Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:48:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MARS colonization or MINING in cosmos  (Read 2200 times)
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2017, 02:39:30 PM

Take a look at the costs, you'll find it's absurd. 

Going up and down the gravity well is expensive as all hell.  You'll never make that back no matter what you find on Ceres or the Moon.  Even if it were already stacked in refined bars waiting for you to pick them up!! 

OK as a fully subsidized mission with no profitability other than a technology subsidy, sure.  But as a proper business?  No way. 

At least not until we get that space elevator built Wink 

There are several projects to build a space elevator until 2050.
I think cost estimates were around 50-100 billion $ with usage of graphene or similar super materials.

It's hard to put a cost estimate on something that doesn't exist.  No material has been found which has anywhere near the required strength to weight ratio. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Oppolee

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 02:43:56 PM

Going up and down the gravity well is expensive as all hell.  You'll never make that back no matter what you find on Ceres or the Moon.  Even if it were already stacked in refined bars waiting for you to pick them up!! 

OK as a fully subsidized mission with no profitability other than a technology subsidy, sure.  But as a proper business?  No way. 

I think cost estimates were around 50-100 billion $ with usage of graphene or similar super materials.

It's hard to put a cost estimate on something that doesn't exist.  No material has been found which has anywhere near the required strength to weight ratio. 
I do not believe in such global projects. Still can't ensure the wide dissemination of technologies to make available the energy. It is less costly and more pragmatic and realistic projects.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 05:01:30 PM

This is wrong. Super materials that have a a high enough tensile strength already exist.
One of them is graphen. With a taper ratio of 1 and at GEO (around 36.000 km) the burden on graphen would only reach 87% of its tensile strength.

Edit the energy balance sheet of a space elevator doesnt have to be negative.
You could use gravity on the way to back to earth to recollect the energy needed to move the elevator upwards.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2017, 06:18:25 PM

This is wrong. Super materials that have a a high enough tensile strength already exist.
One of them is graphen. With a taper ratio of 1 and at GEO (around 36.000 km) the burden on graphen would only reach 87% of its tensile strength.

You could use gravity on the way to back to earth to recollect the energy needed to move the elevator upwards.

Graphene ribbons might do the trick, sure.  Might.  But do you know how to make them?  Can you make them well enough to do so - to deploy them from a geostationary platform?  5000 miles of ribbon and have it hold not only its own weight but all the friction of the atmospheric drag?  I don't think we are to the point yet where a cost could be put on this.  That fact that people are trying to put "dollar" figures on the costs here kinda proves this point - they aren't talking sense.

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
ovvidiy

Activity: 238
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 08:50:47 PM

Isn't it easier to do instead of the Elevator start from a space platform? I'm certainly no expert in these matters, but I do not believe in such projects. It seems to me that it just allows you to steal money from the budget.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
February 03, 2017, 01:28:56 AM

Isn't it easier to do instead of the Elevator start from a space platform? I'm certainly no expert in these matters, but I do not believe in such projects. It seems to me that it just allows you to steal money from the budget.

Space Platform by Murray Leinster

http://www.feedbooks.com/book/2431/space-platform

http://www.loyalbooks.com/book/Space-Platform-by-Murray-Leinster

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
February 03, 2017, 01:32:07 AM

Going up and down the gravity well is expensive as all hell.  You'll never make that back no matter what you find on Ceres or the Moon.  Even if it were already stacked in refined bars waiting for you to pick them up!!  

OK as a fully subsidized mission with no profitability other than a technology subsidy, sure.  But as a proper business?  No way.  

It's hard to put a cost estimate on something that doesn't exist.  No material has been found which has anywhere near the required strength to weight ratio.  

Graphene ribbons might do the trick, sure.  Might.  But do you know how to make them?  Can you make them well enough to do so - to deploy them from a geostationary platform?  5000 miles of ribbon and have it hold not only its own weight but all the friction of the atmospheric drag?  I don't think we are to the point yet where a cost could be put on this.  That fact that people are trying to put "dollar" figures on the costs here kinda proves this point - they aren't talking sense.

All true but continued, steady funding for R&D on space elevators, that's like something everyone could agree on.  Those funding amounts would be very tiny compared to any estimates of costs for something like Mars projects.
teeneffigy

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2017, 08:23:25 PM

I think we need to figure out how to mine deeper within the earth itself. Right now we are only scratching the surface. What's the point of travelling to other planets/moons/asteroids if all we need is already here. We just need to figure out a more efficient way to extract it.

Once earth is mined out right past the crust then I think its time to mine other planets, maybe in a few thousand years.
st0nefish

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2017, 11:15:36 PM

If humanity continues its life on other planets, it must do so with the resources of the planet it will go to. It does not make much sense to live on other planets by adhering to the resources of the world.

3D printers can be a solution in the future. We know which elements the elements we need come to fruition. We can find suitable elements and produce on other planets.

It does not matter whether it's mars or another planets. The important thing is to be able to survive using the resources of that planet.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
February 04, 2017, 11:20:37 PM

If humanity continues its life on other planets, it must do so with the resources of the planet it will go to. It does not make much sense to live on other planets by adhering to the resources of the world.

3D printers can be a solution in the future. We know which elements the elements we need come to fruition. We can find suitable elements and produce on other planets.

It does not matter whether it's mars or another planets. The important thing is to be able to survive using the resources of that planet.
This is correct, although it's unlikely we will be able to do things like build a laptop computer from local materials anywhere but Earth.  So there will be a stream of export goods from Earth, basically forever.
killyou73

Activity: 504
Merit: 185

View Profile
February 04, 2017, 11:59:22 PM

This is correct, although it's unlikely we will be able to do things like build a laptop computer from local materials anywhere but Earth.  So there will be a stream of export goods from Earth, basically forever.

That's not true, Mars could be colonized to be better than Earth.

For example, in the 1600s, could you go to the store and purchase items? Well that depends where you are, if you are in north America the answer is probably no, but if you are in England the answer is yes.

In 100 years technology advanced so quickly , 1900-2000. I do not think that it is a far cry to say that Mars will be colonized by 2100.

It only makes sense that if there are say 50million people living on Mars that their would be industries to make it a self supporting planet.
DD-Lex

Activity: 120

View Profile
February 05, 2017, 12:17:22 AM

How do you imagine survival on Mars using local resources? Can you believe this? I'm not saying that we need some means of production. You know that expression : "life is not stored"?
bohr

Activity: 994
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 05, 2017, 03:56:24 AM

Hello,

I personally think that we have to develop more further resource extraction from space. Mars, moon, comet mining for resource would get us more money Cheesy

I'm looking forward to hear from you what is more important:

Colonizing MARS or Mining the resources in cosmos?

Kind Regards,
Eventually mining space operations may be a possibility but there must be economically viable if it is not then there is not much of a point to even think about it.
DarkElf

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2017, 04:58:53 AM

theres no cosmos cos we live inside the Earth  Tongue
st0nefish

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 09:55:38 AM

How do you imagine survival on Mars using local resources? Can you believe this? I'm not saying that we need some means of production. You know that expression : "life is not stored"?

The important thing is to be able to find suitable elements.
All of the devices we use have some raw materials. Even artificial organs can be produced with 3D printer. There's even a house built with 3D printer.
The biggest problem is to meet our energy needs. Nuclear energy can be used for this. Of course security is a very important factor.
tuvok007
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 05:49:41 PM

We will see a couple of companies in this half of century colonizing Mars and mining asteroids,The owner(s) of that company (ies) will be first ever trillionaire!  Forget about billionaires, we will see a first trillionaire in the next 30 years.That person is alive now and thats probably Elon Musk!
Cherry Girl

Activity: 102

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 05:58:08 PM

We will see a couple of companies in this half of century colonizing Mars and mining asteroids,The owner(s) of that company (ies) will be first ever trillionaire!  Forget about billionaires, we will see a first trillionaire in the next 30 years.That person is alive now and thats probably Elon Musk!
He better start producing not expensive alternative technologies. He promises that there would be Autonomous technology which allows to provide energy to the house, but I don't see them. Tesla is also very expensive.
tuvok007
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 06:21:12 PM

He better start producing not expensive alternative technologies. He promises that there would be Autonomous technology which allows to provide energy to the house, but I don't see them. Tesla is also very expensive.

But you cant expect to achieve what he promised over night or two-three years!  Thats decades of hard work,thousands and thousand of engineers, thousands of trys and hundreds of failures........ dosent happen over night...
SameHow

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 07:47:26 PM

But you cant expect to achieve what he promised over night or two-three years!  Thats decades of hard work,thousands and thousand of engineers, thousands of trys and hundreds of failures........ dosent happen over night...
It seems to me that everything is much easier. Elon musk tries to create new technology. Maybe it would make sense to announce a competition in the world. A lot of people have this problem but I have no money for promotion. Maybe it's faster?
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 09:43:03 PM

Musk is making money, all that talk how he wants to change the world is just for the press, to create an image of an inventor out of him. Every big computer hardware company is full of such investors, the difference is there are projects that can be sold for loads of money and projects that we all end up using for free or buying at a store for $99,95. What is more important for a typical person? A faster PC, or a wall battery that costs a small fortune to install and maintain and all it gives you is the false sense of going green and off grid?

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███