Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:23:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC = Gold, LTC = Silver?  (Read 1020 times)
LOLMoney (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:21:58 PM

Bitcoins have been around for a few years and with the recent spike, it looks like everyone is getting on the mining train. I think this will help raise the price of BTC, but do you think LTC will survive and last? Due to how hard it is now to mine BTC, I've moved to LTC in hopes of keeping some LTC and selling in a few years.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:23:21 PM

Once ASIC becomes a staple in any serious miner's business, I would expect LTC to be the coin mined by hobbyists.  I don't see why not; it's still profitable to mine BTC if you already have the equipment, but that's going to change in the future.

anonymous_hero

Activity: 25

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:25:31 PM

It's possible that LTC will become more popular and therefore your current mining efforts will be profitable, but it's certainly hard to say.  Any virtual currency mining, including BTC, is a risky economic venture.
ScotchMessiah

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:30:08 PM

I've seen several people talking about how BTC will be the "rich" money and LTC the "regular" money of the cryptocurrency system. Though I'm reallt not clear as to why anyone would think that, apart from "BTC was here first"... Is looking at the current exchange rate between these coins to the USD supposed to be some indication? it seems absurd if the endgame here is that BTC will not need to be exchanged for any fiat currency to be viable.
solstoce

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:37:52 PM

Every time I look at this topic being talked about I see this LTC to BTC comparison being done with the idea of silver being worth 1/4th of golds historical trade ratio.  but, the ratio of LTC to BTC has not reached the 1/4 ratio its actually much closer to 4/5 ratio BTC:LTC.  So yes in futures trading, LTC is the Silver to BTCs gold, but TODAY  futures trading of cryptocurrencys is nearly impossible. I say its a matter of which one "the people" promote and over all choose to use.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:39:56 PM

Bitcoin is "Bitcon's silver".

If LTC prospers it will be on its own merits and not because Bitcoin needs a silver.
covalence

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:01:19 PM

Bitcoin is "Bitcon's silver".

If LTC prospers it will be on its own merits and not because Bitcoin needs a silver.

I agree with this - I don't see many people (aside from miners) having a compelling reason to use LTC against BTC.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:03:51 PM

The only reason would be that blocks are solved at a faster rate (I believe it's 1/4th the time BTC takes but I could be wrong.)  It's supposed to make it better as a currency, than a store of wealth.  However, if LTC gets that popular, I can only wonder if it'll face the same issues Bitcoin is facing now.

shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:06:22 PM

Bitcoin rose in value because merchants accepted that as viable currency exchange media. LTC is not there yet. So, LTC has higher risk, but also higher gain.

I seriously doubt that any merchant will want ti juggle with more than one crypto-currency, so it is doubtful whether LTC will ever become anything other than what it is now.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:08:22 PM

Bitcoin rose in value because merchants accepted that as viable currency exchange media. LTC is not there yet. So, LTC has higher risk, but also higher gain.

I seriously doubt that any merchant will want ti juggle with more than one crypto-currency, so it is doubtful whether LTC will ever become anything other than what it is now.

That's what I was thinking.  However, it's also very quick and easy to switch between one coin to another, so perhaps a merchant back-end (something like BitPay) will allow a merchant to accept any currency and instantly convert it into the coin the merchant wants (or fiat.)

covalence

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:11:05 PM

That's what I was thinking.  However, it's also very quick and easy to switch between one coin to another, so perhaps a merchant back-end (something like BitPay) will allow a merchant to accept any currency and instantly convert it into the coin the merchant wants (or fiat.)

BTC-E makes it pretty easy to switch between coins and currencies. The more alternatives the better though. If the merchant had a backend that was dynamic and easily configure per item or per price it would help a lot. Or if there was USD price, BTC price, LTC price all listed.
shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:13:20 PM

BTC-E makes it pretty easy to switch between coins and currencies. The more alternatives the better though. If the merchant had a backend that was dynamic and easily configure per item or per price it would help a lot. Or if there was USD price, BTC price, LTC price all listed.

Yes, this is why, here is what I think:

1. btc is the primary cryptocurrency - and will remain like that
2. ltc will become secondary medium of exchange, and will transact between p2p
3. ltc will get converted to btc whenever transaction includes merchant or goods on other end
Paul89273

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 08:31:32 PM

Due to the amount of speculation in the Bitcoin market IMO Litecoin will be the next bubble for speculators, especially if MT Gox start trading Litecoins on their site. Long term who knows! Short term I think Litecoins will go up in value in a speculative bubble.

If anyone thinks this won't happen I'd love to hear your reasons/opinions
oldtimer97

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 08:42:51 PM

If Mt Gox starts trading LTC, it'll be a big boost to the ability of the currency to gain value. 

I personally would like to invest in both LTC and BTC.  Either way, you win. 
MoeJoe

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 08:39:11 PM

I hope LTC will progress like BTC did in the last 6 months Smiley
hamiltino

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 08:52:49 PM

The difference is they use different algorithms and are not created by the same person. LTC have more complex algorithms and can utilize cpu power more. Either way invest in it as there's little difference between the both and I believe litecoins is under noticed atm.

stacking coin
LOLMoney (OP)

Activity: 33

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 06:46:45 PM

I hope LTC will progress like BTC did in the last 6 months Smiley

This is what I'm really aiming for. I started mining on April 1st and LTC was worth $0.99, today it is worth over $4.
laris2

Activity: 688
Merit: 506

CryptoCurrency Evangelist

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 07:34:07 PM

I guess the benefit of litecoin is that it is currently not possible to mine it with asics and fpgas.
ASICS are really what are making network decentralised by giving a lot of power to their respective owners.
I guess the reason it spiked, people moved mining litecoins. More ASICS = More gpus moved to other networks or sold.

TEST
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:50:22 PM

I guess the benefit of litecoin is that it is currently not possible to mine it with asics and fpgas.
ASICS are really what are making network decentralised by giving a lot of power to their respective owners.
I guess the reason it spiked, people moved mining litecoins. More ASICS = More gpus moved to other networks or sold.

What kind of benefit are you mentioning about? And who gets this benefit? ---> that benefit brings no value to LTC as a currency as well as merchant. It just protects some miners' investment in VGA only. It is totally personal issue, not BTC issue.

Eeverybody can buy ASIC rigs, right?

In real world, gold and silver are different natural substances. They co-exists by nature. However, BTC and LTC are artificially created. BTC does not need LTC as a silver counterpart. We have a single internet, we need a single internet currency only.
FoundNemo

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:52:26 PM

LTC has the same characteristics as BTC, although LTC is more secure is shows more strangth as a prifitable and more valuable coin the BTC, but it's anyones game
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: