Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:35:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: private drones  (Read 2193 times)
em3rgentOrdr (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 09:37:48 PM

Here's what Eric Schmidt says: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/04/google-head-worried-about-privacy-risk-posed-by-civilian-drones/

"How would you feel if your neighbor went over and bought a commercial observation drone that they can launch from their backyard. It just flies over your house all day. How would you feel about it? I'm not going to pass judgment on whether armies should exist, but I would prefer to not spread and democratize the ability to fight war to every single human being. It's got to be regulated... It's one thing for governments, who have some legitimacy in what they're doing, but have other people doing it... it's not going to happen."

But what do my fellow bitcoiners think on the matter?

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 09:40:11 PM

If a espionage drone is flying over my property spying on me, I should be allowed to shoot it down, whether or not it's from the Government.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 09:50:26 PM

If a espionage drone is flying over my property spying on me, I should be allowed to shoot it down, whether or not it's from the Government.

That would be the answer.  If people didn't have the skills or capabilities to defend themselves from private property drones I am sure the free market would think of solutions.  Some companies might do it just for salvage rights.  Personally I have no problem with limited governments in theory.  The problem is that technology should have made governments more limited over time.  There is less and less need for the government to solve all problems.  However over the past say 100 years we have seen the exact opposite.  In the US the government share of GDP has continually rose for the last 50 or so years and so has number of agents employed by the government and the government's ability to spy on its own citizens.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 09:52:43 PM

There could be a private anti-drone business. This could be great fun until someone loses an eye.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
BIGMERVE

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 09:56:08 PM

Wether we like it or not we will lose all privacy in the future. It's been slowly happening for a long time and it will continue to happen.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 09:56:38 PM

There could be a private anti-drone business. This could be great fun until someone loses an eye.

Now who didn't smile thinking about going to work shooting down drones.  At the very extreme if anyone hasn't read Neil Stephenson's "The Diamond Age" it is a good read.  "Drones" are at the nano machine level.  Entire communities have drone swarms (think trillions) which act as an immune system hunting and disabling unauthorized drones much like your body hunts down infections. 
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 10:40:35 PM

Now who didn't smile thinking about going to work shooting down drones.  At the very extreme if anyone hasn't read Neil Stephenson's "The Diamond Age" it is a good read.  "Drones" are at the nano machine level.  Entire communities have drone swarms (think trillions) which act as an immune system hunting and disabling unauthorized drones much like your body hunts down infections. 

May or may not get that small, but yeah, I anticipate that arms race will be enjoyable to watch.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 11:21:04 PM

Private drones--isn't that an oxymoron?  What are you gonna do, keep it in your house?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 11:35:23 PM

Private drones--isn't that an oxymoron?  What are you gonna do, keep it in your house?
Privately owned.... :p

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 11:39:09 PM

So they're public drones, with private ownership Tongue  Problem is, nobody is going to want one around them, so how would it work?

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 11:43:54 PM

non military and non government... is there some reason why we should expect government and military drones to be less of a threat than private drones?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 11:56:14 PM

So they're public drones, with private ownership Tongue  Problem is, nobody is going to want one around them, so how would it work?
The idea is you use them to keep publicly owned -and other private drones - drones away from your airspace. At least, that's how I'd use 'em.

EtherDais

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 12:04:57 AM

Hmm, I can make 3D printed drone parts if anyone wants to make their own cheap quadcopter counter-drone.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 12:06:15 AM

The idea is you use them to keep publicly owned -and other private drones - drones away from your airspace. At least, that's how I'd use 'em.

Ha ha wouldn't be necessary if we'd all agree not to use them Grin  Like that'll ever happen.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 12:11:40 AM

Ha ha wouldn't be necessary if we'd all agree not to use them Grin  Like that'll ever happen.
I'll agree right now to never use a surveillance drone. Unless, you know, I suddenly become a private detective or something. Wink

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 01:23:31 AM

Butterfly Drones will be limited to only the first 300 orders for Batch #1, and we only accept Bitcoin as a payment option.

Our company consist of 22 employees...

Customer service means a lot to us, so we are expanding our staff...

Regardless of what you may have read on some forum, only two or three people have cancelled their pre-orders.

Our first batch of wings have arrived, therefore expect delivery next week, but don't ship your trade-in paper airplanes to us until we instruct you to do so.

We have shipped our first unit, but the party requested that we keep the drone at our facility for further testing.

Yes, we increased our prices for the second batch, but so did the other company that sells an inferior product and was late on delivery.

Jake, who just happens to work across the street from our facility, was kind enough to take a tour of operation. He was so impressed, we hired him as our PR guy. His background consist of building a model rocket once and operating a BBS that had 22 clients at its peak, the largest BBS at the time in Tennessee. (unfortunately, I didn't make that last sentence up)

Honest Abe, we will keep you abreast of any developments, so quit bother our customer service team with your silly questions. When there is something to ship, they will be the first to know and will relay the information to you. Meanwhile, does anybody know when the next edition of MineCraft is expected to be released?

Here's a video of one of our happy customers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdRCXrr-XHo
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 01:50:29 AM

Butterfly Drones will be limited to only the first 300 orders for Batch #1, and we only accept Bitcoin as a payment option.

Our company consist of 22 employees...

Customer service means a lot to us, so we are expanding our staff...

Regardless of what you may have read on some forum, only two or three people have cancelled their pre-orders.

Our first batch of wings have arrived, therefore expect delivery next week, but don't ship your trade-in paper airplanes to us until we instruct you to do so.

We have shipped our first unit, but the party requested that we keep the drone at our facility for further testing.

Yes, we increased our prices for the second batch, but so did the other company that sells an inferior product and was late on delivery.

Jake, who just happens to work across the street from our facility, was kind enough to take a tour of operation. He was so impressed, we hired him as our PR guy. His background consist of building a model rocket once and operating a BBS that had 22 clients at its peak, the largest BBS at the time in Tennessee. (unfortunately, I didn't make that last sentence up)

Honest Abe, we will keep you abreast of any developments, so quit bother our customer service team with your silly questions. When there is something to ship, they will be the first to know and will relay the information to you. Meanwhile, does anybody know when the next edition of MineCraft is expected to be released?

Here's a video of one of our happy customers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdRCXrr-XHo

im trying to push my cash through the screen but it wont go!?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 04:01:12 AM

im trying to push my cash through the screen but it wont go!?

You're not doing it right. Please email me your interest, and when I'm ready I'll request of you payment. Meanwhile, you'll receive a copy or two of our Newsletter proving that we can be trusted.

Bear in mind, that it's us that's taking all the risk in offering our lifetime warranty.

Butterfly Drones will be giving vouchers to the early investors due to the first shipment of wings using more power in flight than originally designed. AlphaAero will be sending us a new batch from Chicago and should only take a couple days to arrive at our new facility with the fancy signage at the entrance.

Meanwhile, get ready to trade-in your paper airplanes, for we is about to ship.

Once shipped, the revues will be coming in like a swarm of locust, detailing on how the Drones worked in their wind tunnels. You don't have a wind tunnel? No problem! Simply construct a box of...
JimmiesForBitcoins

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:51:23 AM

It's one thing for governments, who have some legitimacy in what they're doing, but have other people doing it... it's not going to happen."
I completely disagree. They have no legitimacy to be doing it whatsoever. Private individuals actually would, whether for resource prospecting, security, or search and rescue. There's lots of legitimate commercial applications for it. But letting a completely unaccountable, monopolistic organization that has the power to imprison and/or fine you thousands of dollars for destroying their hardware? Letting them monitor, track, and pass judgments upon you remotely from hundreds of feet in the air?

You must think CISPA is fantastic.

That would be the answer.  If people didn't have the skills or capabilities to defend themselves from private property drones I am sure the free market would think of solutions.  Some companies might do it just for salvage rights.
Due to people shooting them down or disabling them by other means, I believe their deployment by private individuals would be cost-prohibitive outside of business applications. I think common law would largely recognize people's right to protect their privacy from such drones. Seriously, who could blame someone for shooting down a drone that was monitoring them? I believe we call that "stalking".
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 04:56:38 AM

Quote from: Eric Schmidt
It's one thing for governments, who have some legitimacy in what they're doing, but have other people doing it... it's not going to happen."
I completely disagree. They have no legitimacy to be doing it whatsoever. Private individuals actually would, whether for resource prospecting, security, or search and rescue. There's lots of legitimate commercial applications for it. But letting a completely unaccountable, monopolistic organization that has the power to imprison and/or fine you thousands of dollars for destroying their hardware? Letting them monitor, track, and pass judgments upon you remotely from hundreds of feet in the air?

You must think CISPA is fantastic.

Just to clarify. Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: