Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:30:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Peter Vessenes resign as the Executive Director for Bitcoin Foundation ?
YES - 191 (72.3%)
NO - 73 (27.7%)
Total Voters: 264

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Peter Vessenes resign as the Executive Director for Bitcoin Foundation ?  (Read 24382 times)
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 09:22:03 AM

Governments cant regulate mathematics, which is the basis of bitcoin. Its like trying to regulate gravity.

They can't "regulate gravity" but they can pretty much forbid you to skydive for example.

We should not be so arrogant. Governments can be dangerous to Bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AlgoSwan

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

ancap

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 09:23:32 AM

Core ideas of BTC implementation should be carefully analysed. Regulation is a tricky word when it is used with lobbying. These people don't understand exactly what the revolution, innovation and math of course. If anything should be regulated on BTC markets, it is fiat itself. Remove it, problem solved almost instantly.

Looking to buy a verified betfair account with escrow.
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 09:26:59 AM

2. The client code is controlled by central authority. Does anyone check the source code and compile it by hand before using it?

I've thought of creating a site that will constantly check the official downloads for any nefarious changes and report if anything is found, but at the moment I'm working on another project, so it would have to wait. But I think if there was anything nefarious going on, that it would be spotted by some devs ?

But true - what could we do if the official software was in fact changed containing something most people would not approve of. I hope it never comes to that..
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 09:30:21 AM

My problem is not what this guy does with his own business.  If you're going to interface with U.S. banks, you're going to have to submit to some degree of regulation.  My concern is that this guy appears to be in some position to make decisions for the rest of the users, who may just want to stay away from banks in general.  Why should someone with this conflict of interest have any authority? 

As for the fork problem, people went along with that solution because it worked a lot more quickly than any other solution would have.

I certainly don't expect anyone running a Bitcoin business to sacrifice their livelihood for some bullshit idea of ideological purity.  However, I'm not sure someone running such a business should be telling anyone else what to do.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:20:16 AM

How do we know that's what he really believes?  

This is part of the problem. We don't.

And from what I have seen, I haven't been impressed.

We need someone more visible, articulate, and more of a leader.

He's already admitted he's open to someone else taking over the directorship of the foundation. That's not a good start.
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:23:00 AM

He's already admitted he's open to someone else taking over the directorship of the foundation. That's not a good start.

What about the BitPay guy, still a bitcoin business person, but the presentations I've seen from him are of very high quality:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=160131.msg1702464#msg1702464

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 11:33:11 AM
Last edit: April 16, 2013, 12:33:07 PM by marcus_of_augustus

What power does the BCF have that prevents everyone from just ignoring it?

They pay the wages of the lead dev. Gavin Andresen, so in that sense they have some "power" I suppose.

But for the rest of us "market anarchist dilletantes", we are free to ignore Vesseness's pleas to subjugation.

I'm interested to see what Jon Matonis has to say, AFAIK he is still on the board of the BF, and has been stridently anti-regulation and damning of those who invite it in the past.

Maybe Vesseness is just running his yap off and speaking out of turn in an attempt to calm the troubled bitcoin waters, like some kind of messiah figure or something?

Herodes (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:19:02 PM

But for the rest of us "market anarchists dillentantes", we are free to ignore Vesseness's pleas to subjugation.

For the record: A dilettante is a person who enjoys the arts or someone who engages in a field as an amateur out of casual interest rather than as a profession.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:27:03 PM

But for the rest of us "market anarchists dillentantes", we are free to ignore Vesseness's pleas to subjugation.

For the record: A dilettante is a person who enjoys the arts or someone who engages in a field as an amateur out of casual interest rather than as a profession.

Like a lawyer or business analyst who dabbles in cryptography .... but probably wants someone else to secure his bitcoins might be a good example I imagine?

Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:29:15 PM

Governments can be dangerous to Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is far more dangerous to the powers that be than they are to Bitcoin.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:45:25 PM

“Right now you have a bunch of anarchistic market dilettantes who don’t understand how markets work and don’t understand the perils of markets,” he said. “People who understand markets need to get involved.”

The most important is to understand the recent crash, is it purely based on psychology/market behavior or manipulated by some large players? I think the latter is more likely, since they start the DDOS at the same time as mass sell off

For a small exchange and such low market capital, it is very easy to manipulate

tionil

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:48:53 PM

Bitcoin foundation should resign from Bitcoin.
w1R903

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 01:04:40 PM

No.  In popular speech, "dilettante" refers to someone who flits from field to field, never acquiring anything more than superficial knowledge of a given subject.  It's typically used pejoratively.  A "dilettante" originally referred to an admirer of the arts, but hasn't been used in that manner since the 18th century.

If you have any doubt as to how the word is used in today's world, google the phrase "he's a dilettante"  (with quotes) and see what comes up.

4096R/F5EA0017
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 01:25:35 PM

If there is some sort of internal regulation right in the Bitcoin protocol, or anything similar, I won't upgrade to the new protocol.  Bitcoin needs no regulation.  Bitcoin is the currency of Economic Freedom.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 01:46:26 PM

Bitcoin foundation should resign from Bitcoin.

This.

There are other ways to pay Gavin.

Bitcoin does not need lobbying and marketing crap from the TBF. TBF only serves as a entrance gate for regulation and centralization.

Vessenes should fix his crappy exchange and otherwise STFU, 'cause he hasn't been elected to speak for the BTC community.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 01:59:19 PM

What about the BitPay guy, still a bitcoin business person, but the presentations I've seen from him are of very high quality:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=160131.msg1702464#msg1702464

Galippi would be perfect.
mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 02:23:00 PM

Governments cant regulate mathematics, which is the basis of bitcoin. Its like trying to regulate gravity.

They can't "regulate gravity" but they can pretty much forbid you to skydive for example.

We should not be so arrogant. Governments can be dangerous to Bitcoin.

Any structure of power can be dangerous, even bitcoin can be dangerous.
So this is far from a simple decision.

On the one hand we cannot trust individuals or organsisations to act in the best interest of everybody, on the other hand we have to fix that with overarching control structures which also can act in their own interest.
The trick is, i think, to decide in a democratic way what we expect of a thing like bitcoin and have that protected in some way.
For now, i'm not sure there is a consensus about what bitcoin is to society so it's going to be very difficult to even start thinking about how to regulate it in a non-destructive way.
WikileaksDude

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:55:19 PM

Speaking of which, it's too bad we don't have a project leader with the kind of balls Linus has.

I remember Gavin Andresen setting dollar bills on fire in an early interview. Apart from that, he's the epitome of political correctness. (Just waiting for Gavin to pop in with his two cents - as he has a magical ability to spot whenever his name is mentioned on the forum. Wink)

This.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 05:02:51 PM

I suggest a sister poll: I can vote because I'm a Foundation member: y/n

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
DeeSome

Activity: 378

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:14:36 PM

Try flying a hot air balloon over the White House.  Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: