Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:14:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is a $0,032/kWh electricity good for mining ?  (Read 1333 times)
Kopplex (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 10:15:47 AM

Hello, I'm thinking on taking some Antminer S7 and start mining but I'm wondering if it'll be profitable with a $0,032/kWh electricity ?
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2017, 10:18:57 AM

Hello, I'm thinking on taking some Antminer S7 and start mining but I'm wondering if it'll be profitable with a $0,032/kWh electricity ?

http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/bitcoin-mining-calculator/?h=4860&p=1210&pc=0,032&pf=0.00&d=317688400354.03400000&r=12.50000000&er=900.57000000&hc=0.00

Long story short, at current diff, price and block reward, you'd make about 100 bucks a month.

Now, you can see which risk you're willing to take... see how much an S7 + PSU + air conditioning + shelves + tax + shipping would cost you, divide it by 100 and see how long it'll take you to break even.
Do realise the price is dropping, the diff might rise, the block reward will halve in a couple of years,... I'd personally guesstimate i'd make $70/month instead of $100 to incorporate the risks, and i'd personally want to break even in less than 6 months... So, personally , i would only undertake this endaveour if my total purchase and setup costs were lower than ~ 6 * 70 = $420... but then again, i'm not really a risktaker Wink

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Kopplex (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 10:40:31 AM

http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/bitcoin-mining-calculator/?h=4860&p=1210&pc=0,032&pf=0.00&d=317688400354.03400000&r=12.50000000&er=900.57000000&hc=0.00

Long story short, at current diff, price and block reward, you'd make about 100 bucks a month.

Now, you can see which risk you're willing to take... see how much an S7 + PSU + air conditioning + shelves + tax + shipping would cost you, divide it by 100 and see how long it'll take you to break even.
Do realise the price is dropping, the diff might rise, the block reward will halve in a couple of years,... I'd personally guesstimate i'd make $70/month instead of $100 to incorporate the risks, and i'd personally want to break even in less than 6 months... So, personally , i would only undertake this endaveour if my total purchase and setup costs were lower than ~ 6 * 70 = $420... but then again, i'm not really a risktaker Wink

Thank you for your answer,
$420 for all the setup is just impossible in my case Sad just the shipping price will cost me like $100...
But why would you want to break in less than 6 months? I have read that the Antiminer S7 have 5 years lifetime, is this true or just bullshit? also I wanted to know what is the importance of the batch number when buying a miner.
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2017, 10:51:01 AM

$420 for all the setup is just impossible in my case Sad just the shipping price will cost me like $100...
But why would you want to break in less than 6 months? I have read that the Antiminer S7 have 5 years lifetime, is this true or just bullshit? also I wanted to know what is the importance of the batch number when buying a miner.

I must confess that i haven't mined in a long time (my electricity rate is really, really, high, so i turned off my gear a long time ago), so i don't have any S7's... But from what i've read over time, is that the S7 is a more reliable than the S9, but not as reliable as some other models/brands. That being said, i would always want to break even in 6 months because:

• there is always a chance the gear will break, and since bitmain only offers 90 days guarantee, you'll never see your investment again
  • the price fluctuates
  • the diff fluctuates
  • your luck might fluctuate
  • the blocks will halve from BTC12.5 to BTC6.25 in 2020

All these factors, coupled with the fact that i'm not a risk takes, would result in a maximum of $420 if i would be in your case. Offcourse, if you're willing to take a risk, you could potentially go for longer break even period...

The batches are important because bitmain tends to have significant differences between batches... Speed, power consumption, lifetime might vary greatly between two batches.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 12:08:46 PM

I must confess that i haven't mined in a long time (my electricity rate is really, really, high, so i turned off my gear a long time ago), so i don't have any S7's... But from what i've read over time, is that the S7 is a more reliable than the S9, but not as reliable as some other models/brands. That being said, i would always want to break even in 6 months because:

• there is always a chance the gear will break, and since bitmain only offers 90 days guarantee, you'll never see your investment again
  • the price fluctuates
  • the diff fluctuates
  • your luck might fluctuate
  • the blocks will halve from BTC12.5 to BTC6.25 in 2020

All these factors, coupled with the fact that i'm not a risk takes, would result in a maximum of $420 if i would be in your case. Offcourse, if you're willing to take a risk, you could potentially go for longer break even period...

The batches are important because bitmain tends to have significant differences between batches... Speed, power consumption, lifetime might vary greatly between two batches.
The S7 is a great way to go with such cheap electricity. Generally all S7 batches work well unlike the S9's where you generally don't want auto tune, which was added in the later batches.

Of course you will also need to dust and check on the miner every once in a while and do basic maintenance, but generally the S7's are nice and durable and don't break as much as S9s.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 07:46:43 AM

because otherwise you are taking a gamble against the diff, that always increase especially in a bull trend like this

there is big margin in profit for miners now, so don't expect that they will not add more hash, it's always better to roi fast

if your electricity isn't a problem like it look, you can try a s5 also, far cheaper is second hand
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 08:46:54 AM

With that electricity I would go for the S9 miner. In China with the right knowledge (i.e aliexpress, verify everything thoroughly there) you can get the S9 Antminer less than 2000 USD and with that price for electricity you can make at this moment :

http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/bitcoin-mining-calculator/?h=14000&p=2350&pc=0.032&pf=0.00&d=317688400354.03400000&r=12.50000000&er=913.53000000&hc=0.00

250 USD net profit monthly so you need about 6-8 months to break even. Then you will have profit. And with that electricity you can be profitable for a long time. In this case I would be a risk taker but can't as in my country energy is f*cking expensive 0.16 USD/kWh.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
Kopplex (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 09:58:58 AM

With that electricity I would go for the S9 miner. In China with the right knowledge (i.e aliexpress, verify everything thoroughly there) you can get the S9 Antminer less than 2000 USD and with that price for electricity you can make at this moment :

http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/bitcoin-mining-calculator/?h=14000&p=2350&pc=0.032&pf=0.00&d=317688400354.03400000&r=12.50000000&er=913.53000000&hc=0.00

250 USD net profit monthly so you need about 6-8 months to break even. Then you will have profit. And with that electricity you can be profitable for a long time. In this case I would be a risk taker but can't as in my country energy is f*cking expensive 0.16 USD/kWh.

To be honest the exact price of my electricity isn't $0.032/kWh, we have like consumption ranges with different prices, for example if I consume 2793  kWh in a trimester (we pay every 3 months), the price is calculated like this :
The first 125 kWh are for $0,01/kWh +
The second 125 kWh are for $0,024/kWh +
750 kWh are for $0,028/kWh +
The last remaining 1793 kWh are for $0,032/kWh

So basically if I would run one antminer S7, the electricity would cost me around $100/trimester.
I know that with a S9 it would be more profitable, but as it's my really first time in mining I want to try first with small hardware.

I've came across some listings on AliExpress especially this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bitcoin-Miner-Antminer-S7-4-73TH-Asic-Miner-4730GH-Newest-Btc-Miner-Better-Than-Antminer/32611434906.html
If you guys can tell me what do you think about it, I think I'll order this one because he offer a 1600W PSU with the miner and the shipping is for free ( and the vendor have 94.5% Positive feedback and they have been on aliexpress for 3 years.) but if you have better choices for me please let me know  Smiley

mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2017, 10:17:49 AM

To be honest the exact price of my electricity isn't $0.032/kWh, we have like consumption ranges with different prices, for example if I consume 2793  kWh in a trimester (we pay every 3 months), the price is calculated like this :
The first 125 kWh are for $0,01/kWh +
The second 125 kWh are for $0,024/kWh +
750 kWh are for $0,028/kWh +
The last remaining 1793 kWh are for $0,032/kWh

So basically if I would run one antminer S7, the electricity would cost me around $100/trimester.
I know that with a S9 it would be more profitable, but as it's my really first time in mining I want to try first with small hardware.

I've came across some listings on AliExpress especially this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bitcoin-Miner-Antminer-S7-4-73TH-Asic-Miner-4730GH-Newest-Btc-Miner-Better-Than-Antminer/32611434906.html
If you guys can tell me what do you think about it, I think I'll order this one because he offer a 1600W PSU with the miner and the shipping is for free ( and the vendor have 94.5% Positive feedback and they have been on aliexpress for 3 years.) but if you have better choices for me please let me know  Smiley

I don't know this seller, but if i remember correctly, i've seen S7's on this forum going for around $400 (in BTC).
Given that the shipping is free, and you get a PSU, it might be a reasonable deal.

Don't forget: maybe the shipping is free, the customs charges might actually cost rather much. I know in some countries, those charges go up to 50€ + 20% (or even more)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Kopplex (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 11:11:48 AM

I don't know this seller, but if i remember correctly, i've seen S7's on this forum going for around $400 (in BTC).
Given that the shipping is free, and you get a PSU, it might be a reasonable deal.

Don't forget: maybe the shipping is free, the customs charges might actually cost rather much. I know in some countries, those charges go up to 50€ + 20% (or even more)

That's actually the thing I'm worried about right now : the customs.
There are only 2 countries in the world where UPS, FEDEX, DHL, guarantee the delivery only until the customs, after that they removes any responsibility ( the first one is North Korea   Grin )
If you ask someone from my country to describe our customs using one word, they'll directly choose "thief"  Sad , they're reputed for stealing everything especially electronics stuff, they're basically making their own laws, sometime they'll charge you 75% for a graphic card and sometime they'll charge you 0% for a PS3 (both are true stories), I hope I'll not have problems with them,I think I might ask the vendor to fake the price on the invoice to avoid those thief, but I know that they do a research with the item reference on google and the first price they see on ebay or amazon they'll make it the original price  Huh.
shield132

Activity: 2212
Merit: 853

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 12:09:38 PM

Is aliexpress safe place to buy antminers? They are china company but is bitmain officially selling their products here? I haven't checked it but I have seen that prices are more lower and also shipping costs.

So what's about threads subject, that electricity price is really good to start mining and in my town, Bitfury is paying that price on electiricity and while there was created their biggest datacenter and millions were invested, it means it is profitableand to my mind even with low budget it worths but it will be better to buy latest antminer.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 03:46:22 PM

Is aliexpress safe place to buy antminers? They are china company but is bitmain officially selling their products here? I haven't checked it but I have seen that prices are more lower and also shipping costs.

So what's about threads subject, that electricity price is really good to start mining and in my town, Bitfury is paying that price on electiricity and while there was created their biggest datacenter and millions were invested, it means it is profitableand to my mind even with low budget it worths but it will be better to buy latest antminer.

Yes its good, yes its safeish. Aliexpress is a China Ebay, basically. If you pay with CC you can always chargeback so...
I have no personal experience buying Antminer there, but thats usually where i pick up my risers at half price.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Mbah Slamet

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 03:18:36 AM

With the price of electricity 3,2 cents certainly very profitable if we are mining. Moreover, the current price of almost $1,000. I recommend for immediate mining, since the level of difficulty increases later.
Kopplex (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 11:04:49 AM

Well I'm going to make the payment today for this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bitcoin-Miner-Antminer-S7-4-73TH-Asic-Miner-4730GH-Newest-Btc-Miner-Better-Than-Antminer/32611434906.html
I hope I'll not have problems with the customs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: