Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:30:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible to Mine Bitcoins Using Desktop?  (Read 13379 times)
fkod

Activity: 594
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 10, 2017, 10:55:03 AM

Not possible.

Only one way available for mining bitcoin. With expensive mining devices.

And electricity cost very important factor for earning.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sekalitas

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 09:59:08 AM

Possible to do but it's not profitable because the cost for electricity more than bitcoin that you get and it will damage your desktop . so its useless  Grin

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
xypos

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 02:26:59 PM

I cannot understand one thing, which is making me amazed every single day, when I log-in on the bitcointalk.org.

For understandable reason, looks like decent number of people want to be involved in mining, which is a very good thing because we may have more and more miners which will lead to smaller fees and faster transaction.
But big part of these people, tend to believe that all they need to do is to keep their PC 24/7 with mining software on, just to make endless profits.

Guess what, the times where you could make up some decent number of bitcoin with PC, are gone.
We are in times of mining rigs, we don't use our PC's anymore, except using them for full node.

Mining is a very expensive business nowadays, you should remind that to yourself everytime you think about mining bitcoin ( it is different with some altcoins anyway ).
barnes13

Activity: 1274
Merit: 521

7enius - Your Cryptocurrency Marketing Consultant

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2017, 04:06:29 PM

Very impossible mining Bitcoins using dekstop, if you still do this will crash your dekstop and not profitable, you need to buy equipment to built your mining.
shintosai

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 04:14:51 PM

Very impossible mining Bitcoins using dekstop, if you still do this will crash your dekstop and not profitable, you need to buy equipment to built your mining.
that's right aside from electricity cost the possibilities to damage your Desktop components is also need to think even you can mine dust btc
its worthless compare to the price that you needed to pay for bills and if ever your cpu or your videocard will give up you needed to buy for
a new one.

marcuslong
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 04:48:42 PM

I think you can't do that anymore if really want to mine bitcoin then you should but ant miner this could help you to earn bitcoin. But if using desktop high end computer maybe expensive that much like dekstop worth 10k dollar
fathur.aza

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 03:20:58 AM

if that was true I would wear desktop
I am grateful for this I put on the desktop.
topminingcontracts

Merit: 500

TaaS is a closed-end fund designated to blockchain

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2017, 03:26:04 AM

if that was true I would wear desktop
I am grateful for this I put on the desktop.

One can do it but you should not expect big earnings. It won't be that effective same as that you mine through ASICS that are specifically developed for the mining purposes. Most of the desktop miners end up in loss based on the electricity consumption charge levied.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
Tribizz

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 11:49:58 AM

Is it still possible to mine for bitcoins using a normal desktop computer nowadays?

No don't mine using your desktop because it will damage your desktop,because as of now bitcoin is mining at hard level to mature the coins. So you need to buy a specialized software for mining the bitcoins.

It's true my brother, my desktop got damage as a result of mining at home with it.
crazycatwoman03

Activity: 588

View Profile
April 14, 2017, 03:11:40 PM

For everybody answering yes, yes but, yes with special software, yes with x number of PC's,... i leave following calculation:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Non-specialized_hardware_comparison

1 PC with a new CPU and a decent GPU, having both the CPU (all cores) and GPU running 100% for mining, the above link quickly shows that the hashrate will be <3Gh/s (GPU) + <0.2Gh/s (CPU).

It should be obvious that there is overhead, and that not everybody will run a PC with XEON's + an AMD 5870x6 GPU, but let's assume we have 10 PC's with such hardware. The total hashrate would certainly be lower than 50 Gh/s.

Let's assume you're stealing the electricity from the cybercafé...  Tongue, so you have no extra costs... Now let's punch in the numbers at a calculator:

http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/bitcoin-mining-calculator/?h=50.00&p=2600.00&pc=0.00&pf=1.00&d=422170566883.83700000&r=12.50000000&er=1042.04050000&hc=0.00

As you can see, even in this utopian example, at current diff, block reward and price, you would make a measly $11 A YEAR running 10 PC's equipped with XEON CPU's and a really good GPU 24/7 at 100% (both CPU and GPU).

Now, let's conclude this topic by saying: NO, there is no way you can mine bitcoins using your computer... Not if you have the hottest gaming PC around, not if you steal resources from a cybercafé, not even if you install a cpu miner in your schools computer lab. The only thing that will happen is that you'll get suspended/fired/sued.

The only way to mine BTC is having a really, really cheap electricity rate, and using the latest ASIC gear. Everything else is a waste of hardware, power and money.

I really thought that mining bitcoin would be equal to expensive hardware with high requirements and a specialized software to be used. Thank you for this broad explanation. You must know a lot about mining bitcoin to be able to explain it like this. Good job!

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
xypos

View Profile
April 15, 2017, 10:21:53 PM

Not possible.

Only one way available for mining bitcoin. With expensive mining devices.

And electricity cost very important factor for earning.
That is not true, and I am a little bit shocked that you didn't mention that, because you should many occasions to know, that bitcoin once was mined only on PC.
The reason why we dont see PC mining currently, is because the difficulty of decrypting block is so high, that only mining rigs can do that.
However these are machines made specially for that purpose - to mine bitcoins, or other cryptocurrencies.

It is possible to use PC as a way to mine bitcoins, but it is not worth it because of the electricity costs.
Every month you will see that the profit from bitcoins sold ( those which you have mined ) will be lower that the costs that you have got thanks to the electricity.
Andrew1337

Activity: 574
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 16, 2017, 04:47:11 PM

Don't use your desktop . It will be destroyed in some weeks . Also if you mine with desktop you will get just some bucks in some months .
You will earn maximum 10 euros monthly , if you really want mining just buy a rig
Wayan_Pedjeng

Activity: 913
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 17, 2017, 11:40:42 AM

I need some advice regarding mining using Desktop. I can continuously run my desktop for up to 20 hours a day. But please tell me whether I should go for Bitcoin mining, or altcoins such as Dash or Litecoin. Which one is more profitable?
zottejos

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 06:18:18 AM

I need some advice regarding mining using Desktop. I can continuously run my desktop for up to 20 hours a day. But please tell me whether I should go for Bitcoin mining, or altcoins such as Dash or Litecoin. Which one is more profitable?

Did you read the rest of this topic before making this post?
It has been pointed out by tons of people that you can not make a profit mining for BTC using your desktop.
Litecoin uses scrypt, there are ASIC's available, so you can not make a profit mining Litecoin using your desktop.
Dash uses X11, baikal generated an ASIC to mine X11, so you can not make a profit mining Dash using your desktop.

Since you asked the question, you'll lose the least money by mining Dash, since the X11 asic is pretty scarce, so using a GPU might still give you a small negative profit, while mining scrypt or sha256d will give you a big negative profit.
RamBahadur.Gurung

Activity: 457
Merit: 262

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 08:55:42 AM

Did you read the rest of this topic before making this post?
It has been pointed out by tons of people that you can not make a profit mining for BTC using your desktop.
Litecoin uses scrypt, there are ASIC's available, so you can not make a profit mining Litecoin using your desktop.
Dash uses X11, baikal generated an ASIC to mine X11, so you can not make a profit mining Dash using your desktop.

Since you asked the question, you'll lose the least money by mining Dash, since the X11 asic is pretty scarce, so using a GPU might still give you a small negative profit, while mining scrypt or sha256d will give you a big negative profit.

What you mean by negative profit? If I am getting electricity for free, then there will be no loss, right? Anyway, I don't care if I get any profit or not. Mining will be fun, and I want to experience it.
zottejos

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 12:30:44 PM

What you mean by negative profit? If I am getting electricity for free, then there will be no loss, right? Anyway, I don't care if I get any profit or not. Mining will be fun, and I want to experience it.

I mean that mining with a good, new i7 + decent GPU PC 24/7 will net you less than a dollar a year at current diff, block reward and BTC price.
Even if you get free electricity, i doubt that you'd find a free PC + network equipment + ISP + power for $0 a year. As soon as you pay $10 for a new power cable or a new PC keyboard, you'll never be able to recuperate this cost by mining, hence you'll make a negative profit.
As soon as you decide to mine with an old "free" PC, do realise that you won't even come close to $1/year... It'll probably only be a small fraction of this.

Next to this, the concept of "free" power is pretty confusing. Either you're stealing power, or somebody is paying for it... Either you yourself (maybe it's calculated into your monthly rent), maybe your parents, maybe your employer,... But somebody is footing the bill, and one way or another, most of the time, the bill is passed on to you (maybe your parents make you do chores, maybe your employer sees your power consumption as part of your salary, maybe your rent gets higher after a couple of years because the landlord pays so much for his power bill,...).
Sarah08

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 03:14:57 PM

It is possible to mine bitcoin using desktop but it is impossible to have a good profit in mining in your desktop as they all said there are so many people who is mining bitcoin this days thats make the mining harder and harder so all most impossible to mine bitcoin in your desktop but you can still do it for fun.
hello_good_sir

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 01:36:11 PM

It is possible to mine bitcoin using desktop but it is impossible to have a good profit in mining in your desktop as they all said there are so many people who is mining bitcoin this days thats make the mining harder and harder so all most impossible to mine bitcoin in your desktop but you can still do it for fun.
The thing is, that it doesnt look like that.
You are not able to make any profit from mining bitcoins with PC, the electricity costs are just too high, and the difficulty has risen so much, that it kills the whole idea pretty much.

There is no point in even considering getting bitcoins through mining with desktop, but you can try it with some other cryptocurrencies, there are some altcoins which are actually possible to be mined with desktop successfully, but I would say that most of them are rather shit-coin, because the mining business is very big, if we consider how much funds you need to just start a mining project.

worldmobilecoin

Activity: 159
Merit: 11

World Mobile Coin

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2017, 05:15:31 AM

It's possible but not worth. Need high spec desktop to mining but still can't compete the mining device like Asic, Ant ext. Also your chance to find a new block almost 0. 

WMCC: wc1qcl3qeqkjamt8m7ass0weu9ep6s8se722y553jm
BTC: 1N1ZM9xCzHtn8mD4a4JYUm7bC5T54CBDmD
ETH: 0x6145e253196C7a7CEDDA1797B69E2ba67Fe3219b
BCH: 18CW3B95oTtW5MYG7GAs8isABA4TeNntWA
Mag Fargo

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 05:26:03 AM

I'm mine zCash on common 70 desktop computers, and i get 0.01BTC per week. One computer gives 10-20 cent per day. These computers not work 24/7, because i get lower.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: