Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:55:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Newly minted idiot  (Read 8549 times)
Synaptic (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 10:51:02 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/i0r4o/ready_for_a_little_casual_mining/

What a poor sap...judging by the time this was posted, this is likely a delivery to someone who went all-in and ordered everything when they saw BTC at $30.

Hopefully this isn't some dipshit with a wife and kid(s)...cause this fuck-face is in for a rude awakening in about 15 days, lol.
Isepick

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 11:27:49 AM

What a perfect illustration of the Tragedy of the Commons.
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 11:29:49 AM

I'm sure he can make a profit. I'm jealous.
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 11:35:40 AM

How?

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
Gladiator

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 11:45:10 AM

If you haven't noticed all cards are 5770... Which you can get dirt cheap. Smart investment.
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 03:13:34 PM

Saw the picture last night...

I'd hope he got everything on a discount.  I'll reserve my judgement until it's known what he paid for all of that.  with the priced of used 5770's, I would hope you'd be getting them @$60 or so each if you're buying quantity like that.

They are however decent hash / power consumption.

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 03:22:37 PM

Saw the picture last night...

I'd hope he got everything on a discount.  I'll reserve my judgement until it's known what he paid for all of that.  with the priced of used 5770's, I would hope you'd be getting them @$60 or so each if you're buying quantity like that.

They are however decent hash / power consumption.

Nothing there appeared to be used goods.

In all likely-hood everything there, including the rented office space, was paid for on credit/loan(s). I have a hard time imagining anyone with that kind of disposable income (unless it's some bored rich young man) wasting it on such a speculative venture...

Even at the very lowest end that easily $10k worth of gear there, plus rent, plus electricity.  Everything here (yes, it's just a picture, but knowing what we do of bitcoining so far we can make pretty damn good assumptions) points to this being someone who supposes they can make a business out of this.

I just hope he doesn't have a family, or has a shitload of disposable income and a hell of a lot of otherwise worthless free time to kill.
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 03:24:06 PM

In the long run, the profitability of mining doesn't depend on the price of BTC.  It depends on whether you can mine a Ghash cheaper than the competition.

and what's gonna happen in 15 days, oh prophet?  Smiley

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 03:28:12 PM

$10k worth of gear is quite cheap lol

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Isepick

Activity: 180

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:19:06 PM

How?

A new farmer to the commons not adding a couple of cows, but an entire herd of them. In two weeks the commons will be that much harder to utilize for everyone. It is advantageous for each miner to add as many video cards as possible, but in so doing they make the difficulty increase, thus causing diminishing returns on everybody's cards and requiring more cards to keep the same level of income, causing a higher difficulty, etc etc. Unless price moves substantially, in a couple of months the difficulty will be so high that many will be mining at a loss. But that is how the game goes.

With the current difficulty progression, at best I am going to make *maybe* 200 more bitcoins in the next 3 months...and I am pushing 6 GHash/s.
NetTecture

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:37:15 PM

In all likely-hood everything there, including the rented office space, was paid for on credit/loan(s). I have a hard time imagining anyone with that kind of disposable income (unless it's some bored rich young man) wasting it on such a speculative venture...

Even at the very lowest end that easily $10k worth of gear there, plus rent, plus electricity.  Everything here (yes, it's just a picture, but knowing what we do of bitcoining so far we can make pretty damn good assumptions) points to this being someone who supposes they can make a business out of this.

I just hope he doesn't have a family, or has a shitload of disposable income and a hell of a lot of otherwise worthless free time to kill.

Why? Seriously. USD 10k worth of goods + some thousands operating costs is about my ticket for "lets try it out". Defined by not hurting me - the amount that makes me mad for wasting some money, but nothing that I remember after half a year.

Not everyone has a disposable income of a mcDonalds worker. There are those of us that would take 15000 USD from a credit card to finance something like that - and then pay out back next month totally from their post tax income. Seriously. It is not that much money. And it could be worth it.
Synaptic (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:44:06 PM

Why? Seriously. USD 10k worth of goods + some thousands operating costs is about my ticket for "lets try it out". Defined by not hurting me - the amount that makes me mad for wasting some money, but nothing that I remember after half a year.

Not everyone has a disposable income of a mcDonalds worker. There are those of us that would take 15000 USD from a credit card to finance something like that - and then pay out back next month totally from their post tax income. Seriously. It is not that much money. And it could be worth it.

That is again assuming that he got all that stuff at distributor pricing. If he paid retail it will be significantly more.
n0m4d

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:55:53 PM

How?

Hint: narrowly define "Commons".

This is economics, not a Tragedy.  The miners chase the Red Queen -- it's not like they don't know the game's rules beforehand.
meighty

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 08:02:10 PM

I think the key for mining is making back your investment as fast as possible while the BTC is still trading at a fair price and the difficultly isn't too high. Once you make your hardware cost back, everything past that (assuming you aren't paying a ton for power) is just profit. And even if the market did crash and bitcoin had an epic fail, you'd still be sitting on a ton of used gear which you'd be able to sell for even more profit.

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 08:45:44 PM

Synaptic, I've been following your posts and threads over the past few days and I've observed that (1) you've got some reasonable things to say, and (2) that you say them with astonishing douchebaggery.  Chill out.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 09:20:21 PM

And you care that someone might be wasting their money.... why?

Besides, he could likely resell all of that hardware for 75% of what he bought it for in the coming months.  As long as he can regain the 25% lost on depreciation in bitcoins (which should only take a matter of days), he won't be out any money if it all comes crashing down.
BubbleBoy

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 09:26:04 PM

A new farmer to the commons not adding a couple of cows, but an entire herd of them. In two weeks the commons will be that much harder to utilize for everyone. It is advantageous for each miner to add as many video cards as possible, but in so doing they make the difficulty increase, thus causing diminishing returns on everybody's cards and requiring more cards to keep the same level of income, causing a higher difficulty, etc etc. Unless price moves substantially, in a couple of months the difficulty will be so high that many will be mining at a loss. But that is how the game goes.

That's not a tragedy of the commons, it's called competition. The total bounty of (50 coins + fees)/block does not decrease, it's only spread thinner, so that the less competitive miners die out. If anything, more miners means a more stable network, more users, therefore more fees.

A real tragedy of the commons is this: every guy brings more cows up to the point were there's overgrazing, no time for grass to recover and grow, and the total utility of the grazing land goes down temporarily or permanently, even to zero in the event of desertification. So maximizing the individual utility has diminished or destroyed the global utility of the shared resource.

████
              ▄▄████▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
     ▄████▀▀            ▀▀████▄
   ▄████▀                  ▀████▄
  ▐███▀                      ▀███▌
 ▐███▀   ████▄  ████  ▄████   ▀███▌
 ████    █████▄ ████ ▄█████    ████
▐███▌    ██████▄████▄██████    ▐███▌
████     ██████████████████     ████
████     ████ ████████ ████     ████
████     ████  ██████  ████     ████
▐███▌    ████   ████   ████    ▐███▌
 ████    ████   ████   ████    ████
 ▐███▄   ████   ████   ████   ▄███▌
  ▐███▄                      ▄███▌
   ▀████▄                  ▄████▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀████▀▀
                ████
MIDEX
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ GET TOKENS ▂▂▂▂
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
BLOCKCHAIN BASED FINANCIAL PLATFORM                                # WEB ANN + Bounty <
with Licensed Exchange approved by Swiss Bankers and Lawyers           > Telegram Facebook Twitter Blog #
CydeWeys

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 12:16:44 AM

How?

With the current difficulty progression, at best I am going to make *maybe* 200 more bitcoins in the next 3 months...and I am pushing 6 GHash/s.

The reason it's not a tragedy of the commons is because it's good for Bitcoin.  The more network hashing power Bitcoin has, the more secure the network is, and thus the more viable and safe Bitcoin is.  It's only a "tragedy" if you look at it from the miners' perspective.  If you actually care about all of the other aspects to Bitcoin besides making a quick buck off mining, then the network growing in size is a great thing.
datguywhowanders

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 12:28:25 AM

Synaptic, I've been following your posts and threads over the past few days and I've observed that (1) you've got some reasonable things to say, and (2) that you say them with astonishing douchebaggery.  Chill out.

+1

I still have to go write up a response to his "logical" discussion of bitcoin.

Donations Welcome: 163id7T8KZ6MevqT86DjrBF2kfCPrQsfZE
datguywhowanders

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 12:29:20 AM

That's not a tragedy of the commons, it's called competition. The total bounty of (50 coins + fees)/block does not decrease, it's only spread thinner, so that the less competitive miners die out. If anything, more miners means a more stable network, more users, therefore more fees.

A real tragedy of the commons is this: every guy brings more cows up to the point were there's overgrazing, no time for grass to recover and grow, and the total utility of the grazing land goes down temporarily or permanently, even to zero in the event of desertification. So maximizing the individual utility has diminished or destroyed the global utility of the shared resource.

Thanks for giving the textbook definition there.

Donations Welcome: 163id7T8KZ6MevqT86DjrBF2kfCPrQsfZE
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: