Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:55:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you create an altcoin?  (Read 21823 times)
pixel (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

x1 7970 | Aprox. 587 kh/s

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:10:41 AM

What's the status on everyone's development, its been awhile since I have heard anything Cheesy

Currently Mining: Litecoin, Xencoin, and Worldcoin (Just because its fun!, don't yell at me ;_;)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:14:59 AM

I just need to figure out how to compile the QT client, then clean up the guide!

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
BlueWall

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:53:19 AM

I just need to figure out how to compile the QT client, then clean up the guide!

Look at: http://qt-project.org/downloads for tools to build the client.

-BlueWall
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:34:14 AM

Would it be possible to prevent the block rewards from going to the one who found the block, but to 25 randomly selected IPs connected to the network.  Doing so would pervent the creation of large centralized mining pools.  Would it protect the network?
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 02:35:03 AM

Would it be possible to prevent the block rewards from going to the one who found the block, but to 25 randomly selected IPs connected to the network.  Doing so would pervent the creation of large centralized mining pools.  Would it protect the network?

Problem would be people would not have an incentive to mine. Sad

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
pixel (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:48:21 AM

Problem would be people would not have an incentive to mine. Sad
This is true

Currently Mining: Litecoin, Xencoin, and Worldcoin (Just because its fun!, don't yell at me ;_;)
Nymph

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:51:17 AM

Just finished reading the whole forum... Eagerly awaiting the guide. Thanks for doing this!

A question...
Is it mandatory that the number of coins a block releases halves? Could it instead double? Or perhaps... fibonacci?
 Huh

Thanks.  Grin
pixel (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:47:38 AM

Just finished reading the whole forum... Eagerly awaiting the guide. Thanks for doing this!

A question...
Is it mandatory that the number of coins a block releases halves? Could it instead double? Or perhaps... fibonacci?
 Huh

Thanks.  Grin
I suppose you could but it would require some programming.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:03:32 AM

It would require changing 1 line of code

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Nymph

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:40:01 PM

ooo really? will you tell me how to do it please?  Smiley
Geddi

It's the muffins that must be stopped.

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:19:17 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2013, 05:31:54 PM by Geddi

ooo really? will you tell me how to do it please?  Smiley

Code:
sed -i "s/y >>=/y <<=/g" main.cpp
Reward doubles instead of halves.(for original bitcoin client from git)

Don't forget to irrigate your nasal passages.  Cool
wmikrut

Activity: 631

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 06:01:06 PM

Wouldn't it be better to look at the code?

In the current bitcoin source look at the function GetBlockValue
Sed works.. but doesn't help understand what/why you are changing.

I will NEVER ask for any kind of funds up front in a buy/sale of anything on bitcointalk.

BM-2cTFihJKmSwusMAoYuUHPvpx56Jozv64KK
Geddi

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:06:32 PM

Yes I know. That is what I meant to say "in code".  Grin
wmikrut

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 06:17:37 PM

Lol!  I hear you.
I have been spending my time immersed in the bitcoin code... fascinating and ingenious stuff!

I will NEVER ask for any kind of funds up front in a buy/sale of anything on bitcointalk.

Geddi

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:55:35 PM

Lol!  I hear you.
I have been spending my time immersed in the bitcoin code... fascinating and ingenious stuff!

Sure thing! I've swum in code quite heavily couple of years ago. Not so much lately..
Hellofa lot better time-burner than 'facebooking'!  Cool
Cheshyr

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 12:53:24 AM

Irritated by the army of negativity that hit on pages 9-11.  Tweaking parameters of a working program IS the first step in learning.  It's not the same as walking into a blank hello-world project...  there's a lot of existing work on this already.  Nobody wants to reinvent the wheel, and it takes time to catch up.

So where are we right now?

It sounds like you've successfully tweaked your parameters.
Genesis block creation was successful, and imported successfully.
Compiled and Mined?

Waiting for Garr255 to post his guide?  If so, I don't think the first copy needs to be super-polished.  He can proofread and revise it after people ask questions.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 12:58:58 AM

More people familiar with varying the code and variants of the code is good, as it seems like there will regularly be need to update all the many altcoins so the more people capable of doing so maybe the more likely it is to happen.

Two that really need updating badly are Tenebrix and GeistGeld, they might even be old enough that they might crap out on file size of the blockchain on 32 bit Windows systems maybe or something silly like that.

They are interestingly different from each other too since Tenebrix is scrypt without merged mining whereas GeistGeld is SHA256 with merged mining. So bringing both of those up to date would be a really great learning-project for someone and meanwhile of course both are also so ridiculously low difficulty you could be mining them both all along with CPUs and rake in tons of both while you learn. Unlike starting a new coin you don't tend to get jumped on by all the big miners with these old coins, so you can go months on end peacefully mining them with CPUs.

Compare that with the way difficulty skyrockets on new coins lately and you'll see those new coins won't likely be useful for spreading the coins around newbies for maybe months or years, whereas these old coins have been serving newbies well for what, a year or more now and still nice low difficulty...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
wmikrut

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 02:43:10 AM

Irritated by the army of negativity that hit on pages 9-11.  Tweaking parameters of a working program IS the first step in learning.  It's not the same as walking into a blank hello-world project...  there's a lot of existing work on this already.  Nobody wants to reinvent the wheel, and it takes time to catch up.

So where are we right now?

It sounds like you've successfully tweaked your parameters.
Genesis block creation was successful, and imported successfully.
Compiled and Mined?

Waiting for Garr255 to post his guide?  If so, I don't think the first copy needs to be super-polished.  He can proofread and revise it after people ask questions.

I for one am not irritated by the comments... but you learn, over time, that comments like this serve to inspire a deeper understanding.
For example, I thought 'tweaking' the code was neat... but it didn't stop there.  I wanted to know why.

I have successfully compiled MultiCoin, created a genesis block, setup a mini testnet and mined my first block.
This is fun... but  now I want to know why it worked.

So, I spend time investigating the code base, following functions, watching the program unfold itself.
Eventually, I would one day like to come back with an idea -- one that makes this code base 'different'.

However, I cannot do that until I understand the whys.
People saying I can't play in their pool only make me want to learn even harder how things work   Cheesy

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 02:48:39 AM

Tenebrix and GeistGeld are both currently implemented using Multicoin, so you should now be able to get both of those running, and since both are low difficulty you can set them both up chugging away in background earning you coins!

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
wmikrut

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 02:51:20 AM

Tenebrix and GeistGeld are both currently implemented using Multicoin, so you should now be able to get both of those running, and since both are low difficulty you can set them both up chugging away in background earning you coins!

-MarkM-

I'll track down the code for Tenebrix and have a look.
It would be neat to get it up and running!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: