Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 01:43:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Peter Vessenes resign as the Executive Director for Bitcoin Foundation ?
YES - 191 (72.3%)
NO - 73 (27.7%)
Total Voters: 264

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Peter Vessenes resign as the Executive Director for Bitcoin Foundation ?  (Read 24382 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:50:19 AM

We’d be happy to be regulated,” said Vessenes

I hate regulations but I believe bitcoin would be more stable if somebody could regulate it

What do you mean by more stable, and how would it be regulated. Do you mean that for example the US Govt should start the printing press, and inject dollars in the exchanges, and run bots to keep the exchange rate stable ?

Don't you think the exchange rate will become stable when the market cap grows and become bigger ?
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:58:35 AM

Don't you think the exchange rate will become stable when the market cap grows and become bigger ?

Bitcoin barely has its wings yet and its so-called proponents are already calling for regulation. I never trust a man that brown noses the government in order to further his own interests in a new technology.

I think there's plenty of members in the community that could contribute equally or better that doesn't have millions of dollars on their bank accounts.

I'd like to see more coders and fewer business interests on the board.
aurora

Activity: 158
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 05:00:05 AM

I hate regulations but I believe bitcoin would be more stable if somebody could regulate it

What do you mean by more stable, and how would it be regulated. Do you mean that for example the US Govt should start the printing press, and inject dollars in the exchanges, and run bots to keep the exchange rate stable ?

well, i'm looking at this from merchant point of view. I need stable rate so I dont have to worry about selling coins every hour. As long as soft  regulates coins it will always be what it is today. It will never go mainstream  the way it is now. I'm not sure how it needs to be regulated but I think it needs human input just like US gov does to market

Dym.game
Double your money. Use Martingale/anti strategies. 1 to 1 odds
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 05:02:02 AM

well, i'm looking at this from merchant point of view. I need stable rate so I dont have to worry about selling coins every hour. As long as soft  regulates coins it will always be what it is today. It will never go mainstream  the way it is now. I'm not sure how it needs to be regulated but I think it needs human input just like US gov does to market

Bitpay allows people to pay with bitcoins and you can either keep it in bitcoins or get the dollar rate at that time. Why would you have to worry about the rate?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Severian

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:02:13 AM

well, i'm looking at this from merchant point of view. I need stable rate so I dont have to worry about selling coins every hour.  

Use Bitpay when it's unstable. They exist to minimize exposure to volatility. It's part of their business plan, as I understand it.
aurora

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 05:04:44 AM

market cap doesn mean anything. Rate will be stable when people trust bitcoin. But who's gonna trust some buggy soft?

Dym.game
aurora

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 05:09:11 AM

Use Bitpay when it's unstable. They exist to minimize exposure to volatility. It's part of their business plan, as I understand it.
bitpay wants 3% to transfer btc to usd. I pay 2.75% for credit cards. Plus, if btc dropping you're not getting full amount with bitpay. Think about this: you made purchase for btc. If btc dropping fast by the time transaction is confirmed I can loose most of my profit

Dym.game
Severian

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:10:40 AM

But who's gonna trust some buggy soft?

Did you find something that Dan Kaminsky missed?
Severian

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:12:07 AM

If btc dropping fast by the time transaction is confirmed I can loose most of my profit

You should talk to the people that run the biggest exchange in Bitcoin about the price and their relation to its recent fall.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:12:14 AM

bitpay wants 3% to transfer btc to usd.
0.99%
Plus, if btc dropping you're not getting full amount with bitpay. Think about this: you made purchase for btc. If btc dropping fast by the time transaction is confirmed I can loose most of my profit
That's the exact opposite of what happens.
aurora

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 05:16:00 AM

0.99%
Plus, if btc dropping you're not getting full amount with bitpay. Think about this: you made purchase for btc. If btc dropping fast by the time transaction is confirmed I can loose most of my profit
bitpay charges 0.99% to put btc to your account and 3% to convert it to  usd

Dym.game
aurora

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 05:17:59 AM

If btc dropping fast by the time transaction is confirmed I can loose most of my profit

You should talk to the people that run the biggest exchange in Bitcoin about the price and their relation to its recent fall.
thats exactly my point: as long as mtgox not regulated they can do whatever they want.

Dym.game
Severian

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:19:01 AM

You should probably stick to fiat then. It doesn't sound like Bitcoin is for you.
Severian

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:20:11 AM

thats exactly my point: as long as mtgox not regulated they can do whatever they want.

gox needs to be regulated by the existence of other exchanges. Government regulation works in favor of the government, not Bitcoin.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:21:37 AM

0.99%
Better check your sources again.

While you're at it, read up on what actually happens with the currency conversion rates.
aurora

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 05:24:08 AM

gox needs to be regulated by the existence of other exchanges. Government regulation works in favor of the government, not Bitcoin.
other exchanges exist but does it help?

Dym.game
Severian

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:29:03 AM

other exchanges exist but does it help?

We're still early in the game. There are other exchanges being developed and coming online. At some point, one of them will be an improvement over what we have now.

I tend to trust in the market over the government to solve problems. I'm one of those "market anarchistics" that Peter derides. He appears to trust government over markets, perhaps because he wants government to protect his position.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 05:31:31 AM

How do we know that's what he really believes?  I'm not doubting it, but when someone speaks in their official capacity in a manner consistent with that capacity, I don't automatically equate it with being their true-to-heart personal opinion, especially when that capacity happens to be that of a lawyer, somebody purposefully trained to articulate a position with which they don't necessarily agree personally.  The notion that he "derides" somebody is really indeterminable from a statement like this, and so is any assessment as to what trust he places in governments.

Bitcoin needs more legal talent looking out for it, not less.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
marketermac

Activity: 65

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:32:10 AM

This is absolutely wrong.

I have been using bitpay for the last few weeks and never paid more then the promised .99% fee (even when converting to USD). I have processed about $530 in USD transactions and paid $5.24 in fee's total.

https://bitpay.com/pricing
Severian

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:36:29 AM

How do we know that's what he really believes?  I'm not doubting it, but when someone speaks in their official capacity in a manner consistent with that capacity, I don't automatically equate it with being their true-to-heart personal opinion.  The notion that he "derides" somebody is really indeterminable from a statement like this.

This is scorn and derision, from a professional or a personal view:

"Right now you have a bunch of anarchistic market dilettantes who don’t understand how markets work and don’t understand the perils of markets"

This is the position of someone that trusts government, otherwise known as force and fraud, over markets. Markets are cooperative and competitive, things that government isn't and Bitcoin is.

This is the line with Bitcoin: do we trust the old model of force or the model that Bitcoin now makes possible?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: