Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:23:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you create an altcoin?  (Read 21825 times)
wmikrut

Activity: 631
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 02:57:36 AM

Cloned the source... working with it now  Grin

I will NEVER ask for any kind of funds up front in a buy/sale of anything on bitcointalk.

BM-2cTFihJKmSwusMAoYuUHPvpx56Jozv64KK

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 03:05:03 AM

It seems possible they might not be strictly proper multicoin coins, as I am not sure where the message comes from they put on their status output saying what coin they are. I am not sure if that is something multicoin does of if they actually hacked the code of multicoin, for example to add that message.

Multicoin was intended that you would use the exact same binary program to run all the various coins, but maybe these two aren't really like that, it'd be interesting to compare their code to the actual multicoin and to each other...

Best of all though will be to recreate them using latest bitcoin code.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Nymph

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 03:19:55 AM

It would require changing 1 line of code

ooo really? will you tell me how to do it please?  Smiley

Code:
sed -i "s/y >>=/y <<=/g" main.cpp
Reward doubles instead of halves.(for original bitcoin client from git)

Don't forget to irrigate your nasal passages.  Cool

Thanks!  Grin
::off to figure out what to do with it::
wmikrut

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 03:43:28 AM

I have to create a new Ubuntu VM for development... my general development environment is just jacked up!   Roll Eyes

I will NEVER ask for any kind of funds up front in a buy/sale of anything on bitcointalk.

Nymph

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:09:21 PM

just saw this over here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=146361.msg1562398#msg1562398

Steps of becoming an altcoin operator:

1) Learn to use git/github and build bitcoin/altcoins
2) Manage at least 2 nodes on 2 computers/VM/VPS
3) Bootstrap your own network by changing pnSeed, running with dnsseed disabled, irc seed disabled, and change pchMessageStart
4) Learn to make genesis block and start up network.
5) Change default p2p port and rpc port.
6) Change address version (optional)
7) Remove checkpoints, generate master key(s).
8> Cosmetic changes.

Now you can start playing with various parameter changes. Of course doing any real work from here on would require more skills and understanding of the innerworkings of bitcoin. But if you are just content with a simple clone of bitcoin/altcoins then it's done.

Good luck!  Wink
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:26:41 PM

I bet that you have no idea about writing a code or even reviewing it , I love an open source programs and I wish if my company would invest into it , but I hate it when people like you start messing around it, you do not even know from where to start , and if you somehow create a coin... how will you support it in future , you know that you have to do some development after you create it, and what will you do if there will be a bug , you think that people will spend their money and time for some weekend project from some amateur ?

the only real coin for me is BTC or LTC and maybe NMC, all other coins are just a waste of time and money 
Cheshyr

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:00:04 PM

We're having fun. You don't have to be involved in any way. Go enjoy your stale ideas; we're all here for different reasons.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 09:38:34 PM

I bet that you have no idea about writing a code or even reviewing it , I love an open source programs and I wish if my company would invest into it , but I hate it when people like you start messing around it, you do not even know from where to start , and if you somehow create a coin... how will you support it in future , you know that you have to do some development after you create it, and what will you do if there will be a bug , you think that people will spend their money and time for some weekend project from some amateur ?

the only real coin for me is BTC or LTC and maybe NMC, all other coins are just a waste of time and money 

One or two years ago you would have probably said BTC was the only coin for you, do I want my BTC to be undermined by loads of altcoins? No, but I respect those working on this thread. It seems these "amateurs" are not even 18 yet, they cannot even buy alcohol for themselves yet they are experimenting and learning programming at what I believe is an advanced level, were you born with coding knowledge or did you go through a process of trial and error? Regardless, even if their code is a buggy mess, all that means is people will not support their work and will stick with the best option available. For you their project is probably a waist of time, for them this could be the beginning of a successful future.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:16:21 AM

One or two years ago you would have probably said BTC was the only coin for you, do I want my BTC to be undermined by loads of altcoins? No, but I respect those working on this thread. It seems these "amateurs" are not even 18 yet, they cannot even buy alcohol for themselves yet they are experimenting and learning programming at what I believe is an advanced level, were you born with coding knowledge or did you go through a process of trial and error? Regardless, even if their code is a buggy mess, all that means is people will not support their work and will stick with the best option available. For you their project is probably a waist of time, for them this could be the beginning of a successful future.

Yup.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
j980

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:04:44 AM

I respect those working on this thread. It seems these "amateurs" are not even 18 yet, they cannot even buy alcohol for themselves yet they are experimenting and learning programming at what I believe is an advanced level, were you born with coding knowledge or did you go through a process of trial and error?
+1

It will only make GarrCoin (, ...) cooler to mine.  Cool

When's the launch?
pixel (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

x1 7970 | Aprox. 587 kh/s

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:08:10 AM

How is the guide comming? :3

Currently Mining: Litecoin, Xencoin, and Worldcoin (Just because its fun!, don't yell at me ;_;)
wmikrut

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 03:16:38 AM

Lol... posts like this make me laugh!!

If this is true -- why are you even here?   
Your rant falls on deaf ears!

idev

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004

BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:30:52 AM

Ditto
AlexMerced

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 03:34:10 AM

Ditto

double ditto

sron

Activity: 235
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 04:29:39 AM

I started a thread similar to this one a year ago or so and I will be following this one, I would be interested in building a software product that automatically generates new coin systems based on the values you feed into the UI.

Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 05:19:53 AM

I'm bored, its the weekend. I was thinking of creating an altcoin for fun, I won't release it, it would just be cool to get it running and see how fast mining is. Hopefully its not to hard :3 If it is I have a VPS with nothing on it I could use for some sort of litecoin web script.

Thanks Cheesy
Apparently you just fork Bitcoin or Litecoin and change a few lines of code and call it Newcoin. Honestly I could even do it.
Geddi

It's the muffins that must be stopped.

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:23:18 AM

Here it is:
1) read bitcoin wiki
2) install compiler
3) start notepad
4) have a ball
5) compile newcoin

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:31:35 AM

Here it is:
1) read bitcoin wiki
2) install compiler
3) start notepad
4) have a ball
5) compile newcoin

Very, very far from being enough  Roll Eyes

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
pixel (OP)

x1 7970 | Aprox. 587 kh/s

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:50:58 PM

Here it is:
1) read bitcoin wiki
2) install compiler
3) start notepad
4) have a ball
5) compile newcoin

Very, very far from being enough  Roll Eyes
ditto

Currently Mining: Litecoin, Xencoin, and Worldcoin (Just because its fun!, don't yell at me ;_;)
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:14:46 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2013, 03:39:48 AM by Garr255

Update:

The guide will be coming in the next few weeks, because I'll be pretty busy. All I need to do is figure out how to compile the QT client for windows, and create a program to find the genesis block. Else I could include the nifty python script which I believe was written by the creators of freicoin.

I've considered making people pay for the guide, but instead I'll just be encouraging donations from the ones who gain some knowledge from it.

--Garrett

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: