Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:44:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero, Dash, or Zcash? Let's argue about it.  (Read 13082 times)
BitWhale (OP)

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 05:30:51 AM

Lol, I know there won't be any friendly discussion on the matter.

Which coin has the strongest features? I've heard each one has it's strong and weak points. I am unsure which has the least amount of weak points combined with the largest amount of benefits.

Zcash seems enticing to me, but there's that trust thing involved. How sure are we that the process was followed and secure?

I can't help but feel like Zcash displaced Dash/Monero because of it's superior features, but in reality, I have no clue if it's ACTUALLY superior. What do you all think?

Thank you.

Ps: I won't be arguing with you about it, that's not what I meant. I just know you guys will argue about it Tongue

Edit: Also, do coins like ByteBalls deserve a spot on this list? Are Dag chains going to be a future competitor? (no clue if any other coins in this list or elsewhere have implemented them it's purely just a example of a coin using a dagchain, just wanted to clarify)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hilteron

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 05:41:48 AM

Lol, I know there won't be any friendly discussion on the matter.

Which coin has the strongest features? I've heard each one has it's strong and weak points. I am unsure which has the least amount of weak points combined with the largest amount of benefits.

Zcash seems enticing to me, but there's that trust thing involved. How sure are we that the process was followed and secure?

I can't help but feel like Zcash displaced Dash/Monero because of it's superior features, but in reality, I have no clue if it's ACTUALLY superior. What do you all think?

Thank you.

Ps: I won't be arguing with you about it, that's not what I meant. I just know you guys will argue about it Tongue

Edit: Also, do coins like ByteBalls deserve a spot on this list? Are Dag chains going to be a future competitor?

I think Dash and Zcash are the best altcoins at the present . I still trade and hold these altcoins and many big whales invested to these coins
The value is always accepted on big exchanges and they will become the big competitors with bitcoin after then.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 07:40:27 AM

since you are not going to argue about it, I wouldn't either.

so I will mention another aspect. and that is the adoption. Monero has been around for many years and it has been adopted by many people. another good point that I give Monero is the fact that it is being used in real world as a currency for anonymous payments apart from being an investment. other altcoins are only investments and tools for traders to pump and dump.

so if I wanted to rank these three I go with Monero #1, Dash #2 and ZCash #10000 only because it is new and have been getting pump and dumped real hard.

Only Bitcoin
mandica

Activity: 693
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 08:37:30 AM

Monero has been around for a while and has a strong team behind it and probably the best features out of the three you mention. The unique selling point of Zcash is zk-SNARK with regards to anonymous transactions where sender / receiver and the amount may be hidden. DASH do not have any 'zero knowledge' tech. and relies on mixing of coins through the masternodes which can be temperamental and stealth addresses. Monero will soon implement a hard fork and introduce RingCT which will hide the transactions amount as well as the participants in the transactions and so will will offer the same as Zcash but with a wide adoption. Zcash will likely fall behind Monero and DASH is behind Zcash again. You will need to do some careful reading as there are potentially some centralisation issues with DASH and the masternodes. Monero now also has a GUI wallet whcih Zcash do not have yet.

I would also consider our project Spectrecoin as this represent another strand or anonymity w/ ring signatures ala. Monero and dual key stealth addresses. This means that there is no link between the sender and receiver. In addition to all this there is the aspect of hiding your IP through Tor or I2P. I know that we will have Tor integrated so that Spectrecoin can only be run under Tor and you will not need any additional software and always be secure. Monero will soon implement I2P. So my ranking would discard Zcash and DASH and out of the three focus on Monero. However, we (Spectre) will also become a contender as we have intentions of rolling out some Android infrastructure that will be used for cash transfer.

Happy New Year all...
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 10:19:54 AM

Dash has the ambition to become digital cash that even your own mother can use, which means it will need to be super user-friendly
while at the same time have all the elements that are already present in FIAT cash and have it all based on a digital decentralized model.

This mean Dash needs to be private, fast, secure, global, low fees, peer to peer and easy to use.
Currently Dash has all the above except ease of use, which will be addressed with the Dash Evolution update next year (or hopefully end of this year).

Dash also has a decentralized governance and budget model in place that is lacking in both Bitcoin, Monero and Zcash, making it much more
decentralized in its setup. Dash is actually a DAO (a Decentralized Autonomous Organisation) as everything from bottom to top is setup in
a decentralized way.

If we were to compare Dash with Monero and Zcash then not only are Monero and Zcash less decentralized in its governance system
but they also only focus on one aspect, which is the private aspect. Dash has much more to offer then just private transactions.

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 10:24:18 AM

Again ?

I invest little effort in understanding how they work so i can offer little in that regard.

I do think pushing towards an ANON coin based coin is self defeating though.
You fail right out of the gate.. doomed and destined toil in niche obscurity forever.
Battling Govts and hackers.

So maybe what you should be asking is which coin has dev's that are the planets most talented security experts.
Because it's one thing to create code and it's another to defend it and your billion dollar investors.

DAO ring a bell ?  Cheesy

I warned you kidiots and you won't listen.
And i sure as hell will be saying i told you so  Cool

FUD first & ask questions later™
noise2

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 10:59:19 AM

This mean Dash needs to be private, fast, secure, global, low fees, peer to peer and easy to use.
Currently Dash has all the above except ease of use, which will be addressed with the Dash Evolution update next year (or hopefully end of this year).

Except it doesn't work.

Zcash has some interesting promises, but with some fatal flaws. Unproven crypto which if broken allows the attacker to mint unlimited coins without anyone ever knowing about it. Combined with a subsidy for the developers quite similar to the Dash instamine in practice.

In the end both Dash and Zcash are just scams and shouldn't be touched with a stick.

Monero is the only serious choice.
qwizzie
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 11:01:12 AM

Except it doesn't work.

Zcash has some interesting promises, but with some fatal flaws. Unproven crypto which if broken allows the attacker to mint unlimited coins without anyone ever knowing about it. Combined with a subsidy for the developers quite similar to the Dash instamine in practice.

In the end both Dash and Zcash are just scams and shouldn't be touched with a stick.

Monero is the only serious choice.

Congratz with your new trolling account. That you may grow up as mighty a troll as cryptohunter and icey.

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
noise2

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 11:05:36 AM

If we were to compare Dash with Monero and Zcash then not only are Monero and Zcash less decentralized in its governance system
but they also only focus on one aspect, which is the private aspect. Dash has much more to offer then just private transactions.

And we're conveniently forgetting that the governance system of Dash is fatally flawed and not in any way decentralized as already explained by iamnotback/anynomint/etc numerous times. In short: masternodes fueled by the instamine generates more dash -> more masternodes leading to centralized governance.

Monero also has a dynamic blocksize and tail emission allowing for more stable scaling than the alternatives. The dev team is also one of the most transparent and competent in crypto space. It is only in your uninformed opinion that "they also only focus on one aspect".
qwizzie
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 11:10:29 AM

And we're conveniently forgetting that the governance system of Dash is fatally flawed and not in any way decentralized as already explained by iamnotback/anynomint/etc numerous times. In short: masternodes fueled by the instamine generates more dash -> more masternodes leading to centralized governance.

Monero also has a dynamic blocksize and tail emission allowing for more stable scaling than the alternatives. The dev team is also one of the most transparent and competent in crypto space. It is only in your uninformed opinion that "they also only focus on one aspect".

Not really as Dash has a yearly 7% cut in blockrewards (of which one is coming up next month), which means both masternodes / miners and our decentralized budget
will get less and less blockrewards / budget over time. This leads to more decentralization.

Next question please.

noise2

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 11:13:15 AM

Not really as Dash has a yearly 7% cut in blockrewards (of which one is coming up next month), which means both masternodes / miners and our decentralized budget
will get less and less blockrewards / budget over time. This leads to more decentralization.

How would that even begin to lead to more decentralization? You don't even know what you're talking about. It's already too late and this won't reverse the existing centralization..
mandica

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 11:18:16 AM

Next question please.

There seems to be around 4196 masternodes for DASH right now. The issue I see is that nobody knows how many MN each participant has. There maybe people with 100 or more MNs and so the governance could be extremely biased without there being any way to monitor or to assess this. With regards to cash. Cash is anonymous, only the payer and the payee knows the amount and what it is for and know each other, so this is as close to Monero as you can get once Monero forks in RingCT. At that point Monero will be as close to cash as any system and more so than DASH IMO.
elrippo
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 11:21:34 AM

Monero has the best tech in terms of privacy and fungibility.
We will see what the further adoption of Monero will bring in the future, but i am pretty sure it will pass Dash and Zcash by far, as it already does  Cool Grin Wink

For Advertisement. PM me to discuss.
qwizzie
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 11:26:09 AM

How would that even begin to lead to more decentralization? You don't even know what you're talking about. It's already too late and this won't reverse the existing centralization..

It is very simple but my apologies for thinking it was simple enough it needed no further explanation, but here you go :

Less blockrewards for masternodes means it will be getting more and more difficult for current masternode owners
to create new masternodes from the income of their already owned and running masternodes. This goes for both for early Dash starters
and for current masternode starters.

This will lead to a further decentralization where the influence of the early Dash starters simply deminish over time.

Of course Dash early starters will still have a big piece of the pie, just like in any early adapter situation. If you look at Monero's first miners
(using the not-crippled mining software of course), they too will have a big piece of the pie but their influence will not deminish like with Dash.

This due to how Dash has setup its blockchain blockrewards and how it handles the reduction in blockrewards.

qwizzie
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 11:31:19 AM

Next question please.

There seems to be around 4196 masternodes for DASH right now. The issue I see is that nobody knows how many MN each participant has. There maybe people with 100 or more MNs and so the governance could be extremely biased without there being any way to monitor or to assess this. With regards to cash. Cash is anonymous, only the payer and the payee knows the amount and what it is for and know each other, so this is as close to Monero as you can get once Monero forks in RingCT. At that point Monero will be as close to cash as any system and more so than DASH IMO.

Its actually 4220 (http://178.254.23.111/~pub/masternode_count.png), but who is counting 24K dash more or less ...
Let me ask you some simple questions : how many full nodes does Monero currently have running ? and how big is their blockchain size ?

Know the answer to those two questions and you will see why Monero will not be able to support digital cash like dash is striving to do.

elrippo
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 11:41:52 AM

Next question please.

Its actually 4220 (http://178.254.23.111/~pub/masternode_count.png), but who is counting 24K dash more or less ...
Let me ask you some simple questions : how many full nodes does Monero currently have running ? and how big is their blockchain size ?

Know the answer to those two questions and you will see why Monero will not be able to support digital cash like dash is striving to do.

Currently about 533 full nodes at around 16 GB.
Now i would like to see your technical analysis why Monero would not be able to support digital cash as you understand it  Roll Eyes

For Advertisement. PM me to discuss.
mandica

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 11:48:12 AM

Next question please.

I was going for unique IPs
Total Masternodes: 4229 = 4224 actives + 5 inactives [4197 unique IPs] (Last refresh: Sun Jan 01 2017 11:42:04 AM)

but this is really besides the point. The point is that I know that some people got a lot of MNs some time ago when DASH price was significantly lower than today. My only point re. MNs is that you do not know who is running them and how many. Myabe the FBI is running 100? Who knows, right. And why when asked do the DASH team not consider implementing zk-SNARK or similar?
qwizzie
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 11:55:36 AM

Next question please.

Currently about 533 full nodes at around 16 GB.
Now i would like to see your technical analysis why Monero would not be able to support digital cash as you understand it  Roll Eyes

Its very simple :

https://www.ethernodes.org/network/1
Ethereum nodes (incl all wallets) : 4635

https://coin.dance/nodes#share
Bitcoin Core Nodes : 4630

http://178.254.23.111/~pub/masternode_count.png
Dash Full nodes : 4220

https://monerohash.com/nodes-distribution.html
Monero Full nodes : 533

Due to the limited number of full nodes (centralization) and the rather large blockchain size Monero will hit the exact same problem
as Bitcoin : full nodes will be dropping more and more due to increased blockchain size as there is no financial motivation for users to keep them running.

Also take into account that trading of Monero takes place purely on Poloniex (centralization & vulnurability to manipulation) and you will have a very centralized
Monero with very real problems on how to upscale to handle all those million and million of transactions that digital cash will bring with it.

qwizzie
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 12:00:29 PM

Next question please.

I was going for unique IPs
Total Masternodes: 4229 = 4224 actives + 5 inactives [4197 unique IPs] (Last refresh: Sun Jan 01 2017 11:42:04 AM)

but this is really besides the point. The point is that I know that some people got a lot of MNs some time ago when DASH price was significantly lower than today. My only point re. MNs is that you do not know who is running them and how many. Myabe the FBI is running 100? Who knows, right. And why when asked do the DASH team not consider implementing zk-SNARK or similar?

Anything that can increase our privacy, while maintaining our open-ledger system like Bitcoin has will be looked into. But unfortunetely zk-SNARKS will lead to a closed ledger,
which means Dash can not continue with the route towards Dash Evolution and mainstream adaption (as that requires compatability with Bitcoin's open ledger model).    

BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2017, 12:05:55 PM

any coin that has not been around for at least a year or two can not be compared with those coins that have been around for a very long time, kept the price up, and have been battle hardened. i am talking about Zcash, you should not even compare it with big coins like Monero or Dash. let it stay around for at least a year and if its price was still above $5 then we can talk Smiley

--looking for signature--
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: