any state and more so than any government, more so than any one person, MtGox is the one thing that is Bad For Bitcoin.

I think we are all well aware of the problem but can you discuss a solution? Can you propose any approach we might take towards establishing a decentralized secure exchange?

Also, Britney Spears, the Mt. Gox employee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CduA0TULnow

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

abbyd

Activity: 159

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 08:19:21 PM

Stop living in your dream world.  Majority voted with their money and go with Mtgox.    

You don't bad mouth a service to kill the service.  You build a superior service to take away it's business.

Hard to argue with this. Even if you don't like this, it happened. As I said, Gox are still (for the moment) in business, and they've
earned the trust of their customers. Coin* have done neither of these things for any period of time. CampBX has promise, but
is headquartered in USA for the fail. BTC-E handles volume but doesn't seem 100% credible (gawd, that shoutbox....).

Setting up an exchange doesn't SOUND hard, but people get really prickly when it comes to their money...

Lots of people are trying now.   Go ahead and vote with your money on the new services.   

And if you think so highly of yourself, go convince your friends and relatives to invest in you and start something to compete.

So, basically, "shit or get off the pot".
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: