Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:20:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with GPU mining RIG  (Read 3454 times)
Crazymoon (OP)

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 02:16:16 PM

Hello guys, I need some help from you to decide what will be the best to invest the money in? I want to build a GPU mining rig, I have in total 3000 euros to invest. I have a nice cool room (big one), so it won't be a problem with heating issues at all. I don't plan to invest the money in a scrypt asic miner because the customs + vats are extremely expensive and they might confiscate it, so I'll end up loosing. Like can you suggest me what kind of CPU, PSU, GPU's like what do i need to buy to get this going? I am thinking of getting between RX 470 4GB or RX 470 8GB (because I have really good prices) but you can suggest any other GPU that is worth looking at it, so I can see if I can get them at good price. Just to let you know that I am not buying anything from internet except if I need some risers, because VATS + customs are extremely expensive, most of the pc parts I am going to buy them locally from a PC store. What do you think? Any advice is welcome.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cptfisher

Activity: 649
Merit: 505

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 03:10:32 PM

hi i sent you pm !
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2017, 03:24:52 PM

there is one of my build topic , you can get some idea for hardware recommendation :
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1614386.0

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
RozoTheMiner

Activity: 200
Merit: 103

Hello Bitcoin World!!

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2017, 04:02:26 PM

Hi, you may want to check these videos out, hopefully they will be helpful to you.

How to Build a 6 GPU Ethereum, Litecoin, LBRY and Other Cryptocurrency Mining Rig Part 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj6ylv68M38

How to Build a 6 GPU Ethereum, Litecoin, LBRY and Other Cryptocurrency Mining Rig Part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiyjW_AAI9w

6 RX 480 8GB GDDR5 Overclock Graphics Cards All in One Computer! Cryptocurrency Mining Rig Part 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfpVVGkCoIk

Bitcoin Mining vs. GPU Mining & How to Assemble a Mining Rig for Ethereum, Dash, LBRY & More Part 4 / Part 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4UiFO_zW0w

GPU Mining With R9 390x 8GB OC & How to Assemble a Mining Rig for Ethereum, Dash, LBRY & More Part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGINek7VnDE

GPU Mining With R9 390x 8GB OC & How to Assemble a Mining Rig for Ethereum, Dash, LBRY & More Part 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y83ET5Ws51o

GPU Mining With R9 390x 8GB OC & How to Assemble a Mining Rig for Ethereum, Dash, LBRY & More Part 4 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GH6zkD9UjI

GOOD LUCK!

I am heating my house with 4 miners integrated into my heating and air system. https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBitcoinMiner
Crypto Clothing and Gear https://TheBlockGear.com
Encho

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 04:47:13 PM

If you will build just ONE miner and don't plan to build more, this is the configuration I would recommend, I will mention US prices since I buy there so you can have a base:

- MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard $130: A little expensive but will give you 7 PCIe slots (3 x16 + 4 x1), works great and has a led code display, great for troubleshooting.
- EVGA G2 1300w PSU $185: This modular behemoth will provide all the power you will need and then some, even the 1000w version will probably get the job done but it's always a good idea to have some headroom.
- 7x Sapphire Nitro RX 470 8gb GPUs $229 e/o: These little guys use have faster MEM so they will mine ETH and other algos just great, I own these and XFX RX 480 8gb and can barely notice any difference. Stay with the RX line GPUs if power consumption is a concern for you.
- 8gb DDR3 Crucial Ballistix RAM kit $35: Cheap, reliable RAM. 8gb will be more than enough to cover your RAM needs.
- Intel Celeron G1840 CPU $45: Cheap-functional CPU, will give you all the processing power you'll require on a budget.
- Samsung 850 250gb SSD $100: One of the best SSD brands, this one won't explode on you and will give you very fast boot times
- 7x + 7x USB risers (ver003 and/or ver006) $10e/o: Why 7x + 7x?, well, risers like to give trouble (compatibility usually) and having a miner not working because of this is a complete waste. Buy x7 from 2 different brands/sources, usually the x16 ports won't give you trouble with any risers, but if you find the miner is having trouble booting up, try the second set. You can even mix them, but try filling only the x16 slots with one brand and the x1 slots with the other.
- Used DVI-I Monitor/DVI-I cable: Check for any inexpensive monitor around that will accept DVI-I signal, you'll need that. The cable too if you don't have one lying around already.
- Ethernet cable/WiFi card: Whatever fits your connection needs best, the miner needs to be able to connect reliably to your net in order to work.
- Windows 10 OS: Definitely the best option to run 7 GPUs without issues.
- Chassis: If you can work with metal/aluminum, check the net for some interesting models. If your resources/skills/toolbox are limited, you could try a PVC build, easy and CHEAP. You could also buy a pre-built chassis for anything between $100-$250. I prefer using an open chassis for better cooling.

I hope this helps.
Crazymoon (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 08:17:49 PM

there is one of my build topic , you can get some idea for hardware recommendation :
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1614386.0

Thank you very much!

Hi, you may want to check these videos out, hopefully they will be helpful to you.

How to Build a 6 GPU Ethereum, Litecoin, LBRY and Other Cryptocurrency Mining Rig Part 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj6ylv68M38

How to Build a 6 GPU Ethereum, Litecoin, LBRY and Other Cryptocurrency Mining Rig Part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiyjW_AAI9w

6 RX 480 8GB GDDR5 Overclock Graphics Cards All in One Computer! Cryptocurrency Mining Rig Part 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfpVVGkCoIk

Bitcoin Mining vs. GPU Mining & How to Assemble a Mining Rig for Ethereum, Dash, LBRY & More Part 4 / Part 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4UiFO_zW0w

GPU Mining With R9 390x 8GB OC & How to Assemble a Mining Rig for Ethereum, Dash, LBRY & More Part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGINek7VnDE

GPU Mining With R9 390x 8GB OC & How to Assemble a Mining Rig for Ethereum, Dash, LBRY & More Part 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y83ET5Ws51o

GPU Mining With R9 390x 8GB OC & How to Assemble a Mining Rig for Ethereum, Dash, LBRY & More Part 4 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GH6zkD9UjI

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the nice information, I really find those videos useful.

If you will build just ONE miner and don't plan to build more, this is the configuration I would recommend, I will mention US prices since I buy there so you can have a base:

- MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard $130: A little expensive but will give you 7 PCIe slots (3 x16 + 4 x1), works great and has a led code display, great for troubleshooting.
- EVGA G2 1300w PSU $185: This modular behemoth will provide all the power you will need and then some, even the 1000w version will probably get the job done but it's always a good idea to have some headroom.
- 7x Sapphire Nitro RX 470 8gb GPUs $229 e/o: These little guys use have faster MEM so they will mine ETH and other algos just great, I own these and XFX RX 480 8gb and can barely notice any difference. Stay with the RX line GPUs if power consumption is a concern for you.
- 8gb DDR3 Crucial Ballistix RAM kit $35: Cheap, reliable RAM. 8gb will be more than enough to cover your RAM needs.
- Intel Celeron G1840 CPU $45: Cheap-functional CPU, will give you all the processing power you'll require on a budget.
- Samsung 850 250gb SSD $100: One of the best SSD brands, this one won't explode on you and will give you very fast boot times
- 7x + 7x USB risers (ver003 and/or ver006) $10e/o: Why 7x + 7x?, well, risers like to give trouble (compatibility usually) and having a miner not working because of this is a complete waste. Buy x7 from 2 different brands/sources, usually the x16 ports won't give you trouble with any risers, but if you find the miner is having trouble booting up, try the second set. You can even mix them, but try filling only the x16 slots with one brand and the x1 slots with the other.
- Used DVI-I Monitor/DVI-I cable: Check for any inexpensive monitor around that will accept DVI-I signal, you'll need that. The cable too if you don't have one lying around already.
- Ethernet cable/WiFi card: Whatever fits your connection needs best, the miner needs to be able to connect reliably to your net in order to work.
- Windows 10 OS: Definitely the best option to run 7 GPUs without issues.
- Chassis: If you can work with metal/aluminum, check the net for some interesting models. If your resources/skills/toolbox are limited, you could try a PVC build, easy and CHEAP. You could also buy a pre-built chassis for anything between $100-$250. I prefer using an open chassis for better cooling.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, yeah definitely I am in plan to make an open chasis from aluminium because like you said it will be better for cooling so they will be at open all the time + it will be cheaper for me to make it. And thanks on the note for the risers, I was thinking of getting like a 2 in some sort of backup but 7 will do the job.
Crazymoon (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 08:26:37 AM

Also I have a question, wouldn't be 6 GPU's too much on 1 motherboard, so instead I can get like 8 GPU's and split them up on 2 motherboards by 4? So it will be easier to see if there's any problem?
Rupucers

Activity: 105

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 08:39:21 AM

Also I have a question, wouldn't be 6 GPU's too much on 1 motherboard, so instead I can get like 8 GPU's and split them up on 2 motherboards by 4? So it will be easier to see if there's any problem?

If you have 2Mobos. You power draw will go up. As you need 2Cpu's and 2 HDD and etc. That is unwanted. Better get good mobo which can handle 6 GPU's and mine on that. It also depends on your elect price. If it's low then older 280/280x 290/290x and 3xx series cards are better buy. They draw a bit more elect. But can be had for chepo in eBay or local ad sites. It also matters where you live, those link that collegues provided where from USA. If you live in europe you might need to check for diff. equipment.

Also buying 2 700-800 PSu's might be cheaper.
kotikadze

Activity: 547
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 08:43:10 AM

I want to advise you to use the server power supplies 2.500 watt, that's enough for two rigs. They are much safer ATX PSU.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|    The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency  
  WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄████▄▄  
█▄          ██████████▀
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
[
Crazymoon (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 06:43:07 PM

If you have 2Mobos. You power draw will go up. As you need 2Cpu's and 2 HDD and etc. That is unwanted. Better get good mobo which can handle 6 GPU's and mine on that. It also depends on your elect price. If it's low then older 280/280x 290/290x and 3xx series cards are better buy. They draw a bit more elect. But can be had for chepo in eBay or local ad sites. It also matters where you live, those link that collegues provided where from USA. If you live in europe you might need to check for diff. equipment.

Yeah, I was thinking of getting like 8 GPU's and make 2 rigs so I can use like 2 PSU's but I haven't decided 100% yet.

I want to advise you to use the server power supplies 2.500 watt, that's enough for two rigs. They are much safer ATX PSU.

Aren't like EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 Gold okay for this type of job? Or you are saying if I wanna get 6 GPU's on a rig and run that PSU?
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
January 23, 2017, 08:42:53 PM

Yeah, I was thinking of getting like 8 GPU's and make 2 rigs so I can use like 2 PSU's but I haven't decided 100% yet.

Aren't like EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 Gold okay for this type of job? Or you are saying if I wanna get 6 GPU's on a rig and run that PSU?
EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 is completely fine. Advantage of server PSUs is that they are MUCH cheaper and much more efficient. Minimum efficiency of server power supply is 92%+ which is like gold for PC PSUs. So why don't save yourself some money and get product that is actually made to be ran 24/7 at high load ?
Crazymoon (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 01:19:13 PM

EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 is completely fine. Advantage of server PSUs is that they are MUCH cheaper and much more efficient. Minimum efficiency of server power supply is 92%+ which is like gold for PC PSUs. So why don't save yourself some money and get product that is actually made to be ran 24/7 at high load ?

Which server power supply would you recommend, I mean I have seen people using EVGA supernova 1000W G2 and they run 24/7 without problems.
Ambros

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 01:33:13 PM

Which server power supply would you recommend, I mean I have seen people using EVGA supernova 1000W G2 and they run 24/7 without problems.

Yeah, they are excellent but expensive.
You can get a nice server PSU with half money!
Rupucers

Activity: 105

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 04:38:22 PM

92% for regular PSU's are alredy Platinium in EU. Titanium in rest of world.
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CryptoLearner

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 04:50:37 PM

The problem with server PSU's is that they're often quite loud, so careful choosing that for a home miner, if you have no problem with noise, those are really good i fully agree.
smaxz

Activity: 430
Merit: 253

VeganAcademy

View Profile
January 24, 2017, 05:08:03 PM

you are asking for free advice.

be mindful of the value free advice often brings, also be aware of the environment you have entered.

since the boom in 2013 (and the subsequent bust) there seems to have been a taste developed to tax some of the easily earned profits from those entering or still naive in the crypto community.

whether it be from misinformation, disinformation or flat out scams.

that being said, 3 grand is not a high sum to start with for investing. i would grab as many gpu's as possible and a spare power supply (or two) and just fill the pcie slots you have in your home systems as it is.

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: