Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:48:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How about an invitation-only private bitcoin exchange? For trusted individuals  (Read 872 times)
forbun (OP)

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 06:28:21 AM

We wouldn't have to worry as much about scaling and security: we'd keep it secret as much as possible, and grow only by word-of-mouth and direct referrals.

Fees will be the same as Mt.Gox. Members will be able to arbitrage any price difference so the price will end up being similar.

I'm a web developer (but not a bitcoin developer yet) so I can help make this happen.

What name would you give to the smallest unit of bitcoin (0.00000001)? sat. What name would you give to 100 sats? bit. 1 bit = 1 uBTC. 1,000,000 bits = 1 BTC. It's bits
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DarkPunk

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:30:20 AM

We wouldn't have to worry as much about scaling and security: we'd keep it secret as much as possible, and grow only by word-of-mouth and direct referrals.

Fees will be the same as Mt.Gox. Members will be able to arbitrage any price difference so the price will end up being similar.

I'm a web developer (but not a bitcoin developer yet) so I can help make this happen.

All I see is encouraging people to sell their invites to the highest bitter.  This is why we have the WOT.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:30:57 AM

Tradehill beat you to it Sad

forbun (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 06:34:48 AM

DarkPunk: what's WOT? web of trust?

we won't be giving out "invites". the invitation system is not for publicity. it is for exclusivity. so people will be added slowly, as the site is able to handle them, by discussions among existing members and perhaps a 'board of directors'. it would be a private organization.

Maged: there's no reason there couldn't be more than one private exchange. in fact, there should ideally be at least hundreds, at minimum for different communities/countries/currencies. we could build some open source software that makes it easy for someone to establish a new exchange.

What name would you give to the smallest unit of bitcoin (0.00000001)? sat. What name would you give to 100 sats? bit. 1 bit = 1 uBTC. 1,000,000 bits = 1 BTC. It's bits
DarkPunk

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:37:03 AM

DarkPunk: what's WOT? web of trust?

we won't be giving out "invites". the invitation system is not for publicity. it is for exclusivity. so people will be added slowly, as the site is able to handle them, by discussions among existing members and perhaps a 'board of directors'. it would be a private organization.

Are you telling me at some point someone isn't going to try and sell invites on the deepnet?  You have a lot of faith in people my friend.

Maged: there's no reason there couldn't be more than one private exchange. in fact, there should ideally be at least hundreds, at minimum for different communities/countries/currencies. we could build some open source software that makes it easy for someone to establish a new exchange.

bitcoin-central is rumored to be going opensource.  If you wanted an exchange framework made to be opensource, you could always try opening a public bounty to get a developer to make one.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:46:52 AM
Last edit: April 12, 2013, 12:51:48 PM by jackjack

I think this is a good idea
I'm a web+bitcoin developer if this idea takes off and help is needed
About invites black market, the identities could(should?) be linked to this forum username, thanks to signing with addresses in signatures for example

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 02:10:33 PM

This doesnt solve the trust issue, it would only obfuscate it.
It is very very bad to create exclusive private clubs that pretend to be institutions.
It is exactly why fiat is failing and if bitcoin becomes dependent on such clubs it will fail too.
forbun (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 10:20:32 PM

DarkPunk: currently I'm thinking there will be no "invites" to sell. there's no invite code or anything, so there's just nothing to sell. members will join by direct referral, i.e. "Hey Steve Adams, I know you and you love bitcoin so I'll recommend to the community that you get an account." Then, here's your secret link and account info. You don't get "invites" per se, you just get to recommend friends to join the community.

nwbitcoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 11:08:14 PM

from an ideology point of view, isn't this exactly what bitcoin was invented to stop?

A closed shop with a high barrier to entry is how you create cartels, while they start innocently enough, they end up being the elite power brokers who control a market, kill competition and make sure that an alternative bitcoin is created that is decentralised with no power brokers!

I don't want to be a member of any club that will accept me as a member! Wink

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: