Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 12:31:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Peter Vessenes resign as the Executive Director for Bitcoin Foundation ?
YES - 191 (72.3%)
NO - 73 (27.7%)
Total Voters: 264

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Peter Vessenes resign as the Executive Director for Bitcoin Foundation ?  (Read 24382 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:16:05 PM

I can understand Gavin is upset, as he and his associates probably receive a lot of heat he thinks is unwarranted.

But get this:

Peter Vessenes is the CEO (?) of Coinlab. He's listed as on the Coinlab exceutive team. He flew over to Japan, and negotiated with Mark and got him to give up his US and Canadian customer base, bringing it to US soil. At the same time he's the executive director of the Bitcoin Foundation, paying the paycheck of Gavin.

In an early interview, we could see Gavin burning Fiat:

I remember that was one of the earliest interviews in 2011 in a major media outlet.  Now, he's gone corporate - his paycheck is paid by Vessenes (?), and the rebel attitude has been watered down to something that's über-politically correct. On the board of the Bitcoin Foundation is at least 3 major business owners.

Now, I appreciate the job Gavin and all associates do for bitcoins, but it would be naive to think that they should be immune to criticism. Some criticism will feel unjust, some will actually be unjust, and some will be valid - that's part of the business they're in. But why should the community blindly trust that the Foundation will work for the best interest of the Bitcoin community at large, and not having business interests at the forefront of their mind.

We know Vessenes is a serial entrepreneur, and should we really think he's doing all this work out of the godness of his heart ? Flying to Japan, having MtGox handing over the majority of the customer base, and then hiring the lead developer ?

What happens the day that business interests ask Gavin to introduce certain features to the code ? Will Gavin object and leve the Foundation, or will he oblige ? At what level will the foundation (which is now a private company ?) work with governments to regulate and monitor the usage of bitcoins ?

What stops Vessenes from selling out Coinlab to the biggest bidders in two years, after all he's a serial entrepreneur and afaik never stayed very long with a single company.

I'm sure that if the bitcoin protocol were adjusted to accomodate for a developers fee, to pay the lead and perhaps a couple other devs a year, most people would not object to that, and the devs would then be more independent.

I think it's a knee jerk reaction to bring up the hater flag and call them 'Anonymous cowards' that doesn't contribute. Sure, some people are probably haters that don't contribute much, but personally I do what I can for bitcoins, and I'm not sure if I like the development that I see these days. And certainly, I don't see the problem with asking questions.

We need transparency. True, a smaller group with effective individuals gets more things done than larger groups with a lot of talkers and few doers, but I think the community has a right to ask hard questions, and we shouldn't just sit around and trust the ones running the show to always do the right things. When decisions are made behind closed doors, and we don't know what's going on, then there will be questions.

I can understand Gavin, as his intentions are probably pure, that he get's annoyed with people not trusting him. In fact everyone that uses bitcoins puts their trust in Gavin and associates. I assume Vessenes has a computer, and that he has some free time that he could use to spend on this forum, interacting with the community and answering questions. After all, he's involved rather heavily in bitcoin, and he haven't exactly been very active on the forums. Now, some people will probably come to his defense that he's busy propelling bitcoin forward and don't have time to talk to kids, trolls and haters on a lowlife internet forum. But get this, there are several highly educated, intelligent and people with all sorts of experience on this forum, people with ideas and questions.

By withdrawing himself from community discussion, he does not instill confidence. Apparently he's quite the nerd, fiddling with parameters for mining software and so on earlier on, and a large portion of the bitcoin user base is what you'd term as 'nerds', still at this stage. So if he wants to gain the trust of the community, then he should participate to a certain degree, not that he needs to live on the forums 24hrs a day, but checking in a couple of times every week, answering questions would not be a good idea. I'm aware that he's probably swamped and superbusy, but it wouldn't take that much time to chime in from time to time, even Gavin and Mark and the Bitinstant guys have time for that.

Mark Karpeles has been around in the community for a long time, and as such, he's gained the trust of the community to a large degree, even though he's received a lot of flak for the lack of scalability of the MtGox exchange in the latest months. But I trust him, and I think many others trust him as well.

Vessenes is the new guy around, and to be trusted, he needs to earn this trust, and why should he stop his 'serial entrepenurship'-mania at this point in time ? I wonder who will buy Coinlab when he goes tired of it. We never know who that's going to be, perhaps it will be one of the big law street firms with good political connections, and then you can be pretty sure there will be put leverage on Gavin and other devs to introduce certain 'features'.

The point is that even though I've admitted that the title of this thread, or the poll for that matter wasn't the best idea - it's also spurred a lot of good discussion - and it's the first time that Gavin has actually lost his cool. I can understand it from his point of view, if he views this as an unjust attack. But it shouldn't be taken personal, it's only a sign that people care about bitcoin, and when there's a new player in town, it's natural to be skeptical.

I don't like the word 'hater' as to me a 'hater' is somebody that's just negative to be negative, and really doesn't have anything constructive to say. I'm skeptical, but I'm not a hater.

But come on, the 'Trust us, leave all the important decisions to us - is the kind of attitude that made Satoshi create Bitcoin in the first place.

For example, the Bitcoin Foundation Forum should be open for reading by everybody. All expenditures should be out in the open, and all letters and official correspondence should be available for everyone to see, unless there's particular reasons not to do so. Whenever the Foundation is approached by governmental agencies, then this should be communicated to the community as well. In short - we want to see what you're doing.

Lastly I will just state that this is my opinion only, and if I used 'we' or the 'community', it's still just a way of phrasing it, and I'm not speaking for anyone else but myself, but believe it or not, I do have the benefit of the community at large as my genuine concern.

For instance, a lot of people will say that the MtGox centralization is a problem. And it's a problem because they have a dis-appropriate amount of all bitcoin trade, not because they cannot be trusted. If the foundation is asked about this, what should they do ? MtGox is funding them, how would they respond ? Yes, we will make MtGox smaller and help other exchanges out ? Do people see the conflicting interests here ? All business owners involved with the foundation, although they might love bitcoin and want to see it succeed, so do they want to have their businesses and their own wallets grow as well. Nothing wrong with that, but then you're not independent.

Thanks for listening.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 10:19:10 PM

I would just like to be treated with respect. I love this community and the idea of Bitcoin.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
Chakraball

Activity: 81
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:50:11 PM

+ 100 for Herodes last reply sums up my thoughts exactly.

To add to my last post.

Andrew Lee is the person listed as registrant of  MT. GOX NORTH AMERICA INC.

Current Entity Name:   MT. GOX NORTH AMERICA INC.
DOS ID #:   4135360
Initial DOS Filing Date:   AUGUST 26, 2011
County:   NEW YORK
Jurisdiction:   NEW YORK
Entity Type:   DOMESTIC BUSINESS CORPORATION
Current Entity Status:   ACTIVE

Selected Entity Address Information
DOS Process (Address to which DOS will mail process if accepted on behalf of the entity)
ANDREW S. LEE

From what I have seen and heard of Gavin he is 100% behind bitcoin and maybe has been a bit too trusting of certain actors in the Foundation.

With the latest development of Mtgox & Coinlab teaming up with Silicon Valley Bank no wonder they are saying "we welcome regulations", they're joining the the too big to fail team.

"Letter From Peter Vessenes"

I'm hugely excited to announce to you that CoinLab will be teaming up with Mt. Gox and Silicon Valley Bank to provide Bitcoin purchase, sale and exchange services to customers in the U.S and Canada as of May 6th, 2013.

http://coinlab.com/transition

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4606
Merit: 1276

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:55:01 PM

Thanks for listening.

I dis-agree with tone of your OP to some extent*, but I agree with every word of this entry and encourage all principles of the BCF to study it.  And to honestly try to put the shoe on the other foot and see how it fits.  Especially ~vess.

Gavin:  I have a thick skin and took nothing in your response to me personally, but I could see how others might have read things that way.  Going ~cablepair on us, or even footsteps which might appear to be in that direction will help nobody and particularly not the BCF.  (Most of my personal lack of constructive effort to further Bitcoin has to do with lack of native ability, but it is also the case that I wish to retain the ability to latitude to be a prick when I feel so inclined.)

(*) I happen to agree with ~vess's "“We’d be happy to be regulated,” statement.  THE main beef I have with things is that it is highly important to me philosophically and financially that if 'we' are no longer happy to be regulated for whatever reason, it remains in 'our' control to abandon that policy.  That is THE reason why I am staunchly in favor of retaining a highly difuse and dispurse operational infrastructure even if it comes at the expense of facilitating street-level transactions (and sky high BTC valuations and a wealthy ~tvbcof in the mid-term.)  Again, though, you do the work and you make the call.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4606
Merit: 1276

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:56:56 PM

Thanks for listening.

I dis-agree with tone of your OP to some extent*, but I agree with every word of this entry and encourage all principles of the BCF to study it.  And to honestly try to put the shoe on the other foot and see how it fits.  Especially ~vess.

Gavin:  I have a thick skin and took nothing in your response to me personally, but I could see how others might have read things that way.  Going ~cablepair on us, or even footsteps which might appear to be in that direction will help nobody and particularly not the BCF.  (Most of my personal lack of constructive effort to further Bitcoin has to do with lack of native ability, but it is also the case that I wish to retain the latitude to be a prick when I feel so inclined.)

(*) I happen to agree with ~vess's "“We’d be happy to be regulated,” statement.  THE main beef I have with things is that it is highly important to me philosophically and financially that if 'we' are no longer happy to be regulated for whatever reason, it remains in 'our' control to abandon that policy.  That is THE reason why I am staunchly in favor of retaining a highly difuse and dispurse operational infrastructure even if it comes at the expense of facilitating street-level transactions (and sky high BTC valuations and a wealthy ~tvbcof in the mid-term.)  Again, though, you do the work and you make the call.

Edit: drop a mis-placed word. - sorry for the double-post.  Hit quote instead of edit.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 10:59:48 PM

From what I have seen and heard of Gavin he is 100% behind bitcoin and maybe has been a bit too trusting of certain actors in the Foundation.

With the latest development of Mtgox & Coinlab teaming up with Silicon Valley Bank no wonder they are saying "we welcome regulations", they're joining the the too big to fail team.

Gavin is a developer not the leader- if there ever could be- of bitcoin. He is being paid, and rightfully so, to do groundbreaking work with a small staff and without the authority to enforce a unified vision. That's hard and I'm proud that he has been able to accomplish so much in such a short period of time.

We need to be concurrently focusing on three things guys.

(1) The integration of Bitcoin into the Mainstream as a legitimate and easy to use currency
(2) Convincing large companies like Google, Paypal and Amazon to support bitcoin
(3) Unifying the community around an educational project to ensure all misconceptions, misinformation and general ignorance are removed from the conversation

Doing these three things will guarantee bitcoin never dies nor is regulated out of existence. But you know what it has become clear to me that I don't matter in the foundation's eyes. They want to pursue other things and it's their money so have fun. I'm going to take on the educational project and if anyone wants to join me the door is wide open. We need you.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 11:00:58 PM

I would just like to be treated with respect. I love this community and the idea of Bitcoin.

It'd be easier to give you respect if you weren't lying about your identity and constantly telling people that if they aren't part of your "educational organization" then they will become "obsolete". Try being honest and humble for once. It does wonders for the soul.

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 11:03:22 PM

It's be easier to give you respect if you weren't lying about your identity and constantly telling people that if they aren't part of your "educational organization" then they will become "obsolete". Try being honest and humble for once. It does wonders for the soul.

My identity? My bio has been posted for all to see. Who do you think I am?

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2222

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 11:04:48 PM

Perhaps you could explain why the Foundation was originally registered in Carmel IN and is now defunct.

Current Information
Entity Legal Name:
BITCOIN FOUNDATION INC.
Entity Type: Non-Profit Domestic Corporation

Entity Creation Date: 9/13/2011
Entity Date to Expire:
Entity Inactive Date: 3/28/2013

Also would you care to explain why two men, Andrew Lee and Steve Deprospero, both with affiliations to MtGox are listed as agent and principles in the corporate entry?

Continuing with the transparency theme,

Maybe you could shed some light on the new Foundation registered in Seattle WA and known as THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC. DBA THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION

Why is a wedding photographer named Daryl Garmon listed as Special Address Information using a Seattle PO Box?

Special Address Information
Address   PO Box 31671
City   Seattle
State   WA
Zip   98103

Let me guess, you think 9/11 was an inside job by the Bush administration and we never sent a man to the moon?

This is exactly why I don't come here much any more, and exactly why the Foundation forums are real-name-only, member-only.  None of us have time to respond to all the tinfoil-hat-wearing conspiracy-mongering (I don't remember why "Bitcoin Foundation" was originally a legal entity in the midwest; something about an aborted previous attempt to get one started by... maybe Mt. Gox?  who cares? why does that matter? focus on the present and future, stop worrying about how things weren't done perfectly in the past exactly how you wanted them to happen).

Sigh.  Ok, I'm going to go back to my default "don't feed the trolls" now, and actually get some work done.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 11:09:26 PM

It's be easier to give you respect if you weren't lying about your identity and constantly telling people that if they aren't part of your "educational organization" then they will become "obsolete". Try being honest and humble for once. It does wonders for the soul.

My identity? My bio has been posted for all to see. Who do you think I am?
It was a tongue in cheek in reference to "Head of the Bitcoin Education Project". Seriously though, every other time I see you post it's about how no one matters anymore unless they sign up for your udemy videos.

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 11:16:47 PM

It was a tongue in cheek in reference to "Head of the Bitcoin Education Project". Seriously though, every other time I see you post it's about how no one matters anymore unless they sign up for your udemy videos.

The project already has seven contributors making video lectures and also several core devs offering to help review the upcoming lectures on their wallet software. I'm building a website for the project and I'm trying to recruit volunteer members to continue the work. It just got started on Saturday last week. About 400 people signed up for those lectures. That's pretty good progress for a week.

Yes I do believe that if this takes off those outside of it will become irrelevant because a larger and larger percentage of the bitcoin world will have started at that class. Omission can reduce ones standing. But guess what, unlike the foundation, this project is free and open to all. Anyone can contribute. Anyone can help make or vet content. Including you, in fact I'd like you to help.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 11:20:18 PM

But guess what, unlike the foundation, this project is free and open to all.
Why not compare yourself to something else free and open? Like the thousands of youtube videos that already exist? Will you make those videos obsolete?

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 11:30:28 PM

Why not compare yourself to something else free and open? Like the thousands of youtube videos that already exist? Will you make those videos obsolete?

Yes and no. The issue with any single video is that either it is too brief and doesn't explain concepts like value or anonymity in depth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um63OQz3bjo or they are biased in a direction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoK8HXMSsNg

Also there is no overarching narrative promising the listener if they commit, then they will end up with some set of knowledge. The goal of the core lecture path is to be a contract with the student that they can both understand basic concepts like why bitcoins have value and how to spend them, but also understand more advanced concepts if they desire like the security concepts of bitcoin, mining and the inner workings of the wallet clients.

Over time this will become a perfect foundation alongside bitcoin.it and bitcoin.stackexchange for anyone who starts with no knowledge and wants to fully integrate himself into the community at whatever level he is comfortable with. We just don't have this Matt. Look at codeacademy.com. In a few years that site will be the starting point for all wannabe web developers. This course seeks to do the same for bitcoin.

Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 12:45:57 AM

Let me guess, you think 9/11 was an inside job by the Bush administration and we never sent a man to the moon?

...focus on the present and future, stop worrying about how things weren't done perfectly in the past exactly how you wanted them to happen).

Gavin, a simple mailing address on the contact form would put my fears to rest:

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/contact

I sent you all 25 bitcoins to be a lifetime member. I'm glad I paid to support your work, but in retrospect, I wish I had just sent you some bitcoins instead of to the people signing your paycheck.

If the Bitcoin Foundation can't see fit to have a mailing address associated with their name, I'll continue to counsel people to hold onto their bitcoins instead of donating them to the foundation or to just send some btc as donations to individual developers.

Lack of a physical address makes the foundation looks sketchy and casting aspersions on people who wonder why it seems so sketchy is counter-productive.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 01:17:53 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5VC58gjnjY Leave the internet alone  Angry

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3274

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 01:23:50 AM

All this conspiracy theory talk is off-topic. This thread is a discussion about Peter Vessenes' opinion that Bitcoin should be regulated.

Personally, I think that if the Bitcoin Foundation is going to promote the idea of regulating Bitcoin, then it is not an organization that I'm comfortable supporting.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 01:25:21 AM

All this conspiracy theory talk is off-topic. This thread is a discussion about Peter Vessenes' opinion that Bitcoin should be regulated.

Personally, I think that if the Bitcoin Foundation is going to promote the idea of regulating Bitcoin, then it is not an organization that I'm comfortable supporting.

I agree completely

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 01:40:42 AM

As for regulation, obviously there is going to be some regulation.  If you just want to say there should be no regulation then that would be waste of time and you will probably end up with more regulation.  The regulators will just say "look at all these people trying to avoid regulation, we need to crack down!"  So what else is a foundation supposed to say?

They should take a proactive role in suggesting where the regulation should be and lobbying legislation when it comes up. They should also start a dialogue with the membership to discuss regulation and how it impacts them....Oh wait

Quote from: charleshoskinson on April 27, 2013, 07:33:07 PM
Gavin did you guys send out an email to all foundation members soliciting feedback for the agenda?

I'm allergic to that kind of bureaucracy. The agenda will probably be decided ten minutes before the meeting, and will probably be something like "Peter talks for ten minutes and answers questions for 20 minutes while everybody is eating. Then we all talk to each other about whatever we like."

One day maybe the Foundation will be big and bloated, and will have lots of staff to prepare Official Agendas, solicit feedback from members months in advance, tabulate the responses, then hire a consultant to figure out how to increase the number of responses received, etc.

I hope I'm not on the Board any more when that happens.

Yeah...guess that one isn't happening....

Chakraball

Activity: 81
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 12:04:55 PM

Yes this thread is a discussion about Peter Vessenes, you can call it conspiracy theory but I see lack of transparency and possibility of conflict of interest.

Peter Vessenes is Executive Director, Chairman of the Board, and Treasurer of the Bitcoin Foundation.
He is also the CEO of Coinlab and teamed up with Mark Karpeles of MtGox

The Foundation is registered at the same address as Coinlab.

THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC. DBA THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION - http://www.sos.wa.gov/corps/search_detail.aspx?ubi=603279667
Coinlab Inc - http://www.sos.wa.gov/corps/search_detail.aspx?ubi=603158383

Gavin first mooted the idea of a foundation on October 25 2011 here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49841.0

Yet Peter Vessenes registered the domain BitCoinFoundation.org almost twelve months earlier at the address of Coinlab

Domain Name:BITCOINFOUNDATION.ORG
Created On:06-Dec-2010 21:40:58 UTC
Last Updated On:11-Jan-2013 07:01:39 UTC
Expiration Date:06-Dec-2021 21:40:58 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:1API GmbH (R1724-LROR)
Registrant ID:PVB13589495-DUYX
Registrant Name:Peter Vessenes
Registrant Organization:Bitcoin Foundation
Registrant Street1:Suite 300, 71 Columbia St

http://whois.domaintools.com/bitcoinfoundation.org

Some call it conspiracy theory, Gavin called it "tinfoil-hat-wearing conspiracy-mongering"

I call BS
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 12:37:23 PM

Some call it conspiracy theory, Gavin called it "tinfoil-hat-wearing conspiracy-mongering"

I don't know Gavin personally, but I know of a lot of people that would give up some liberty and independence for a steady paycheck. Vessenes provides that for him.

And what better method than cornering the market is there than approaching the biggest player and 'take over' their business ?

We must be incredibly naive if we think that major business players enter the market for any other reason that serving their own business interests. I don't say that all businesses are purely motivated by financial gains, but take that element away, and most players will obviously withdraw from the scene.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: