Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:21:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did I screw up?  (Read 2040 times)
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:11:19 PM

Right now - its not very good.

Do you think I should try and resell them? Try and mitigate my losses for the time being and reattempt in a few days? Or should I just ride it out and see what I can make in the future?

lol, this is what is causing the panic.

Shit, I bought at 250, I better sell at 120 before they become worthless.

Then you get scared when it gets back to 200, so you buy again.

Then it drops to 80 so you sell once more.

Then it breaks 100, so you buy at 105.

Now it's 70, so you sell them again.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Despite multiple DDoS attacks to the exchanges and following a major crash (THE major [1st ever] crash) - it's been remarkably stable past 1/2 day.

ROFL, the 1st ever crash, major crash? You guys are funny. Looking at a two week period, I hardly call going from 85 to 70 a major crash. If you look at it on a per hour basis, yeah, going from 200 plus into the 100's sure is scary.

This is what I am trying to avoid, I don't want to fall over myself making irrational decisions with my investments.

In your position, would you have bought BTC for that price? Or would you have potentially waited longer before buying?

What is your investment strategy? If you don't have one, get out.

If you're long on bitcoin because you believe in it and want to have it be worth a lot down the road, invest in it regularly. In highs, and lows, do it on a regular basis.

If you feel you paid too much at $100, buy some now that it is $67, the same 2.5 you did at $100. Your new rate per BTC is now in the 80's. Sounds better than $100.

But don't listen to me, I'm not a day trader.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mogwai

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:13:46 PM

You'll only get opinions from other people that do not necessarily know more than you.

I would not sell at this time. I believe that they will rise once again, though it could take a while, because the btc did not really crash in my opinion.

I never bought any btc, to answer your question.
CodyCot (OP)

Activity: 50

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:14:16 PM

Hi All,

Looking for some advice.

I consider myself to be an amateur in terms of investing, especially with Bitcoins.

Recently, I decided to jump on the bandwagon and purchase some Bitcoins, although, I believe that I was smart enough to wait until the peak collapsed so I could buy some Bitcoins for cheap and wait for the price to rise above what I paid for.

I bought 2.5 coins (not much, I know, but this is just a start for me) at $103 USD.

Was this foolish? Should I try to resell my coins and wait for them to lower a bit more? Or do you believe that they will rise once again?

I think I may have screwed myself a little...

Thanks

Any time you "jump on a bandwagon" when investing, you're probably not being wise. One doesn't make money by "jumping on a bandwagon". You do it by predicting what the next big thing is and buying it before the masses discover it. Witness how many people were still buying houses in 2005-2006, and then lost their shirts when the housing market crashed. Look at how as the Dow hit record highs recently, ordinary investors have been pouring money into mutual funds. Guess who is going to lose the most when the stock market next corrects?

So yes, it was probably foolish to jump in during a phase of rapid price appreciation (you want to buy when the price of something goes down, not when it goes up), but it's also totally understandable. Bitcoin is exciting.

If I were you, I'd just hold onto them now.

I agree, I believe I jumped at the opportunity because I do view them as exciting, it's a (relatively) new digital currency! The way of the future y'know?

Thank you for the advice, I will use this knowledge to better my investments in the future.

Also, welcome to the Forums! I see that post was your first Smiley
CodyCot (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:15:52 PM

Right now - its not very good.

Do you think I should try and resell them? Try and mitigate my losses for the time being and reattempt in a few days? Or should I just ride it out and see what I can make in the future?

lol, this is what is causing the panic.

Shit, I bought at 250, I better sell at 120 before they become worthless.

Then you get scared when it gets back to 200, so you buy again.

Then it drops to 80 so you sell once more.

Then it breaks 100, so you buy at 105.

Now it's 70, so you sell them again.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Despite multiple DDoS attacks to the exchanges and following a major crash (THE major [1st ever] crash) - it's been remarkably stable past 1/2 day.

ROFL, the 1st ever crash, major crash? You guys are funny. Looking at a two week period, I hardly call going from 85 to 70 a major crash. If you look at it on a per hour basis, yeah, going from 200 plus into the 100's sure is scary.

This is what I am trying to avoid, I don't want to fall over myself making irrational decisions with my investments.

In your position, would you have bought BTC for that price? Or would you have potentially waited longer before buying?

If you're long on bitcoin because you believe in it and want to have it be worth a lot down the road, invest in it regularly. In highs, and lows, do it on a regular basis.

If you feel you paid too much at $100, buy some now that it is $67, the same 2.5 you did at $100. Your new rate per BTC is now in the 80's. Sounds better than $100.

From what I am aware of, I don't have an investment strategy, how would I go about developing one? What kind of mindset do I require? Would you have any helpful advice for me?

This purchase was my first ever investment. I suspect I will start off very shakey but will adapt with time.
MGUK

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:16:15 PM

I would hold too.  I think $260 was overvalued for now, but I don't think it will be in the future. Things can only get better. As observed, all this news is bringing interest to Bitcoin, shaking of the image it got when SilkRoad first came around. The further we are away from association with silkroad, the more legitimate vendors take Bitcoin, the more Bitcoins are required, the less they're produced the more they go up in value/

Personally, I'm going for the long game, not selling any coins any time soon, just slowly buying.

As someone pointed out, a year or 2 ago, a bubble burst at $32 and the mainstream media exclaimed it was the end of Bitcoin. Earlier this week, we got nearly 10 times that peak. It's crashed, and once again, the media is exclaiming the end for Bitcoin.

Within the next 10, maybe even 5 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bitcoin go over $500 (I also wouldn't be surprised to see it superseded though.)
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:18:37 PM

From what I am aware of, I don't have an investment strategy, how would I go about developing one? What kind of mindset do I require? Would you have any helpful advice for me?

This purchase was my first ever investment. I suspect I will start off very shakey but will adapt with time.

Do you know anything more about bitcoin than it sounds like a good investment? You already said you have no investment strategy. Go dump your coins, cash out and forget about bitcoin for a few years.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
CodyCot (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:22:45 PM

I would hold too.  I think $260 was overvalued for now, but I don't think it will be in the future. Things can only get better. As observed, all this news is bringing interest to Bitcoin, shaking of the image it got when SilkRoad first came around. The further we are away from association with silkroad, the more legitimate vendors take Bitcoin, the more Bitcoins are required, the less they're produced the more they go up in value/

Personally, I'm going for the long game, not selling any coins any time soon, just slowly buying.

As someone pointed out, a year or 2 ago, a bubble burst at $32 and the mainstream media exclaimed it was the end of Bitcoin. Earlier this week, we got nearly 10 times that peak. It's crashed, and once again, the media is exclaiming the end for Bitcoin.

Within the next 10, maybe even 5 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bitcoin go over $500 (I also wouldn't be surprised to see it superseded though.)

I think the long game may be best. Just wait for the time to strike on the market so to speak.

Do you know anything more about bitcoin than it sounds like a good investment? You already said you have no investment strategy. Go dump your coins, cash out and forget about bitcoin for a few years.

You don't think that I should just wait and watch now?

Also, I understand the basic fundamentals behind Bitcoins, although I am able to learn more by studying them.

Just as an aside, do you have an investment strategy? Would you be kind enough to share your knowledge with me?
Anonymouss

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:26:01 PM

Good purchase but remember bitcoins are not meant to be an investment, you need to use it as currency.
CodyCot (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:29:02 PM

Good purchase but remember bitcoins are not meant to be an investment, you need to use it as currency.

Yes, I've seen other people mention that on this forum. I will watch the market for the time being and I may end up spending them on something worthwhile instead.

Thanks for the input my friend Smiley
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:30:50 PM

If you bought as an investment, then think long term. plan on holding them a year or 2 or 10. then you can ignore these little burps in the price. Or, you can take advantage of these drops to increase your holdings. one caveat though, never speculate with more money than you can afford to lose.
CodyCot (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:33:17 PM

If you bought as an investment, then think long term. plan on holding them a year or 2 or 10. then you can ignore these little burps in the price. Or, you can take advantage of these drops to increase your holdings. one caveat though, never speculate with more money than you can afford to lose.

Thank you for the advice.

Yes, that was the first part of wisdom I managed to soak up. I've gotta watch over my funds so that I don't drop more than I can afford into BTC.

I think my plan will be to slowly buy up over the course of years and then just bide my time.
markymark

Activity: 19

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:34:55 PM

This is good advice. The key with investing is to #1 get in early (and we still are...)

#2... you want to buy all the way down

#3... consider selling on the way up.

Most people do it the other way around and buy high and sell low.

miyamoto

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:35:09 PM

+1
CodyCot (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:41:07 PM

This is good advice. The key with investing is to #1 get in early (and we still are...)

#2... you want to buy all the way down

#3... consider selling on the way up.

Most people do it the other way around and buy high and sell low.

Yes, I don't understand the mentality of wanting to buy high and sell low. I did not realise that losing money was the overall goal!

When you say buy all the way down, do you mean if I start to see a dip, I should buy slowly but continuously until it starts to climb again, then begin selling?
MGUK

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:41:36 PM

I think the ultimate thing to remember is Bitcoin is unpredictable.

You can predict some things almost (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=171423.0) but there are so many variables involved determining the price of Bitcoin.

Here's a few things which I suspect influence the price of Bitcoin in different amounts:
 - media coverage
 - gox lag
 - service hacks
 - silkroad success
 - mining botnets
 - electricity prices
 - laws of all different jurisdictions
 - world financial crisis
 - individual countries financial crisis
 - the day of the week (e.g. there tends to be a dip just before the weekend)
 - alt currencies
 - forks in the chain
 - client updates
 - miner hardware progression (e.g. ASICs)
 and many many more.

What's more, they all interact, counteract, synergize and generally effect each other in even more unpredictable ways. I used to try do day trading, and even built a small day trade bot as a chrome extension for Britcoin when that was still around, but it's stressful and risky, hence me going for the long game now.

The right strategy though is what's right for you. Everyone lives in different countries, uses different exchanges, has different wages, is awake at different times, has different grasps of number and tolerates different levels of stress & risk.

You seem keen though - ride it out and stick with it. Learn about Bitcoin and it's community and why/how it works, that way even if you lose all your money, you'll still gain some truly amazing, fascinating and inspiring knowledge.
CodyCot (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:54:50 PM

I think the ultimate thing to remember is Bitcoin is unpredictable.

You can predict some things almost (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=171423.0) but there are so many variables involved determining the price of Bitcoin.

Here's a few things which I suspect influence the price of Bitcoin in different amounts:
 - media coverage
 - gox lag
 - service hacks
 - silkroad success
 - mining botnets
 - electricity prices
 - laws of all different jurisdictions
 - world financial crisis
 - individual countries financial crisis
 - the day of the week (e.g. there tends to be a dip just before the weekend)
 - alt currencies
 - forks in the chain
 - client updates
 - miner hardware progression (e.g. ASICs)
 and many many more.

What's more, they all interact, counteract, synergize and generally effect each other in even more unpredictable ways. I used to try do day trading, and even built a small day trade bot as a chrome extension for Britcoin when that was still around, but it's stressful and risky, hence me going for the long game now.

The right strategy though is what's right for you. Everyone lives in different countries, uses different exchanges, has different wages, is awake at different times, has different grasps of number and tolerates different levels of stress & risk.

You seem keen though - ride it out and stick with it. Learn about Bitcoin and it's community and why/how it works, that way even if you lose all your money, you'll still gain some truly amazing, fascinating and inspiring knowledge.

Yes, it is extremely unpredictable. Because of that fact, it is simply amazing.

Thanks for this summary of different factors, I will need to find a way of briefly observing each one over periods of time to try and perceive the future market.

Yes, even at the end of the day, if I lost everything I will come away with the experience, that is something I will never lose.
drrd85

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:04:49 PM

important lesson don't jump on the bandwagon
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 05:07:03 PM

I bought 2.5 coins (not much, I know, but this is just a start for me) at $103 USD.

Congratulations, looser  Grin

P.S. By the way, what did you buy those coins for? Did you need to pay for something, or did you wish to help some other guy to pay for his porsche?

MGUK

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:24:30 PM

Congratulations, looser  Grin

P.S. By the way, what did you buy those coins for? Did you need to pay for something, or did you wish to help some other guy to pay for his porsche?

"An idiot is someone that doesn't know something you only just learnt "

What price did you buy your Bitcoins at? Given you only joined the forum a month or so ago, I'm guessing $30 - $50? Chump.
checksum

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:00:36 PM

wow - you guys are raging hard-ons.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: