Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:40:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin bounties via Github  (Read 1848 times)
ryepdx (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 08:41:33 AM

Bitcoin Bounties
http://bitcoinbounties.com/

Git bitcoin

Bitcoin Bounties lets you earn bitcoin by helping out open source projects.

Here's how:
  • Connect your Github account and give us a bitcoin address to send your earnings to.
  • Find an issue on the issues page and fork the associated project.
  • Make a commit to your fork that fixes the issue and issue a pull request to close it. We'll send you the issue's bounty within 24 hours after the pull request has been accepted and the issue has been closed.

To help maintain the service, Bitcoin Bounties keeps 0.5% of all bounties.

Git love (for your project)

Just copy and and paste the URLs to your most pernicious issues into the box on the login page and send some bitcoin to the addresses we automatically generate for you. And if other people want to help sweeten the pot, all the better: all funds sent to the bitcoin address generated for an issue will go toward rewarding whoever authors the pull request that closes it. Share the issue's page and see how much you can raise!

Technical details

Bitcoin Bounties is hosted on an EBS-backed m1.small EC2 instance, with the database and hot wallet kept on an additional four RAIDed EBS volumes. All bitcoins sent to the hot wallet get passed into an offline wallet and held there until at least 24 hours after the Github issue is closed. If there is a dispute over the bounty's proper recipient, you must get in contact with me within that timeframe.

If the recipient of the bounty has not registered their Github account with Bitcoin Bounties, I will get in contact with them so they can claim their bounty.

Feedback?

Please let me know if there are additional features you would like to see at bitcoinbounties.com, or if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 08:43:37 AM

Pretty cool service!
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 10:14:10 AM

Is http://bitcoinbounties.com/registration/finished supposed to be a blank page?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
melvster

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 06:20:53 PM

Bitcoin Bounties
http://bitcoinbounties.com/

Git bitcoin

Bitcoin Bounties lets you earn bitcoin by helping out open source projects.

Here's how:
  • Connect your Github account and give us a bitcoin address to send your earnings to.
  • Find an issue on the issues page and fork the associated project.
  • Make a commit to your fork that fixes the issue and issue a pull request to close it. We'll send you the issue's bounty within 24 hours after the pull request has been accepted and the issue has been closed.

To help maintain the service, Bitcoin Bounties keeps 0.5% of all bounties.

Git love (for your project)

Just copy and and paste the URLs to your most pernicious issues into the box on the login page and send some bitcoin to the addresses we automatically generate for you. And if other people want to help sweeten the pot, all the better: all funds sent to the bitcoin address generated for an issue will go toward rewarding whoever authors the pull request that closes it. Share the issue's page and see how much you can raise!

Technical details

Bitcoin Bounties is hosted on an EBS-backed m1.small EC2 instance, with the database and hot wallet kept on an additional four RAIDed EBS volumes. All bitcoins sent to the hot wallet get passed into an offline wallet and held there until at least 24 hours after the Github issue is closed. If there is a dispute over the bounty's proper recipient, you must get in contact with me within that timeframe.

If the recipient of the bounty has not registered their Github account with Bitcoin Bounties, I will get in contact with them so they can claim their bounty.

Feedback?

Please let me know if there are additional features you would like to see at bitcoinbounties.com, or if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks!

Love the concept, I signed up ...

Does every issue have to be manually curated by an "oracle"?
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 09:23:51 PM
Last edit: April 15, 2013, 09:40:28 PM by ryepdx

Is http://bitcoinbounties.com/registration/finished supposed to be a blank page?

Nope, it's not. Thanks for the heads up. I've fixed it.

Does every issue have to be manually curated by an "oracle"?

Yes. There are too many issues on Github for me to just start pulling them at random, and I don't particularly want to start showing issues with zero donations in the issues list. I figure the friction of copying and pasting a URL into a text field is low enough as to be negligible. And if the issue is already in the system, it won't add it again, so there's not really any disincentive to adding any issues you think should be in the system without first checking for them.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 09:53:39 PM

So since I'm able to login, but not tell what my BTC address is, can you add a way to view and/or change it?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 10:38:21 PM

So since I'm able to login, but not tell what my BTC address is, can you add a way to view and/or change it?

registration/finished should only be showing up once you've supplied your bitcoin address. Is it showing up before then for you, then?

You can supply your bitcoin address at http://bitcoinbounties.com/registration if you have not already. You can view the bitcoin address bound to your Github account at http://bitcoinbounties.com/account. (You can access that page also by clicking your Github avatar in the nav bar after logging in.)
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 09:06:02 AM

Ah, yeah, it's in there. I was 1) concerned it didn't go in because of the blank page 2) wondering what would happen if you lost or wanted to change your BTC address after being registered.

ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 06:53:45 AM

The flow/site is a bit broken.
I just tried to post a bounty for this issue.

1. The URL I got to was

I'm pretty sure that was not supposed to be undefined.

2. The only way to pay was to scan a QR code. Where is the actual Bitcoin address for those who don't want to pay with a mobile device?

3. Is there a permalink to the issue on bitcoinbounties? I want to see how it looks before deposting my hard earned bitcoins there.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:11:35 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 05:15:44 PM by ryepdx

The flow/site is a bit broken.
I just tried to post a bounty for this issue.

Sorry about that. I've been neglecting the website after being picked up by a startup solving more or less the same problem. The bug appears to have been caused by a stopped bitcoind instance. I just learned about monit and set it up to check the bitcoind process once every minute, so that shouldn't happen again.

1. The URL I got to was

I'm pretty sure that was not supposed to be undefined.

True facts. Caused by the lack of a bitcoind process. It's working now.

2. The only way to pay was to scan a QR code. Where is the actual Bitcoin address for those who don't want to pay with a mobile device?

There's a Bitcoin address on every issue page, right below/beside (depending on how wide your screen is) the "Donation Address" heading.

3. Is there a permalink to the issue on bitcoinbounties? I want to see how it looks before deposting my hard earned bitcoins there.

Yes, there is. I went ahead and re-submitted your issue URL for you once I got bitcoind up again. The permalink for your issue is http://bitcoinbounties.com/issues/18azyNr8mCDte9rVtfcCVPwrhUTTqD2sxY. Clicking the "Keep track of your issue's progess" button after submitting an issue takes you to that issue's donation page.
evilscoop

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:16:19 PM

sweet idea..
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:17:42 PM

sweet idea..

Thanks!
Flow

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 02:50:55 PM

Is the site down? What's the current state?

I really like the idea. But it would be nice if there was an option to create bounties for bugs or feature requests independently of github.
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 03:22:18 PM

Is the site down? What's the current state?

I really like the idea. But it would be nice if there was an option to create bounties for bugs or feature requests independently of github.

dead as far as i can see
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 11:51:21 PM

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I figure an update is in order:
Bitcoin Bounties got shut down in order to allow me to work with a startup building a larger product whose functionality was going to be greater that Bitcoin Bounties'. Said startup failed, and I haven't yet revived Bitcoin Bounties. I may do so if there is enough interest, though.
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 06:05:26 AM

FYI we will have something similar to Bitcoin Bounties on top of Mastercoin.

https://trello.com/c/KcZ6FfSu/2-100-spec-bounties

No ETA yet, but it will work in a completely decentralized way.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: