Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:21:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER Auction: 10 Block Erupter Blades -ended-  (Read 102515 times)
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:20:08 PM

i do not recall reading that someone cannot withdraw their bid in the OPs original post before the auction ends.
correct me if i am wrong.

if i am correct the person is well within his rights.

if the auction ended and he did not want to pay.. that is something else entirely.

so saying you will hand out scammer tags for such a thing is mighty hilarious when obvious scammers on this
forum never get one and operate to this day.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:33:28 PM

i do not recall reading that someone cannot withdraw their bid in the OPs original post before the auction ends.

if the auction ended and he did not want to pay.. that is something else entirely.

so saying you will hand out scammer tags for such a thing is mighty hilarious when obvious scammers on this

If you read my post correctly, I stated that I will start a thread in the scammer accusation subforum - not to hand out the tag directly. There is a lot of documentation and evidence collecting work to be done before a scammer tag is handed out. Please post at the relevant threads for that if you are unsatisfied with the scammer tagging process.

Also, please read up on auctions - bids are normally considered as binding. There's a reason why the posts in this subforum cannot be deleted. I acknowledge that running such an auction without requiring a deposit is an error in itself as I underestimated how low people would go to.
otter

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:07:43 PM

That's how auctions work.  A bid is binding.  If you could pull out your bid it completely defeats the point of an auction and would make it very easy to fraudulently drive the price up.

I don't think you're a scammer though just misinformed.
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:26:46 PM

That's how auctions work.  A bid is binding.  If you could pull out your bid it completely defeats the point of an auction and would make it very easy to fraudulently drive the price up.

"Although state auction rules vary slightly, all states (except Louisiana) base their auction law on the Uniform Commercial Code, or UCC. According to the UCC, (section 2-238 paragraph 3): “a bidder may retract his bid until the auctioneer’s announcement of completion of the sale, but a bidder’s retraction does not revive any previous bid.”"

I don't think you are a scammer though just misinformed.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:28:20 PM

I recommend block bids from these 3 post count bidders, they are high risk non-paying bidder since they have nothing to lose, also it gives impression of shill bidding to the other bidders. I suggest a minimum post count of 50 to be able to bid here.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:37:24 PM

I recommend block bids from these 3 post count bidders, they are high risk non-paying bidder since they have nothing to lose, also it gives impression of shill bidding to the other bidders. I suggest a minimum post count of 50 to be able to bid here.
Sigh, I'll probably ask friedcat to require deposit for users <50 posts or something equivalent in future auctions. I'm trying to prevent shill/joy bidding here too - guess the state auctions have yet be in such situations then.  Roll Eyes
vortex1878

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:57:44 PM

"Although state auction rules vary slightly, all states (except Louisiana) base their auction law on the Uniform Commercial Code, or UCC. According to the UCC, (section 2-238 paragraph 3): “a bidder may retract his bid until the auctioneer’s announcement of completion of the sale, but a bidder’s retraction does not revive any previous bid.”"

Read carefully.
Hence, the auction would have to be restarted (which is not practical).
As we do not have a classic auction with only one item for sale and therefore one winner, the application of the quoted UCC does not make sense here anyway.

Bids are binding.
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:09:02 PM

Read carefully.
Hence, the auction would have to be restarted (which is not practical).
As we do not have a classic auction with only one item for sale and therefore one winner, the application of the quoted UCC does not make sense here anyway.

Bids are binding.

My point of posting was to defend a person who was quickly becoming a "possible scammer" for doing something that was obviously not "illegal".
This auction is called a "second item auction". And it is also not setup right according to traditional rules. But since it was outlined in the first post
that is not a big deal. The whole thing about starting an auction over does not have to take place. Participants can all agree to continue with the
existing bids. But a savvy bidder can use rules against the auctioneer if they so desire and are running an auction according to a code.

I am priced out of the action but look forward to the snipes at the end! I will shut up now.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:58:49 PM

1 @ 63

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:59:48 PM

Courtesy recap of potential winners:
delariaBTC70
alexukBTC65
JHendersonBTC63
JHendersonBTC63
JHendersonBTC63
jgarzikBTC63
marto74BTC62
BlackLilacBTC62
LainZBTC62
otterBTC62

Time left:

Timer removed. End time: 2013-04-19+16:00:00
yochdog
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:04:02 PM

delariaBTC70
alexukBTC65
JHendersonBTC63
JHendersonBTC63
JHendersonBTC63
jgarzikBTC63
marto74BTC62
BlackLilacBTC62
LainZBTC62
otterBTC62

Time left:

2@63

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:07:32 PM

delariaBTC70
alexukBTC65
JHendersonBTC63
JHendersonBTC63
JHendersonBTC63
jgarzikBTC63
yochdogBTC63
yochdogBTC63
marto74BTC62
BlackLilacBTC62

Time left:

LainZ

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

@WiRED

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:25:02 PM

1@65

They have always known that faith in money is a mass illusion, however they never considered that they wouldn’t be in charge of the illusion - Jon Matonis
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:26:55 PM

delariaBTC70
alexukBTC65
LainZBTC65
JHendersonBTC63
JHendersonBTC63
JHendersonBTC63
jgarzikBTC63
yochdogBTC63
yochdogBTC63
marto74BTC62

Time left:

JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:38:35 PM

1 @ 63.5
otter

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:46:24 PM

1 @ 64
alpha5

Activity: 51

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:28:04 PM

Insane  Shocked
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:58:06 PM

Insane  Shocked

Yes and no. @ todays diff they pay for themselves after power in just under 4 months. Not THAT crazy in my opinion. But yeah, 60+ BTC is a lot of 'nerd gold' Smiley
Marrs

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:28:36 PM

Insane  Shocked

Yes and no. @ todays diff they pay for themselves after power in just under 4 months. Not THAT crazy in my opinion. But yeah, 60+ BTC is a lot of 'nerd gold' Smiley

That's only true if today's difficulty does not change, which is impossible. If current difficulty increase trends continue, in four months, they'll probably be at about 50% ROI.

otter

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:32:44 PM

Insane  Shocked

I would say at the current difficulty incline it's possible that they'll never pay for themselves or may take years.  I personally just want one because I want to help secure the network.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: