Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:57:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dummy Plugs  (Read 7675 times)
redmist (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 07:48:40 PM

Just need to clarify something.
I'm getting this error when I run my cgminer:
ADL found less devices than opencl
There is possibly more than one display attached to a gpu
I'm pretty sure this error is causing cgminer to not show any temp/overclocking monitoring (which kind of sucks :/ )
So am I right i thinking that to get rid of this error all I need to do is make a dummy plug and stick it in the back of one of my gpu's? Or do I need three dummy plugs, one for each of my gpus?

By the way, I access my miner through remote desktop.
Oh, and yesterday for some reason whilst I was accessing it through team viewer on my phone, the temp monitoring came back for about an hour. And now its gone again Sad
Cheers guys
-redmist

BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Protagonus

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 08:49:02 PM

Ye, I would try a dummy on the GPU's not running a monitor.  It seems some people have to run dummies and others don't.  Sometimes dummies help Hash a bit I've people say too. 

For me, I have not yet needed a dummy (2 gpu) and both mine; however windows does not recognize the 2nd GPU without the dummy.  So, I assume this is where some issues arise without one.
redmist (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 09:02:48 PM

Ye, I would try a dummy on the GPU's not running a monitor.  It seems some people have to run dummies and others don't.  Sometimes dummies help Hash a bit I've people say too. 

For me, I have not yet needed a dummy (2 gpu) and both mine; however windows does not recognize the 2nd GPU without the dummy.  So, I assume this is where some issues arise without one.
Ok cheers for the info. Although it's weird, windows detects all three gpus, and cgminer mines with all 3, just no temp monitoring :/
So I'm not sure I completely understand. I might only need one dummy plug, but I could need one for each gpu?
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 11:05:24 PM

Trying to use RDP to monitor a rig causes problems.  On my machines it crash's the GPU's altogether.  Your lucky that it only stops ADL.

I have heard Teamviewer, VNC and TinyVNC are all good alternatives.  I'm a fan of dummy plugs too.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
redmist (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:18:19 AM

Trying to use RDP to monitor a rig causes problems.  On my machines it crash's the GPU's altogether.  Your lucky that it only stops ADL.

I have heard Teamviewer, VNC and TinyVNC are all good alternatives.  I'm a fan of dummy plugs too.
Sam

Sorry I should have clarified, I'm not really using RDP anymore, since teamviewer is more user friendly. I'm also using something called CoRD for when I want to connect to it from my mac. No problems with it so far.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 09:39:13 AM

Sam

Sorry I should have clarified, I'm not really using RDP anymore, since teamviewer is more user friendly. I'm also using something called CoRD for when I want to connect to it from my mac. No problems with it so far.

Sounds good.

So, are you still getting this error?

>> ADL found less devices than opencl
>> There is possibly more than one display attached to a gpu

Have you tried the dummy plug(s) yet?  If so please post some feedback to let us know one way or the other.
Sam

redmist (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 09:43:15 AM

Sounds good.

Have you tried the dummy plug(s) yet?  If so please post some feedback to let us know one way or the other.
Sam

Yeah I'm still getting the error :/ I'm definitely gonna try dummy plugs because I think this error is stopping me from using afterburner as well. It just doesn't seem to detect the gpu's. Not really sure how to make one. Do I just need 1 75 ohm resistor for each card?
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 09:50:57 AM

Sounds good.

Sam

Yeah I'm still getting the error :/ I'm definitely gonna try dummy plugs because I think this error is stopping me from using afterburner as well. It just doesn't seem to detect the gpu's. Not really sure how to make one. Do I just need 1 75 ohm resistor for each card?

You need 3 for each one.  Here is a tutorial

http://www.overclock.net/t/384733/the-30-second-dummy-plug

Sam

Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 01:17:31 PM

You don't need the dummy plugs. It's actually complaining that there are _more_ displays attached. Depending on which protocol/program you use to remotely control the PC, sometimes the remote session can be seen as an "extra display", hence giving you that error. Try starting CGminer without a remote session (by physically operating the computer) and see if the error disappears (with only 1 monitor connected). Good luck!

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
redmist (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:21:24 PM

You don't need the dummy plugs. It's actually complaining that there are _more_ displays attached. Depending on which protocol/program you use to remotely control the PC, sometimes the remote session can be seen as an "extra display", hence giving you that error. Try starting CGminer without a remote session (by physically operating the computer) and see if the error disappears (with only 1 monitor connected). Good luck!
Well shit. I wish you'd told me this a bit earlier. I've just gone and bought £12 worth of dvi-vga adaptors and 68ohm resistors :/
Are you completely sure about this?
Because a couple of people have already said this error is down to it needing a monitor attached to it, or dummy plugs.
Mushoz

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 01:24:09 PM

Well shit. I wish you'd told me this a bit earlier. I've just gone and bought £12 worth of dvi-vga adaptors and 68ohm resistors :/
Are you completely sure about this?
Because a couple of people have already said this error is down to it needing a monitor attached to it, or dummy plugs.

I'm 99% sure, I had the exact same problem 3 days ago Sad

redmist (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:35:52 PM

Well let's think about this. The dummy plug will just simulate having a monitor there, so either way would work?
Mushoz

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 01:43:11 PM

Well let's think about this. The dummy plug will just simulate having a monitor there, so either way would work?

True, but the problem is actually having too many monitors connected, as can be seen in the error message:

"There is possibly more than one display attached to a gpu"

Still, you've already bought the plugs and resistors, so it's worth a shot. Unless you can still return them, in which case I would test my solution first. Let us know if you manage to get it fixed. Smiley

redmist (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:20:14 PM

True, but the problem is actually having too many monitors connected, as can be seen in the error message:

Still, you've already bought the plugs and resistors, so it's worth a shot. Unless you can still return them, in which case I would test my solution first. Let us know if you manage to get it fixed. Smiley

I'm a tiny bit confused though as I'm only connecting to it through one pc. Nothing else is connected to it, so I don't know why its giving me that error.
Well as silly as this may sound, I don't actually have a monitor that I can connect to it. Its a really old monitor and I need a dvi-vga adaptor for it  Cheesy To get my rig up and running though, I connected it to my t.v. with a HDMI cable, so I'm not really sure it would have the same affect as using a proper monitor.

By the way, when I had one card in my rig, temp monitoring was there. Added my second card and I think it still worked, but when I added the third it broke :/ Not sure if telling you that makes a difference but it seems pretty strange to me.  Huh
redmist (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:14:05 PM

Update #1
68 ohm resistors have arrived.
DVI-VGA will hopefully arrive tomorrow.
rograz

Activity: 575

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:55:54 PM

Afterburner doesn't like 6 card setups that much, so it might have the same problem as cgminer. Try sapphire trixx and see if it works.

Afterburner can handle 6 gpus just fine (5970 6990 cards etc) it just sometimes will outright refuse to work with 6 or more cards.
redmist (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:39:53 PM

Afterburner doesn't like 6 card setups that much, so it might have the same problem as cgminer. Try sapphire trixx and see if it works.

Afterburner can handle 6 gpus just fine (5970 6990 cards etc) it just sometimes will outright refuse to work with 6 or more cards.
I've only got 3 cards in my rig. Although Trixx still only works with two of them. One isn't a Sapphire model so it doesn't like it :/
BitHav

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 06:31:56 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2013, 07:07:08 PM by BitHav

Dummy Plugs Boards for Sale

For Sale high quality dummy boards

Just insert  them in the DVI to VGA adapter or buy the full kit.

Option 1:

- Custom Dummy Board
- High quality machined pins
- 2 4-40 Zinc plated 5/16 holding screws to secure the attachment.
- 2 nylon spacers

http://floridaposts.com/img/Board_Top.png

the pins:
http://floridaposts.com/img/Pins_Det.png

Kit:
http://floridaposts.com/img/Kit.png

price: 0.05 BTC per kit

Option 2: Includes everything in Option 1 plus the DVI adapter. Every thing put together as a single unit.

http://floridaposts.com/img/DVI_Dummy_View_2.png

http://floridaposts.com/img/DVI_Dummy_View.png

price: 0.1 BTC per unit, or
         0.5 BTC per 6 pcs, or
         1.0 BTC per 13 pcs

Just PM me with your order or request, I'll email back with the details on how to place your order.
redmist (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 08:33:55 PM

Hi guys,
Haven't updated this for a while but I just built my first dummy. Plugged it in the back of my card, no errors anymore and everything works perfectly. Even got temp monitoring back Cheesy
Suave

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:08:01 PM

Awesome to hear! I will be trying this out tonight. My cards will hash away perfectly for a couple hours and then they just slowly come to a halt over time. Hopefully these resistors will do the trick.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: