Bitcoin Forum
July 26, 2024, 05:27:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 »
  Print  
Author Topic: This is the thread where you discuss free market, americans and libertarianism  (Read 33834 times)
FreedomEqualsRiches

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:17:25 PM

9/10ths of the way to 1000 posts and I don't see "americans" in the thread discussion.

False advertising or just off topic?

False advertising. Look who started the thread. Wink

Just noticed the color of his ignore button.

That explains much.

What does having a different colour mean?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68329.0

Matthew N. Wright FTW.  LOL!

BTC: 1M7gCkPUQe76pAs4Ya6wM3ihqKHKA1TYB8
LTC: LYYC67qyVXnbvv11mYzcPREhVRgkmA8zz3
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 04:40:43 PM

9/10ths of the way to 1000 posts and I don't see "americans" in the thread discussion.

The USA was founded on the free market and libertarian ideals, as per the Bill of Rights, so much of the discussion here is indirectly about America.

Federalism <> Libertarian ideals. Plus there are some things in the founding document about 3/5th of a person that were kinda  Tongue
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 04:44:11 PM

The USA was founded on the free market and libertarian ideals, as per the Bill of Rights, so much of the discussion here is indirectly about America.

Federalism <> Libertarian ideals. Plus there are some things in the founding document about 3/5th of a person that were kinda  Tongue
Well, let us say that the US was founded on a compromise between Libertarian-type ideals, and less libertarian pragmatism.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:12:34 PM

True enough.  Also, despite the attempt at individual liberty, a government always implies a concentration of power, and as such, will always, in time, metastasize into a tyranny.
There is an interesting story called "The Mote in God's Eye", in which a sentient species is doomed to cycles of civilization and savagry for eternity, due to the nature of their biology, and certain members called "Crazy Eddys" keep proposing solutions to this trap.  IMHO we AnCaps are quite similar to a "Crazy Eddy" faction, in that we have carefully thought out a solution to the seemingly never-ending threat to liberty inherent in government.

TomUnderSea

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:02:10 PM

True enough.  Also, despite the attempt at individual liberty, a government always implies a concentration of power, and as such, will always, in time, metastasize into a tyranny.
There is an interesting story called "The Mote in God's Eye", in which a sentient species is doomed to cycles of civilization and savagry for eternity, due to the nature of their biology, and certain members called "Crazy Eddys" keep proposing solutions to this trap.  IMHO we AnCaps are quite similar to a "Crazy Eddy" faction, in that we have carefully thought out a solution to the seemingly never-ending threat to liberty inherent in government.

As "Crazy Eddies" you are doomed to failure.

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 09:04:37 PM

If you'll remember, at the end of "Mote in God's Eye" the "Crazy Eddies" were getting closer and closer to getting out...

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:27:41 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2013, 09:39:31 PM by FreedomEqualsRiches

True enough.  Also, despite the attempt at individual liberty, a government always implies a concentration of power, and as such, will always, in time, metastasize into a tyranny.
There is an interesting story called "The Mote in God's Eye", in which a sentient species is doomed to cycles of civilization and savagry for eternity, due to the nature of their biology, and certain members called "Crazy Eddys" keep proposing solutions to this trap.  IMHO we AnCaps are quite similar to a "Crazy Eddy" faction, in that we have carefully thought out a solution to the seemingly never-ending threat to liberty inherent in government.

If you'll remember, at the end of "Mote in God's Eye" the "Crazy Eddies" were getting closer and closer to getting out...

I think that now that the AnCap idea exists, it will be realized, eventually, even if the current setup must collapse first, as it will, at the usual cost in terms of human life.

TomUnderSea

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:40:42 PM

Actually, their civilization collapsed.  Their improvements to the Langston Field device actually made it less effective.  Despite repeated efforts the Moties efforts to escape their star system failed.

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:41:00 PM

He may have meant that as long as AnCap is not part of mainstream thinking, we have no hope of success.  I disagree with him.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 09:42:36 PM

I think, that now that the AnCap idea exists, it will be realized, eventually, even if the current setup must collapse first, as it will, at the usual cost in terms of human life.

I think agorism is our best bet... Have you read "Alongside Night"?

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:42:58 PM

Actually, their civilization collapsed.  Their improvements to the Langston Field device actually made it less effective.  Despite repeated efforts the Moties efforts to escape their star system failed.

Collapsed to climb again.  Never give up.  Humans are not Moties.

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:44:05 PM

True enough.  Also, despite the attempt at individual liberty, a government always implies a concentration of power, and as such, will always, in time, metastasize into a tyranny.
There is an interesting story called "The Mote in God's Eye", in which a sentient species is doomed to cycles of civilization and savagry for eternity, due to the nature of their biology, and certain members called "Crazy Eddys" keep proposing solutions to this trap.  IMHO we AnCaps are quite similar to a "Crazy Eddy" faction, in that we have carefully thought out a solution to the seemingly never-ending threat to liberty inherent in government.

I think, that now that the AnCap idea exists, it will be realized, eventually, even if the current setup must collapse first, as it will, at the usual cost in terms of human life.

No I haven't, but I'm about to violate some IP rights to get it.

Update:  IP rights violated, free data in my hands.

TomUnderSea

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:56:48 PM

I think I have found myself surrounded by a collection of young intellectuals who have never faced a decision more traumatic than whether or not to have regular or non-fat whip on top of their latte.

Spend a few hungry sleepless nights dealing with people intent on killing you and the more fundamental aspects of life will become very clear.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:00:39 PM

I think I have found myself surrounded by a collection of young intellectuals who have never faced a decision more traumatic than whether or not to have regular or non-fat whip on top of their latte.

You think incorrectly.

FreedomEqualsRiches

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:08:54 PM

Spend a few hungry sleepless nights dealing with people intent on killing you and the more fundamental aspects of life will become very clear.

I live with no electricity and no running water for 5 out of seven days a week.  I work cheap in the woods with a chainsaw making fuel and building material.  I am a good shot with handguns (to 25 yards), shotguns and rifles, at least to 100 yards.  So, you're tough.  So am I.  Do you think that these ideals grow in a vacuum?  What do you do to further the cause of freedom, other than fight for a state or live in Detroit?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 10:27:22 PM

...or live in Detroit?
It occurs to me that does fairly accurately describe living in some of the better parts of Detroit. Cheesy

TomUnderSea

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 11:49:13 PM

I live with no electricity and no running water for 5 out of seven days a week.  I work cheap in the woods with a chainsaw making fuel and building material.  I am a good shot with handguns (to 25 yards), shotguns and rifles, at least to 100 yards.  So, you're tough.  So am I.  Do you think that these ideals grow in a vacuum?  What do you do to further the cause of freedom, other than fight for a state or live in Detroit?

I used to generate electricity and make running hot and cold water.  That got boring.  
I used to generate energy by pulling two large chunks of carefully designed, engineered and manufactured metal apart at extremely precise rates and amounts.  That got boring.  
I used to maintain security of a nuclear submarine base.  That got boring.  
I used to make warships invisible to radar.  That got boring.  
I used to make sure that nuclear weapons would work when needed but only when needed.  That got boring.  
I used to design lasers for weapons.  That got boring.  
I used to test satellites before they were launched.  That got boring.  
I used to fix robots that destroyed roadside bombs.  That got boring.  
I used to hold political office.  That got boring.  

Now I study the ocean. I hope we learn enough that we can protect it from the CO2 acid bath that mankind is pumping into it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification

If I am successful, our great great great grand children might have an earth to grow up in.

If not, our great great great grand children will be more worried about their physiological needs than safety. (reference Maslow)

However, I have never worked cheap, even when handling a chainsaw, so you got me there.

edit
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a couple of these:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marksmanship_Medal

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 11:54:38 PM

Aww, all that, and you never thought about making it possible for our great great great grandchildren to go to space instead? You're not as cool as my great great great grandpa Tsiolkovsky  Tongue
TomUnderSea

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 11:55:26 PM

Aww, all that, and you never thought about making it possible for our great great great grandchildren to go to space instead? You're not as cool as my great great great grandpa Tsiolkovsky  Tongue

You are absolutely correct. I am a complete and total failure.

Sorry.

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 11:58:48 PM

You are absolutely correct. I am a complete and total failure.

Sorry.

Just saying it's weird the focus of your direction went down instead of up  Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 »
  Print  

Jump to: