Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:41:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Several scam coins  (Read 1000 times)
nemgun (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 533

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2017, 12:35:56 PM

Hello,

This accusation is about coins created by the same developers, using the same scheme, they always end as scam projects or abandoned :

- Impeach
- Joker
- Smurf
- Luna

The proofs :

- These IP addresses are recurrent either as electrum server, seed node, block explorer : 84.200.210.70 | 45.55.83.96

Luna : https://github.com/lunawallet/lunawallet/blob/master/src/net.cpp#L937
Smurf : https://github.com/smurfscoin/smf/blob/master/src/net.cpp#L941
Joker : https://github.com/jokercoindev/joker/blob/master/src/net.cpp#L941
Impeach : present in the ANN thread as a node, but whois.domaintools show these infos :

Registrant Org    WhoisGuard, Inc. was found in ~5,143,895 other domains    
Reverse Whois  
Registrar    NAMECHEAP INC.
Registrar Status    clientTransferProhibited
Dates    Created on 2017-01-26 - Expires on 2018-01-26 - Updated on 2017-01-26    

Name Server(s)    DNS1.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM (has 2,163,133 domains)
DNS2.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM (has 2,163,133 domains)

IP Address    84.200.210.86 - 1 other site is hosted on this server

As pointed by the OP, it has been provided by  welshy9 who's pool ip is http://84.200.210.70/

So regarding these informations, i conclude that welshy9 is either working with cryptolife or one of their best customers.
It would be unfair if these coins are managed and created by the same guy.
EDIT: forgot to add this link who reports IP blacklisting https://webnode2.cleantalk.org/blacklists/65kfb3ug5@outlook.com
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2017, 12:48:29 PM

It's pretty pointless to tag them even if there was a substantial reason to do so. They will just come with new alts and create coins with new names. The problem is that the people who are flocking towards these coins are led by greed and not reason.

As pointed by the OP, it has been provided by  welshy9 who's pool ip is http://84.200.210.70/
So basically you're trying to say that the same person is behind all these coins, correct? This is just the standard 'pump-and-dump' scheme that has been going on for years. I would argue that an abandoned project is much different than a scam. The latter usually implies theft of coins (e.g. from a IPO) in that section. I also don't see why anyone would invest in one without at least some security (e.g. escrows).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 12:48:44 PM

That's a good catch.Speaking from my experience,the altcoin community is too naive to fall for a project if it contains the "real-faces" of the developers.Regardless of the concept and such,they receive easy funding.The scammer is probably a smart guy,it is upto the community to find out the good from the scams.
nemgun (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2017, 12:57:34 PM

It's pretty pointless to tag them even if there was a substantial reason to do so. They will just come with new alts and create coins with new names. The problem is that the people who are flocking towards these coins are led by greed and not reason.

So basically you're trying to say that the same person is behind all these coins, correct? This is just the standard 'pump-and-dump' scheme that has been going on for years. I would argue that an abandoned project is much different than a scam. The latter usually implies theft of coins (e.g. from a IPO) in that section. I also don't see why anyone would invest in one without at least some security (e.g. escrows).

Thank you for your notice, the problem is that bitcoin has risen from the darknet to clear net these last years, and such shit coins are very bad for the crypto community and the bitcoin as their reputation got even more droped and it feeds the list of cons for bitcoin.
It is sad to have always copy/paste coins without any new development behinde, even if there is no coin stealing, yet it is a waste of time, money, energy, reputation to the both forum users, and bitcoin community.

Because of these, many good projects are treated as scam, and then screwed by the community, while true scam projects or fake projects gets the attention of the crowd.

That's a good catch.Speaking from my experience,the altcoin community is too naive to fall for a project if it contains the "real-faces" of the developers.Regardless of the concept and such,they receive easy funding.The scammer is probably a smart guy,it is upto the community to find out the good from the scams.

I agree with you, especially regarding new users, and they shall be protected from such a waste, and directed to legit projects, i know that forum moderators are not the police, i did this thread to actually prevent people form engaging here, because of the waste.
OmegaSquadTeemo

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 02:54:15 PM

Pointless to tag or not, I tip my hat to you and your investigative skills. Good finds here, though I'm not sure if anybody who would be fooled by their (or his/her) scam(s) will bother to search for this thread.

I'm unfamiliar with BitcoinTalk rules. Is posting a link to a scam accusation on a "sales" thread - in this case, an altcoin thread - disallowed?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2017, 04:53:26 PM

Thank you for your notice, the problem is that bitcoin has risen from the darknet to clear net these last years, and such shit coins are very bad for the crypto community and the bitcoin as their reputation got even more droped and it feeds the list of cons for bitcoin.
The problem is much wider than what you've just described. However, that discussion is probably not suited for this thread as it will draw away the attention from the presented situation.

It is sad to have always copy/paste coins without any new development behinde, even if there is no coin stealing, yet it is a waste of time, money, energy, reputation to the both forum users, and bitcoin community.
The current Bitcointalk policy allows all of that (as long as there is no malware in the linked software). Or should I say, lack of policies?

Because of these, many good projects are treated as scam, and then screwed by the community, while true scam projects or fake projects gets the attention of the crowd.
Exactly. Generally it is just damaging to the whole ecosystem.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
nemgun (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2017, 06:37:29 PM

The problem is much wider than what you've just described. However, that discussion is probably not suited for this thread as it will draw away the attention from the presented situation.

The current Bitcointalk policy allows all of that (as long as there is no malware in the linked software). Or should I say, lack of policies?

Exactly. Generally it is just damaging to the whole ecosystem.

I have a friend on bitcointalk, spartacus, he teached me lot about the forum, but i can tell that bitcointalk policy is limited, and it is normal and not an issue, this forum has been made originally for developers and to spread the usage of bitcoin. It is normal to have scammers as today bitcoin is much bigger then before, there will always be developers over the top, but legendary accounts shall bring more support to the newbies, as the actual system may be abused especially regarding trust system and account ranking, while it depends on the dev capacities of each individual, there is no safe ecosystem but i think that high ranked accounts and staff members shall be more present in the newbie threads to show them how the forum works, and introduce them to the bitcoin world and show them how to avoid scams and abuses.

This is why i decided to conduct this investigation, and to show the newbies how to do investigations and detect scam projects using nodes, ips, sources ...

Again thank you for your interest and for sharing your opinion. and i would be interested to know more about what solutions you may offer to the bitcointalk policies and ecosystem, perhaps in annother thread.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 02, 2017, 05:06:47 AM

I guess it's a matter of where and how you want to put the word out.
And what you expect to come of it.

I have been saying for year all along that people don't care.
All people care about is "Will it make me money ?"
By "people" i mean the majority in control of the Altcoin scene.

I like your effort and off hand i bet you are right too.
I doubt most Altcoin users have even bothered to look at this forum section.
The ones that would benefit the most from it all anyway (the vulnerable)
Scammers will sure be here though waiting fro the name to come up.

I agree with the rest of what Lauda said (been saying the same pretty much for ages)
A lack of policies is a good way to put it too.
The forum was an opportunity.. often abused by us all here.

The key i think is letting people know WHY supporting worthless garbage is bad.
And WHY supporting more legit looking coins can be a benefit to them.
I try and point out how i believe the path to riches is by following your best judgement and having some integrity.
Basically the money / profits will follow if you are doing the right thing.. have patience and faith and avoid the temptation to make a quick buck with scammy bullshit.

FUD first & ask questions later™
nemgun (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2017, 10:14:20 AM

I guess it's a matter of where and how you want to put the word out.
And what you expect to come of it.

I have been saying for year all along that people don't care.
All people care about is "Will it make me money ?"
By "people" i mean the majority in control of the Altcoin scene.

I like your effort and off hand i bet you are right too.
I doubt most Altcoin users have even bothered to look at this forum section.
The ones that would benefit the most from it all anyway (the vulnerable)
Scammers will sure be here though waiting fro the name to come up.

I agree with the rest of what Lauda said (been saying the same pretty much for ages)
A lack of policies is a good way to put it too.
The forum was an opportunity.. often abused by us all here.

The key i think is letting people know WHY supporting worthless garbage is bad.
And WHY supporting more legit looking coins can be a benefit to them.
I try and point out how i believe the path to riches is by following your best judgement and having some integrity.
Basically the money / profits will follow if you are doing the right thing.. have patience and faith and avoid the temptation to make a quick buck with scammy bullshit.

Thank you for such an elaborated answer, i think that i will create a scam detection post for the newbies along with an explicative post about the negative result of garbage coins.
Now regarding the investigation i didn't wanted to go too deeply into it, as there are enough details with the IPs.

I totally agree with spoetnik about the forum abuse, but even if it is a scam, a project should at least bring some new features to the cryptocurrencies, as i said in an old thread, blackcoin did an ICO with a lot of shitcoins in icostart.com, i remeber of chilicoin, staketoken, PGC, brexitcoin ... But at least, rat4 introduced a nice innovation to the crypto world.
bumbacoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1036

View Profile
February 05, 2017, 02:11:04 AM

another scam coin seems to be virtual coin, currently "hiding" their 387,420,489 coin premine Smiley
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1751957.0

i had an amusing discussion with an Indonesian(?) person about their attempts to compile the src (which was pretty fucked up for a bit), it boiled down to them wanting to mine because of a tweet that suggested
#VirtualCoin worth $100 EACH Not selling anything below that.
https://mobile.twitter.com/PayTM_/status/827697763513020417

i wonder if something like a forum or wiki might be good for listing scam coins?

💦☔️🐳💚💖💛
go to
cryptobetfair.com
ask for a voucher

████████████████
██████████████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████
███████████
█████████
███████████
████████████
████████████
███████████
█████████████
██████████████
███████████████
████████████████
████████████████
🐠👻🍗🌳🐵
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2017, 09:28:14 PM

i wonder if something like a forum or wiki might be good for listing scam coins?

I think there have been attempts like that. Why though? Those who need it won't read it.

I can't comprehend how this whole shitcoin shitshow is still a thing in 2017. Darwinism fail.
nemgun (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2017, 03:14:12 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2017, 03:26:18 PM by nemgun

I just found a new coin released by the same guy, he is still using the same IP and this time, he made an self moderated thread : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1787705
And, he deleted my post, and he will do it again.
edit: the account he is using this time is a 2014 old account, last post made in chineese local section, three years ago, and today it posted here. takako88, is there any policy in the forum regarding bought accounts ?
findblocks.com

Activity: 515
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2017, 02:10:22 AM

So regarding these informations, i conclude that welshy9 is either working with cryptolife or one of their best customers.
EDIT: forgot to add this link who reports IP blacklisting https://webnode2.cleantalk.org/blacklists/65kfb3ug5@outlook.com

only just seen this !

I only host the pools Smiley as i do with quite a few alt coins i have nothing else to do with any coins appart from host them on my mining pool

We Do Private Pools / Block Explorers / New Coins / Send us a inbox
Findblocks Pool - http://findblocks.Net
nemgun (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2017, 10:57:41 AM

only just seen this !

I only host the pools Smiley as i do with quite a few alt coins i have nothing else to do with any coins appart from host them on my mining pool

Don't worry, i totally understand, some people on the forum do supports these coins because there would be no other way to mine, or stake more expencive coins.
The problem is just that it is annoying now, i am sure that sooner or later a new section in the forum will be created "Shitcoins announcements", it would be funny, but damn real.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: