Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:55:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spam Terracoin?  (Read 6961 times)
dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:19:23 PM
Last edit: April 13, 2013, 05:54:16 PM by dreamwatcher

All IPs listed above were submitting or relaying invalid blocks, which is very bad thing so banscore went from 0 -> 100 immidiately. Listed IPs are of
those who use older wallet versions, so not neccessarily an attacker but I've listed them anyway. From my perspective, there is not so much difference
between ignoring mandatory updates and intentionaly attacking the network.

I am in this list. I compiled the client from git master's head less than 24h ago. What nonsense is this? The chain is forked by the devs at a whim?

Same for me. As soon as I saw the new client and before I started mining at P2Pool, I updated my client to terracoin-0.1.3-33-win32.
I only setup my P2Pool 7-8 hours ago because multipool.in was giving me trouble again and I wanted to mine TRC.

I'm looking around but can't find any newer, so I don't think the problem is at my side.
But I still get banned.

DO NOT WORRY IF YOU ARE ON A NODES BANNED LIST...AND PLEASE STOP PUBLISHING NODE BANNED LISTS

Publish away!!!!

Unless you are having problems connecting to the network, and are being blocked by multiple nodes, it is nothing to worry about.

Just make sure you are using the latest client. TRC is having enough issues without starting another completely unnecessary fire.

"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gyverlb

Activity: 896

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:19:49 PM

All IPs listed above were submitting or relaying invalid blocks, which is very bad thing so banscore went from 0 -> 100 immidiately. Listed IPs are of
those who use older wallet versions, so not neccessarily an attacker but I've listed them anyway. From my perspective, there is not so much difference

I am in this list. I compiled the client from git master's head less than 24h ago. What nonsense is this? The chain is forked by the devs at a whim?

Just did a git pull, saw one commit, git diff HEAD^ shows ugly hacks testing a minimum block that was already reached.

The commit was published less than 24h before it was needed to remain on the main chain, that's quite brutal. I wonder if all exchanges are on the right chain and how they will react if they aren't...

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:22:15 PM

Just did a git pull, saw one commit, git diff HEAD^ shows ugly hacks testing a minimum block that was already reached.

The commit was published less than 24h before it was needed to remain on the main chain, that's quite brutal. I wonder if all exchanges are on the right chain and how they will react if they aren't...

These are my statistics from P2Pool.
Why are there 104.xxx and 100.xxx blocks? Or isn't that the blockchain?

MaGNeT
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:24:10 PM

But what does it mean now my IP is on that "ban list"?

Can I still mine Terracoin from my home-IP?
Can I still transfer Terracoin from my home-IP?
How do I get off that list?

edit: Back to Litecoin mining. PM me when you fix this.
It means nothing.

It means a lot since Terracoin is legit hard-forked on block 104290. Banscore 100 is absolutely rare in normal occassions. For example, double spend attempt
(sending tx which constains already spent outputs) will earn you banscore of just 10.

@ MaGNeT

Reset your IP than start wallet again. When in miner, check what difficulty it shows, write it down, wait the next block then compare difficulty you
wrote down with one shown on Terracoin explorer. If they are same, you are fine.

Reset my IP? How do you mean? I have this IP for 4 years now and can't be changed.
gyverlb

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:24:54 PM

DO NOT WORRY IF YOU ARE ON A NODES BANNED LIST...AND PLEASE STOP PUBLISHING NODE BANNED LISTS

Unless you are having problems connecting to the network, and are being blocked by multiple nodes, it is nothing to worry about.

Just make sure you are using the latest client. TRC is having enough issues without starting another completely unnecessary fire.

To avoid such confusions the devs might want to publish chain forking changes a little bit earlier (less than a day, seriously?) and/or broadcast a message like Bitcoin devs did when their chain forked.

Apparently they are even quite a lot of miners on a previous fork (so that makes it at least 3 simultaneous TRC chains) on P2Pool as MaGNet's previous post shows.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
MaGNeT
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:26:54 PM

To avoid such confusions the devs might want to publish chain forking changes a little bit earlier (less than a day, seriously?) and/or broadcast a message like Bitcoin devs did when their chain forked.

Apparently they are even quite a lot of miners on a previous fork (so that makes it at least 3 simultaneous TRC chains) on P2Pool as MaGNet's previous post shows.

Both my clients are @ block 104.380 as we speak.
I am able to move coins around, just tested it with 0.5 TRC
MessyCoin

Activity: 458
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:32:49 PM

I compile for linux by pulling from git with:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/terracoin/terracoin.git

After doing this and compiling, "About Terracoin" says v0.1.3rc0-beta ... is this the latest version? If not, what am I doing wrong here? thanks!

EDIT: I have previously been told to ignore the resulting terracoin version numbers when compiling myself.. mainly interested to confirm I am getting the latest code by cloning from git like this.

EEDIT: If I'm NOT getting the latest version here, then how to get the proper linux source?

webosftw

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:33:11 PM

http://terracoin.org/news/
Official news posted about the situation.
MaGNeT
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:33:39 PM

Same for me. As soon as I saw the new client and before I started mining at P2Pool, I updated my client to terracoin-0.1.3-33-win32.
I only setup my P2Pool 7-8 hours ago because multipool.in was giving me trouble again and I wanted to mine TRC.

I'm looking around but can't find any newer, so I don't think the problem is at my side.
But I still get banned.

As long as I'm on a "nodes banned list" and nobody can explain why, I have all reasons to worry.

I'm trying to mine TRC but it looks broken to me, that's worrying me because I have a shitload of them and I am afraid to send them to BTC-E because I don't know if BTC-E is on the right fork now.
MaGNeT
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:36:40 PM

I already have this version for 10 hours or so. When I woke up, I updated my wallet to -33 and installed/configured Python, Twister and P2Pool because multipool.in was offline, again...
While mining P2Pool, approx. 30% of my mined coins disappeared (rejected), others (before and after) matured without problems.
gyverlb

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:47:20 PM

I'm on Linux, these are useless to me.

git master compiled version shows :
Terracoin version v0.1.2-51-gd147fa7-dirty-beta (2013-04-09 20:48:28 +0200)

This version is obviously bogus: the resulting binary behaves like the newest fork (it orphaned several blocks).

But what matters is the protocol version supported:

Code:
terracoind getinfo
{
    "version" : 80000,
    "protocolversion" : 70001,
    "walletversion" : 60000,
    "balance" : 0.00000000,
    "blocks" : 104383,
    "timeoffset" : -2,
    "connections" : 12,
    "proxy" : "",
    "difficulty" : 5254.96236407,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1365634022,
    "keypoolsize" : 101,
    "paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
    "errors" : ""
}

So to sum things up:
  • the repository doesn't have all the files used to build the published binaries (or the versions would match)
  • there's no provision to warn users that their code is deprecated (see the "errors" field above? it shouldn't be empty on an orphaned chain)
  • everything happened behind the back of miners: their rigs worked for nothing and most still do. Asking for more mining power to secure the coin when most of it is already wasted is ridiculous.

P2pool tuning guide
MaGNeT
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:51:35 PM

To test things I did two things now:

I sent 0.5 TRC to BTC-E on the old address that I use for a while now.

Then I generated a new address in BTC-E and sent another 0.5 TRC.

All for the sake of science  Grin

Now wait if they show up @ BTC-E... If they don't it's borked?
dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:51:55 PM

As long as I'm on a "nodes banned list" and nobody can explain why, I have all reasons to worry.

I'm trying to mine TRC but it looks broken to me, that's worrying me because I have a shitload of them and I am afraid to send them to BTC-E because I don't know if BTC-E is on the right fork now.

Exactly the reason i wrote what I did. You have probably been on various nodes banned list from time to time throughout your use of crypto-coins and not even noticed.

Anyway, it is fine.

In fact I will go back and strike out my statement, and everybody publish all the node banned lists you want.

It might be slightly entertaining to watch all the panic that might ensue.... Cheesy

Oh, and BTC-E is on the right fork, I have been able to move TRC in since this mourning (I updated all my systems when I updated Cryptocoinexplorer last night). So if your up to date and you block height matches the explorer..go for it.

If you really want to be cautious, backup your wallet. If you are on the forked chain, you will not lose your coins, However it can be a pain in the but to remove the transaction from your wallet so your client does not see the coins as spent. (You can us PYwallet to erase the transactions from a wallet if that happens)
celkaris

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:53:53 PM

To test things I did two things now:

I sent 0.5 TRC to BTC-E on the old address that I use for a while now.

Then I generated a new address in BTC-E and sent another 0.5 TRC.

All for the sake of science  Grin

Now wait if they show up @ BTC-E... If they don't it's borked?

unless btc-e simply stops polling the old funding address, once a new one was generated?
MaGNeT
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:54:39 PM

Exactly the reason i wrote what I did. You have probably been on various nodes banned list from time to time throughout your use of crypto-coins and not even noticed.

Anyway, it is fine.

In fact I will go back and strike out my statement, and everybody publish all the node banned lists you want.

It might be slightly entertaining to watch all the panic that might ensue.... Cheesy

Oh, and BTC-E is on the right fork, I have been able to move TRC in since this mourning (I updated all my systems when I updated Cryptocoinexplorer last night). So if your up to date and you block height matches the explorer..go for it.

If you really want to be cautious, backup your wallet. If you are on the forked chain, you will not lose your coins, However it can be a pain in the but to remove the transaction from your wallet so your client does not see the coins as spent. (You can us PYwallet to erase the transactions from a wallet if that happens)

I can confirm BTC-E is on the right chain (or at least on my chain)  Smiley

gyverlb

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:59:42 PM

If you really want to be cautious, backup your wallet. If you are on the forked chain, you will not lose your coins,

Unless you mined them or mined on a pool using an orphaned chain...

P2pool tuning guide
MaGNeT
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 06:00:37 PM

If you really want to be cautious, backup your wallet. If you are on the forked chain, you will not lose your coins,

Unless you mined them or mined on a pool using an orphaned chain...

That happened to 30% of my coins, the other coins matured.
That's one of the reasons I stop mining TRC until it is solved.
I don't like to waste my GPU cycles on an orphaned chain...
MessyCoin

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 06:01:32 PM

I'm on Linux, these are useless to me.

git master compiled version shows :
Terracoin version v0.1.2-51-gd147fa7-dirty-beta (2013-04-09 20:48:28 +0200)

This version is obviously bogus: the resulting binary behaves like the newest fork (it orphaned several blocks).

But what matters is the protocol version supported:

Code:
terracoind getinfo
{
    "version" : 80000,
    "protocolversion" : 70001,
    "walletversion" : 60000,
    "balance" : 0.00000000,
    "blocks" : 104383,
    "timeoffset" : -2,
    "connections" : 12,
    "proxy" : "",
    "difficulty" : 5254.96236407,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1365634022,
    "keypoolsize" : 101,
    "paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
    "errors" : ""
}

So to sum things up:
  • the repository doesn't have all the files used to build the published binaries (or the versions would match)
  • there's no provision to warn users that their code is deprecated (see the "errors" field above? it shouldn't be empty on an orphaned chain)
  • everything happened behind the back of miners: their rigs worked for nothing and most still do. Asking for more mining power to secure the coin when most of it is already wasted is ridiculous.

Seems the same to me with my resulting version. So where to get the source so I can compile the latest "mandatory" update?

gyverlb

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 06:04:34 PM

Seems the same to me with my resulting version. So where to get the source so I can compile the latest "mandatory" update?

If the dev didn't miss anything else than updating the version number:
Code:
git clone git://github.com/terracoin/terracoin.git

P2pool tuning guide
MessyCoin

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 06:11:04 PM

Sorry, a bit new to all this.. I thought you meant that the resulting version was "bogus" and not the correct version.

Output of getinfo shows "blocks" : 104383 .. that's the correct block number people are getting on the windows binary?

http://dustcoin.com/mining shows we're up to block 104380 .. which doesn't match.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: