Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:04:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Stratix-5 A7 or D5 project 01.05.2013 update  (Read 6569 times)
Signus

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 01:27:51 PM

You would probably get better response if you started a new thread about this subject.

FPGA's have internal memory. The size is limited, but the memory access has very low latency. Further it's no problem to add external DDR3 or other types of external memory to the FPGA. Most modern FPGA's will typically contain one or more hard memory controllers.

I don't know anything about the memory access pattern of a litecoin application, but I got the impression that it's basically a large cache. You could treat all the internal memory as a cache with low latency access for the external DDR3 memory. The good thing about the FPGA is that you could potentially tune the cache replacement algorithm towards the application, which is something that would be difficult on a CPU. However, I don't know much about scrypt so I can't be more specific.

I love that modern FPGA's have the capability for memory extensions. Implement a memory controller and then you can essentially fine tune the process later, given you'll need to write a test bench to ensure that you can actually read/write all blocks of memory correctly. Then you can sort out how to implement scrypt into the equation.

I'm not quite sure either as far as that goes. I need to read into it a little more.

Regardless, funnow, FPGA still has a future in either application, and really any application. That is why FPGA's are so widely used. I would definitely learn how to build a FPGA solution for BTC, that will get you started. And once you learn the basics of FPGA's, Verilog, Simulations, PCB Design, etc., then start learning how you may implement a scrypt bitstream into an FPGA.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
funnow (OP)

Activity: 347
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 01:41:42 PM

You would probably get better response if you started a new thread about this subject.

FPGA's have internal memory. The size is limited, but the memory access has very low latency. Further it's no problem to add external DDR3 or other types of external memory to the FPGA. Most modern FPGA's will typically contain one or more hard memory controllers.

I don't know anything about the memory access pattern of a litecoin application, but I got the impression that it's basically a large cache. You could treat all the internal memory as a cache with low latency access for the external DDR3 memory. The good thing about the FPGA is that you could potentially tune the cache replacement algorithm towards the application, which is something that would be difficult on a CPU. However, I don't know much about scrypt so I can't be more specific.

I will start a new thread when I will heve more information of all the things; Materials, videos, will be posted....
I don't want figure out as someone who is only talking bullshit.
I have ideas and If I see that I can move to the next level, I will, If no. I will say, thanks for help. The project is dead Smiley

kingcoin

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 08:27:07 PM

Actually my request to start a new thread was directed to Signus regarding a new thread about litecoin FPGA mining and keeping this thread more on topic.
funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 08:01:44 AM

Actually my request to start a new thread was directed to Signus regarding a new thread about litecoin FPGA mining and keeping this thread more on topic.

But he has to put on alternative coin part of the forum Smiley

I have changed because I will not use Virtex Smiley so is why.
Yesterday I find a good post on another forum and I can't find it again, yeah It was on my laptop.... Lol
So in next weeks I will probably buy some chips and test.
The power usage is about 60W per chip, maybe little less.
Signus

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:59:52 AM

Oh yes I apologize, I was just mentioning that if he invests capital into an FPGA miner for bitcoins, that he always has the option to fall back on FGPA's because they are re-programmable. Wasn't trying to stray too far off topic.

But he has to put on alternative coin part of the forum Smiley

I have changed because I will not use Virtex Smiley so is why.
Yesterday I find a good post on another forum and I can't find it again, yeah It was on my laptop.... Lol
So in next weeks I will probably buy some chips and test.
The power usage is about 60W per chip, maybe little less.

Yes I do. I'll query there about many things. (See above statement).

Did you ever get a decent quote on those chips? If you really do get a decent price I'd like to buy a few up to play with. Simulations can only do you so much.

Where are you coming up with a power estimate? If it's of any use to you, Altera has a Power Estimator spreasheet you can use. I think you'll need Microsoft Office. It locks up consistently with LibreOffice or OpenOffice. http://www.altera.com/support/devices/estimator/pow-powerplay.jsp
kingcoin

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:42:41 AM

Oh yes I apologize, I was just mentioning that if he invests capital into an FPGA miner for bitcoins, that he always has the option to fall back on FGPA's because they are re-programmable. Wasn't trying to stray too far off topic.

No problem. But you would probably get better response regarding your interest in litecoins in a thread entitled "FPGA's and litecoins" or similar.
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:59:48 AM

Power estimator nicely opens in google docs, but I have no idea how to simulate. There's no cell to input frequency or number of LEs.

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 07:07:47 AM

No problem. But you would probably get better response regarding your interest in litecoins in a thread entitled "FPGA's and litecoins" or similar.
My interest in other cryptocurrencies is 0 Smiley so my idea is only for Bitcoin...
phk

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:23:15 PM

Power estimator nicely opens in google docs, but I have no idea how to simulate. There's no cell to input frequency or number of LEs.

No, it doesn't work with Google Sheets.  It depends heavily on Excel Macros.
funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 04:30:00 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2013, 04:51:08 PM by funnow

I have a request -> I have to collect 80 BTC for get 2 development boards
So anybody who will help me, if he will order a machine, he will get a discount price. Hope is fair enough.

I have to test, but I think also LTC mining will be possible  Grin because of some memory (he he)

So if any of you could help me, that I go on with tests, I would be more than happy.
phk

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:36:22 PM

What board are you looking to purchase?
funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 04:52:22 PM

This will be write when the machines will be ready to ship.
phk

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:05:10 PM

This will be write when the machines will be ready to ship.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are saying.

I thought you were asking for donations of 80BTC to purchase (2) development boards for your own use during development.  Is that true?  If so, what development board do you want to purchase?

If you already understood my question, then I don't understand your response: can you rephrase it?

funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 05:15:09 PM

I have an NDA with the company, so I can't say which board will be used. Sorry.
I was asking the company if I can remotelly connect on the machine for 2 days and test, the answer was NO way.
So I'm trying to do my best to collect the money...
I would like to start this project, because Is not only for BTC mining.
phk

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:46:05 PM

I have an NDA with the company, so I can't say which board will be used. Sorry.

Sorry, but for what it's worth, this is not customary and since you have already declared you don't have any experience developing anything (let alone HDL or boards with high end FPGA on them), asking for 80BTC in donations might diminish people confidence in you.

You may want to defer asking for donations until you have demonstrated that your plan is more fully thought through, and that you have the capability to produce something.  There is already a lot of people on here angry at multiple organizations for taking their money and not producing anything 6 months / 1 year / 18 months later.

Again, IMHO, you don't actually need to have physical hardware until you want to establish the (marginal) performance gains you'll get through overclocking/cooling in the real world.  Under normal conditions, the reports from the tools are accurate enough.
funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 06:21:56 PM

I know and I agree with you. But I don't like to say for example:
New BTC/LTC machine with xy hashrate using yz power and than when I start selling, sorry people I give you wrong hashing numbers and wrong power usage.
I would like to be honest with everyone. I know that I'm asking too much, but I would like to do a project and be proud that I'm not one of the scammers who would like to sell something that doesn't exists.
I said that I'm doing a new project from scratch, before I get some answers from some company, so everything changed.

And when I will start selling, I will start selling on the date written!

I want write the real hash numbers and power usage!
phk

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:32:30 PM

I want write the real hash numbers and power usage!

In case you did not understand my previous post, you do not need real hardware to get those answers.   The actual real world numbers will vary a bit (small percentage), but certainly the tools provide enough information for you to figure out if the project is even worth building real hardware for.

(hash rate, power, unit cost)

Obviously, since unit cost is in several thousand dollar range, the hash rate and power consumption from your analysis would need to be compelling to be marketable.
funnow (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 06:36:30 PM

I understand everything, but software is software and real tests are real tests.
As I said the hasrate is 1-3ghash/s, maybe little more, and the power usage is something near 60W, but I would like to put exact numbers.
With the software I don't think I could get exact numbers.
phk

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:46:29 PM

I understand everything, but software is software and real tests are real tests.
As I said the hasrate is 1-3ghash/s, maybe little more, and the power usage is something near 60W, but I would like to put exact numbers.

OK let's try this a different way:

what is the exact hash rate and power consumption reported by the tools for your current HDL design?

In other words, what are the exact numbers the tools are projecting for you right now?

lame.duck
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:51:49 PM

If you hire a skilled engineer who knows how to do the simulations those  numbers should be acurate enough. At least you could  see how many cores fit into  this or that fpga  etc. BTW its very unlikely that your  hwdeveloper has not some hardware  to test the design. 'Exact' numbers would also depend on the schematic for the power supply which may be different from the one used on the development board.

I wonder the NDA allows you to disclose  you have to pay 80 BTC, as  prices are usually also subject to NDAs.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: