Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:56:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Stratix-5 A7 or D5 project 01.05.2013 update  (Read 6569 times)
dan99

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:07:43 AM

Avalon Asic run at 282mh/s and only cost $8, so let say with 6 chip/ 1692mh/s is only --- $48, would you be able to beat this price

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
funnow (OP)

Activity: 347
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 11:36:45 AM

Avalon Asic run at 282mh/s and only cost $8, so let say with 6 chip/ 1692mh/s is only --- $48, would you be able to beat this price

Yeah, okay. But I can't answer If I don't have the primary answer: does anybody know the hashrate of Stratix V A7 or D5?
So with this information I could answer more....
Tyger

Activity: 141
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:15:21 PM

you can order a dev kit, but they cost some money
lame.duck
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:36:26 PM

If I only could know the hashrate of Stratix-V A7 or D5 I could write more details about my project.

Well, depends on how skilled your engineer is. Please compare the range of the  bitstreams for teh spartan6 which  spans 200 MHash/s to ?300? MHash/s.
Signus

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:25:57 PM

For those who are developing anything at all, they have better chances learning how to develop FPGA dev boards if they don't have a few years of Engineering or tinkering under their belt. While those Avalon chips are a steal, and I might buy a few soon, I'd like to get documentation about them, and what their requirements are before I go and build an ASIC rig for myself.

Not too many people have a deep understanding of the Avalon chips, so for most people it's not a good idea to buy them up before they know what to do with them.

If I only could know the hashrate of Stratix-V A7 or D5 I could write more details about my project.

I would assume between 150-300MH/s per chip. The hashrate depends on a number of things. Firstly it depends on the clock rate you set the FPGA at, and secondly it depends on the bitstream you program into the FPGA.

Do you have experience with FPGA's at all?
dan99

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:37:59 PM

at the end of the day is always how many hash rate per chip and at what price is the chip that counts...
funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 05:12:15 PM

Well, depends on how skilled your engineer is. Please compare the range of the  bitstreams for teh spartan6 which  spans 200 MHash/s to ?300? MHash/s.

I'm still alone, I only have an idea, no team, no engineer....
funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 05:13:32 PM

150-300MH/s only?? I'm not talking about Spartan-6....
Signus

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:29:28 PM

Yeah for some reason I was thinking Spartan 6, was half asleep.

As far as the Virtex-7 goes, and the bandwith that chip is capable of it can produce roughly ~1GH/s to maybe 3GH/s. It's a very beefy chip, and also very expensive. I'm talking $4000 a chip.

The Stratix 5 I'm not quite sure. I don't see any numbers as far as chip bandwidth goes, but it's outrageously expensive per chip as well.

So I don't know how low of a price you're trying to negotiate, or where from. I'm curious as to why you would consider the investment if you aren't an Engineer or don't have one?
funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 05:34:42 PM

As far as the Virtex-7 goes, and the bandwith that chip is capable of it can produce roughly ~1GH/s to maybe 3GH/s. It's a very beefy chip, and also very expensive. I'm talking $4000 a chip.

The Stratix 5 I'm not quite sure. I don't see any numbers as far as chip bandwidth goes, but it's outrageously expensive per chip as well.

So I don't know how low of a price you're trying to negotiate, or where from. I'm curious as to why you would consider the investment if you aren't an Engineer or don't have one?

I'm not an engineer and I don't have any. No problem, we are human and we have to make mistakes.
Yeah Virtex-7 is a good one. And Kintex-7? It could be possible the 7K410T series could make about 750mhash/s?
Thanks again.
funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 05:47:08 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2013, 09:09:07 PM by funnow

The conclusion is that Stratix-5 is little bit faster but more power usage.
I think I will wait to test the chip and post the results. If such good, I will move the project forward.
Thanks to all who are helping me.
Wish me good luck Smiley
phk

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:42:38 PM

lame.duck is right, it all depends.

On the low end at least 1800 MH/s, on the high end you won't know until someone does it.

funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 08:03:30 AM

lame.duck is right, it all depends.

On the low end at least 1800 MH/s, on the high end you won't know until someone does it.

I agree too, but first I have to test and see the results.

And please people don't send me PM regarding chip offers, because I have serious suppliers and I don't want waste money in untrustable persons Grin
Signus

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:30:43 PM

I'm not an engineer and I don't have any. No problem, we are human and we have to make mistakes.
Yeah Virtex-7 is a good one. And Kintex-7? It could be possible the 7K410T series could make about 750mhash/s?
Thanks again.

Well my point is that you not an Engineer nor do you have one, and yet you're thinking about investing thousands of dollars on a product you have no idea how to design? The Virtex-7 and Stratix-5 are very expensive chips, and the only way you can afford them per chip is to by them tens of thousands at a time. Assuming you have a design in the first place.

Even without being an Engineer you should realize the pricepoint of what you want to do is very very high.
funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 07:24:32 AM

Thanks again.

Well my point is that you not an Engineer nor do you have one, and yet you're thinking about investing thousands of dollars on a product you have no idea how to design? The Virtex-7 and Stratix-5 are very expensive chips, and the only way you can afford them per chip is to by them tens of thousands at a time. Assuming you have a design in the first place.

Even without being an Engineer you should realize the pricepoint of what you want to do is very very high.
I have excluded Virtex-7, so the project will be with Stratix-5. And if I'm not or I don't have an Engineer, It doesn't mean that I can't do a project Smiley
And believe me the price would not be high.
Signus

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:14:07 AM

I do understand, and it's fine to learn.

Do you have any experience handling electronics? If not, I suggest reading up on soldering SMT and through-hole components. And one of my favorite books for FPGA's is Embedded Design Using Programmable Gate Arrays by Dennis Silage. Very useful.

Both chips are roughly the same price, aside from the distributors. How many chips do you plan on buying? Minimal quantities will run you thousands per chip. My sources on that one are Digikey and Altera.

If you buy 25k I imagine you can get them at a fraction of the cost, but buying a single chip would break bank unless you're rolling in dough, haha.
funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 08:29:12 AM

Do you have any experience handling electronics? If not, I suggest reading up on soldering SMT and through-hole components. And one of my favorite books for FPGA's is Embedded Design Using Programmable Gate Arrays by Dennis Silage. Very useful.

Both chips are roughly the same price, aside from the distributors. How many chips do you plan on buying? Minimal quantities will run you thousands per chip. My sources on that one are Digikey and Altera.

If you buy 25k I imagine you can get them at a fraction of the cost, but buying a single chip would break bank unless you're rolling in dough, haha.

I have a little experience in handling electronics, much more I have in computer repairing (about 30 years) but If I will need someone, there is a friend company doing this and they probably help me. Yeah similar prices, but Stratix-5 +5% of hashrate and little more power usage,...
I have sources in CHN (one of my friends moved in China) so If I find any good price, he checks the company,..... Single chip will be bought only for test, but I'm still doing some research about this part.
And as I see maybe my post is somehow interesting (see a lot of you is reading this) -> also helping me, and I can only say thanks.
Maybe the first batch will be about 15k, maybe more. But first I have to find some computer for gold refining (lol) to have a bigger $ cap (he he)
kingcoin

Activity: 262

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 08:40:36 AM

Which Stratix7 and ArriaV do you have in mind?
funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 08:43:07 AM

Did I miss something? Are those new chips? Never mentioned any Arria series chip. And nowhere is mentioned Stratix - VII
Signus

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:49:25 AM

Did I miss something? Are those new chips? Never mentioned any Arria series chip. And nowhere is mentioned Stratix - VII

I'm not sure what he means either. I think only Stratix V is the newest model.

I have a little experience in handling electronics, much more I have in computer repairing (about 30 years) but If I will need someone, there is a friend company doing this and they probably help me. Yeah similar prices, but Stratix-5 +5% of hashrate and little more power usage,...
I have sources in CHN (one of my friends moved in China) so If I find any good price, he checks the company,..... Single chip will be bought only for test, but I'm still doing some research about this part.
And as I see maybe my post is somehow interesting (see a lot of you is reading this) -> also helping me, and I can only say thanks.
Maybe the first batch will be about 15k, maybe more. But first I have to find some computer for gold refining (lol) to have a bigger $ cap (he he)

Okay, and I would love to be of assistance, I have experience with FPGA's and embedded design. Just not the funds to get my hands on good equipment. Even my University won't buy me anything good for my research.

If he finds you a good rate, let me know. I have heard a lot of people ordering chips or FPGA's from HK and so much so that it's almost ridiculous the kind of savings they're getting. I want to know because I'll be investing a lot of money developing FPGA's in the future.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: