Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:56:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why use ATI cards for GPU mining?  (Read 2398 times)
the.jack20 (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 06:05:13 PM

As far as I know, Nvidia cards are not preferred in GPU mining. ATI cards are being used more often than Nvidia cards. Is there a particular reason for this?
Why do you prefer ATI cards?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Etherion

Activity: 512
Merit: 260

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 07:15:28 PM

As far as I know, Nvidia cards are not preferred in GPU mining. ATI cards are being used more often than Nvidia cards. Is there a particular reason for this?

yes. AMD cards are better at it. ROI faster then Nvidia cards
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 08:35:24 PM

The main reason is price. Nvidia cards are much more expensive than AMD so for same performance you pay extra. That is the reason why everyone got them and why guys developing mining software are focusing on AMD first. But this may not always be the case, look at Zcash for example. Nvidia is more profitable than AMD there (just one coin but anyway...)
doktor83

Activity: 2534
Merit: 626

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2017, 08:45:28 PM

yes, but nvidia uses less electricity than amd on some algos, and gives equal or more speed.
But in general amd cards are more used for mining than nvidia.

SRBMiner-MULTI thread - HERE
http://www.srbminer.com
eckmar
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 08:56:34 PM

yes, but nvidia uses less electricity than amd on some algos, and gives equal or more speed.
But in general amd cards are more used for mining than nvidia.

Any card can be tweaked further when you get it. But look at let's say 200$ price range Nvidia and AMD cards. Performance difference is just way to large for same invested money and goal of every miner is to hit that ROI as soon as possible
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 09:30:39 PM

Has to do with the way stream processors with AMD and CUDA cores on Nvidia are developed. Otherwise they're almost the same with few exceptions, this one major difference impacts hashrate in a big way.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 09:51:05 PM

not true at all

you have a 1060 3gb which cost almost the same of a 470 and hash more on zec with far less consumption
eckmar
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 10:01:25 PM

not true at all

you have a 1060 3gb which cost almost the same of a 470 and hash more on zec with far less consumption

It is true only for Zec however. No one see Zec being here in long term so what is the point in buying Nvidia cards if they are better at only one coin that is actually dying ?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 11:37:00 PM

As a general rule on MOST coins, AMD cards are quite a bit less expensive for a given hashrate than NVidia cards, while usually being fairly close on power efficiency.

THAT is why most miners run ATI cards on most rigs.

ZEC is a rare exception, but even there NVidia is at best a tossup on hash/$ - and the other coins where NVidia wins are small market coins that can't soak a ton of hashrate before they become UNprofitable.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 07:07:32 AM

not true at all

It is true only for Zec however. No one see Zec being here in long term so what is the point in buying Nvidia cards if they are better at only one coin that is actually dying ?

false it's true for lbry also and spreadcoin, and guess what lbry is profitable... and you can add sib too, and for amd you also have only to option xmr and eth on which they are better, and on xmr nvidia is just not optimized
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224

CryptoLearner

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 07:20:29 AM

Also i think that before pascal card, you didn't had any nvidia card that was worth mining with because they were doing quite poorly against AMD's in term of price & performance,especially because of their architectures, AMD went for memory optimisation where nvidia got more power to their core and thus not needed as much memory optimisation & bandwith, it made very good result for gaming, but for mining especially ethereum that was/is still the king of AMD the AMD architecture is just much better than nvidia when mining come into play. And you can see today, the algo that does very well on nvidia card are pretty much all core dependant (zcash, lbry)

So alot of optimisation, bios, & stuff went to AMD's. If you look today, 1060/1070 are doing pretty good on some algos, and even older 970/980 are getting some results because of all the optimisation that are coming for nvidia cards. Nvidia made their gpu's efficient @ gaming, but they're not doing as well in mining. Good point is that an nvidia GPU resell better because they're preferred by gamers and they often benefit of extended warranty time, it make it worth building nvidia rigs, and sell if something goes not as good as expected.

Somedays, maybe we will be able to tweak nvidia BIOS on pascal cards, and with more & more cards coming everyday, more miners & optimisation will get out, and nvidia will be more recognized as a mining solution, for now it is still a niche market versus AMD gpu's.

This said, i'm very happy of my 10x6 1070 gpus rigs, they do very well, were easy to setup, and the ROI isn't that bad either. Still i really want someday to do AMD based rig, but it'll wait until VEGA  Wink
Ambros

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 08:03:57 AM

That was true until ZEC has born. Right now Nvidia can mine very good on this algo and since a lot of miners are going for nvidia cards we will see more optimised miner for those cards in the future.
t2yax

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Arianee:Smart-link Connecting Owners,Assets,Brands

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 08:12:38 AM

Reasons are amd gpus cheaper(if you gonna create full amd rig its also cheaper),software support is much more.
so those reasons means short ROI and reliable mining

arianee
• • • ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Smart-link Connecting Owners, Assets And Brands
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ • • •
Discord
Telegram ⊐●⊏ Reddit
Twitter ⊐●⊏ Instagram
Medium ⊐●⊏ Linkedin
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 08:15:22 AM

Also i think that before pascal card, you didn't had any nvidia card that was worth mining with because they were doing quite poorly against AMD's in term of price & performance,especially because of their architectures, AMD went for memory optimisation where nvidia got more power to their core and thus not needed as much memory optimisation & bandwith, it made very good result for gaming, but for mining especially ethereum that was/is still the king of AMD the AMD architecture is just much better than nvidia when mining come into play. And you can see today, the algo that does very well on nvidia card are pretty much all core dependant (zcash, lbry)

So alot of optimisation, bios, & stuff went to AMD's. If you look today, 1060/1070 are doing pretty good on some algos, and even older 970/980 are getting some results because of all the optimisation that are coming for nvidia cards. Nvidia made their gpu's efficient @ gaming, but they're not doing as well in mining. Good point is that an nvidia GPU resell better because they're preferred by gamers and they often benefit of extended warranty time, it make it worth building nvidia rigs, and sell if something goes not as good as expected.

Somedays, maybe we will be able to tweak nvidia BIOS on pascal cards, and with more & more cards coming everyday, more miners & optimisation will get out, and nvidia will be more recognized as a mining solution, for now it is still a niche market versus AMD gpu's.

This said, i'm very happy of my 10x6 1070 gpus rigs, they do very well, were easy to setup, and the ROI isn't that bad either. Still i really want someday to do AMD based rig, but it'll wait until VEGA  Wink

actually i'm waiting for the big boy as well, it' not much about amd or nvidia, it's that i hate cheap cards that you need many of them to do the same, you lose quite a bit on those additional rig, not to mention higher consumption/cooling etc...

i want always the big boy in play(not old gen though...), density is very important and people seems to forget it completely
Etherion

Activity: 512
Merit: 260

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 08:37:37 PM

not true at all

Now yes. But for the first 3 months when Zcash was most profitable amd destroyed any other platform.
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224

CryptoLearner

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 08:58:38 PM

not true at all

Now yes. But for the first 3 months when Zcash was most profitable amd destroyed any other platform.

Well kinda normal when you have 99,99% of miners on amd cards... you're not getting any love for nvidia from developers of miners. that's a simple equation. especially the ones that make you pay a fee.
Ambros

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 02:14:13 PM

I'm extremely curious about how things will turn in a one year, in last months we have seen many developers joining the nvidia community.
h311m4n

Activity: 487
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 03:29:05 PM

I have been thinking about getting some 1060s instead of RX470s, same price point.

Can you mod nVidias as "easily" as the AMD nowadays? Like can you drastically reduce wattage on a 1060? I know my 470s (4Gb) draw about 70-75W while mining ZEC/XMR.
ol92

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 03:45:33 PM

I have been thinking about getting some 1060s instead of RX470s, same price point.

Can you mod nVidias as "easily" as the AMD nowadays? Like can you drastically reduce wattage on a 1060? I know my 470s (4Gb) draw about 70-75W while mining ZEC/XMR.
Bios modding is "relatively" easy on AMD: since most AMD cards have dual bios, and some bios editors exists (but most complicated tweaks like timings on memory requires hex editing).
On the other hand, very few people try to hack nvidia bios (fewer tools, only some cards have dual bios...).

AMD card are better on some algos, nvidia on others.
For now, amd lacks high end video card on the new fab process size.

h311m4n

Activity: 487
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 03:54:46 PM

Well yeah, modding AMD cards is a breeze really. Hence when I hear people say "nVidia performs same as AMD with less wattage", I always wonder if they are saying this at default stock settings. But once you optimize an AMD card, my guess is it performs about as well as an nvidia in terms of wattage no?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: