May 02, 2024, 10:34:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 27938 27939 27940 27941 27942 27943 27944 27945 27946 27947 27948 27949 27950 27951 27952 27953 27954 27955 27956 27957 27958 27959 27960 27961 27962 27963 27964 27965 27966 27967 27968 27969 27970 27971 27972 27973 27974 27975 27976 27977 27978 27979 27980 27981 27982 27983 27984 27985 27986 27987 [27988] 27989 27990 27991 27992 27993 27994 27995 27996 27997 27998 27999 28000 28001 28002 28003 28004 28005 28006 28007 28008 28009 28010 28011 28012 28013 28014 28015 28016 28017 28018 28019 28020 28021 28022 28023 28024 28025 28026 28027 28028 28029 28030 28031 28032 28033 28034 28035 28036 28037 28038 ... 33316 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371100 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3425
Merit: 4344

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 05:15:44 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Crypto exchange OKEx to add support for Bitcoin's Lightning Network.

Cryptocurrency exchange OKEx is adding support for Bitcoin's Lightning Network in the coming weeks.

Revealing the news exclusively to The Block on Tuesday, OKEx said the move is aimed at enabling cheaper and faster transactions for users.

Specifically, bitcoin deposits and withdrawals will get cheaper, said the exchange.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2021, 05:29:30 PM

As far as i have understood it: Robinhood is ONLY giving you a margin account. So they are allowed to liquidate your margin long position, if the prices moves against you.

The interesting part of these "Neobrokers" is just this conclusion: You never buy stocks there.

Not your certificate.  Not your stonk.

Fun Fact: Did you know that you can't even get access to a stonk certificate that you own outright?

Patrick Byrne, the once CEO of Overstock.com (a company he founded and owned) tried to get the actual certs for the stocks he owned. He wanted the physical documents in his hand.

The DTCC gave him the run-around for months and months, and then finally told him to just drop it.

True fucking story.

I have bought 2 stocks and received the cert (late 90s).

There was a website called 1stock (or something) where you could buy a single stock and they would send you the certificate. It was a complete gimmick as I paid $100 for a $45 McDonalds stock. I bought one for my nephew for his birthday, it included something for kids to learn about stocks. By owning that share he received a yearly stock report in the mail as well as usually some sort of coupon or something for something free at McDonalds.

I think the process changed and you could no longer get the cert anymore so the site is gone and last I checked the state had some money in his name for him to retrieve. I assume it has something to do with that one share.

What's the point of the stock market at this point?
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2899

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 05:33:20 PM

I get a strange feeling that some folks here, who are already (or will be shortly) rich off-of bitcoin, are engaging in self-defeating trades in all that ws or s-coin crap (be it GME, amc, silver, doggie, whatever). Why?

Because you have a bit of extra money?
In jest?
To show 'tha man'?
Decrease your profit % so you can engage in conversations with those who made "just" 30% last year?

What is the most popular vibe?

My dope of choice ATM: GME

- Bit of extra money, just a dash of diversification.
- Stick it to the man all right

No jest, no intentional profit burning. A sensible bet, moderate in amount and with highly asymmetrical stakes. The asymmetry reminds me of... oh well, you know what I'm talking about, you've been onboard for a long time.

What makes the bet sensible is that the numbers are totally f'd up, and several independent sources report levels of short interest surpassing not only GME's float, but even its whole market capitalization. If half of this is true, there'll be blood when they scramble to cover. And they will. They're already bleeding from daily interest and have tried to suppress the price for over a week. Maybe the SEC will start sniffing around now that the thing is out in the news and several reps have written asking for investigations.

The only question is: will the redditor apes manage to hold the stock while the price is so volatile, or will they give in and be content with just a paltry profit? In other words: the outcome, as in our favorite formerly asymmetrical bet, depends on the strength of the hands that hold.

Notice I reserve the alternative spelling of "hold" to the other asset  Wink
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 05:37:35 PM

The only question is: will the redditor apes manage to hold the stock while the price is so volatile, or will they give in and be content with just a paltry profit? In other words: the outcome, as in our favorite formerly asymmetrical bet, depends on the strength of the hands that hold.

Looking at people already bailing GME-ship, they will prove mostly paper hands.
rolling

Activity: 824
Merit: 712

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 05:43:20 PM

Looking at people already bailing GME-ship, they will prove mostly paper hands.

It doesn't look like anyone is bailing to me. Some exchanges cancelled peoples orders, added unwanted stop losses, and restricted trading all while shorts are doubling down. Everyone else is just holding and waiting for the action or buying more when they force it down. All pretty impressive when you consider all the trading restrictions in place now.
Krubster

Activity: 355
Merit: 717

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 05:45:42 PM

I previously said that I was going to buy some GME to show my support. I later decided against this. I guess I got riled up over the weekend, but a good nights sleep made me think clearer again.

I love seeing Wall Street getting screwed over by retail investors like any other guy, but the game is rigged. If one really wants to fight the current financial system, there's really only one answer to that -- bitcoin. I've been all-in in bitcoin for many years for a reason, and I intend it to stay that way.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 05:49:04 PM

It's a rickety system at best and a fraudulous scheme at worst.

Oh yeah, it's bad.

When normies buy a stock share through an online brokerage account, they actually believe that they own that share of the company.

Most would be shocked to know that all they did was "lease" it from a market maker. They don't own shit.

"Never your cert, never your stonk."

Lots and lots of Counterfeit Stocks
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l97ykd/the_real_reason_wall_street_is_terrified_of_the/

"We probably own way more of GME than we think and that is freaking out Wall Street because it could prove they've been up to some extremely illegal shit and the whole system could implode as a result."

Actually the bolded part of the conclusion of that poster is likely incorrect.

The "We" (the WSB tribe) doesn't own those individual shares either. They've all been leased shares from a market maker, and each new account has probably been leased the same share multiple times over. Imagine multiple leases given out on shares that either did or didn't really exist in the first place? <Shudder>

the hedge funds were shorting the stock without owning any. the wallstreetbet guys used an app that only leased the stock they only think they own and maybe even leased each stock multiple times. so no one actually owns anything.

and them saying our rock solid bearer instrument is just hot air?  Cheesy
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2899

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 05:52:42 PM

Those considering that gemini 'earn' thingie better read this:

https://www.gemini.com/legal/gemini-earn-program-terms-and-authorization-agreement#section-5-making-loans-to-borrowers

Basically, Gemini is just facilitating your lending. They have no or almost no 'skin' in the game and if the Joe-shmoe (called Genesis or whatever, apparently) ever defaults, say bye-bye to your bitcoin.
For that non-involvement they are being compensated quite nicely:

https://www.gemini.com/fees/gemini-earn-fees#section-fee-schedule

Not that comp is relevant here, but they, gemini, are taking 4.74% themselves, leaving 2.74% to you.
btc is slightly fairer with 3.05 to 1.08 split

What a nice deal overall....not.
We need to earn on DEXes-that's the real way forward.

Wow whole 3% APY and they don't even guarantee your money, where do i sign up (not).

Word. Gimme 5+% APY (in bitcoin) with 100% guaranteed principal (in bitcoin) and we can talk about it. Otherwise, forget it.
rolling

Activity: 824
Merit: 712

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:04:34 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1), d_eddie (1), strawbs (1)

the hedge funds were shorting the stock without owning any. the wallstreetbet guys used an app that only leased the stock they only think they own and maybe even leased each stock multiple times. so no one actually owns anything.

I don't see anyone saying anything bad about BTC anywhere in WSB.

Look, the company issues shares and those numbers are known. When a short seller sells a share they don't own, they are basically creating a new share out of thin air. Whoever buys that imaginary share has all the rights and benefits as if they owned a share issued by the company. If the company issues a dividend, the shorter is responsible for paying that dividend on the imaginary share they created.

The only way a shorter can get out of this situation is to buy any share back and like matter/anti-matter, the short and long shares destroy each other on contact. Once all the shorts are gone, all the imaginary longs are gone as well, and we are back at the number of shares the company actually issued.

In the back office of any brokerage, there are number crunching people trying to keep the whole house of cards from collapsing. The best way to do that is to borrow shares that actually represent the fake shares the traders created. If they are unable to do this because there aren't that many in existence, they still have lots of other shares of other companies to cover for the shares they don't have. They figure they can always liquidate those and buy shares on the open market if they run into trouble.

Our whole economy is built like this, it's how banks create money from nothing and how debt is magically turned into an asset. The sooner the thing collapses, the better it is for hard assets like BTC. GME is the best chance we've had in a generation to cause the thing to collapse and it aint over yet.

600watt
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:05:25 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1), Krubster (1), PhoenixZephyrus (1)

GME plummeted to ~$81.27 before rising back up again, now at $100. I saw some posts on WSB showing that this was observed during the Volkswagen short squeeze too. Could this be an indicator of anything, or just a dip?

first time ever that i took money and invested in something was at the very end of the dotcom bubble. got 10k and went to the bank, completely clueless. told them i wanted to buy internet stocks. they helped me setting up a very nice portfolio of 10 different very hot stocks. i told them i only wanted to invest 9k into internet stocks and 1k in something completely opposite to internet. they asked me what that would be. i had no clue amd told them i would want shares of a car maker. they looked at me as if i had said "drugs" or something. they told me that no one was buying car companies, they strongly advised me not to do it. i picked volkswagen.
3 days later one of the biggest bubbles in finance history bursted. all my internet stocks went to pennies. i had turned 10k into 1k in basically a week. the VW stock sat there and did not move and i decided to hold it until is made a 10x and sell it then to cover my losses.  well, car stocks usually don´t do 10x moves everyone told me. but then, one day, 8 fkn years later, this short squeeze happened. i got my money back.
600watt
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:08:32 PM

I don't see anyone saying anything bad about BTC anywhere in WSB.

Look, the company issues shares and those numbers are known. When a short seller sells a share they don't own, they are basically creating a new share out of thin air. Whoever buys that imaginary share has all the rights and benefits as if they owned a share issued by the company. If the company issues a dividend, the shorter is responsible for paying that dividend on the imaginary share they created.

The only way a shorter can get out of this situation is to buy any share back and like matter/anti-matter, the short and long shares destroy each other on contact. Once all the shorts are gone, all the imaginary longs are gone as well, and we are back at the number of shares the company actually issued.

In the back office of any brokerage, there are number crunching people trying to keep the whole house of cards from collapsing. The best way to do that is to borrow shares that actually represent the fake shares the traders created. If they are unable to do this because there aren't that many in existence, they still have lots of other shares of other companies to cover for the shares they don't have. They figure they can always liquidate those and buy shares on the open market if they run into trouble.

Our whole economy is built like this, it's how banks create money from nothing and how debt is magically turned into an asset. The sooner the thing collapses, the better it is for hard assets like BTC. GME is the best chance we've had in a generation to cause the thing to collapse and it aint over yet.

with "them" i meant bitcoin critics not the wsbet guys...
Cryptotourist

Activity: 1190
Merit: 755

Homo Sapiens Bitcoinerthalensis

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:20:35 PM

WO before WSB:

WO after WSB:

Fuck WSB. Tongue
BobLawblaw
Legendary

Activity: 1825
Merit: 5551

Neighborhood Shenanigans Dispenser

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:23:27 PM
Merited by Elwar (1), HeRetiK (1)

Things are getting pretty serious about Ranchero Lawblaw. Have engaged an engineer for a proper survey / evaluation of the land we're looking to buy. Also, surveying to see if we're able to build a well on the property, which will be critical.

Woo.

Them: "Wait, so, you want to build a racetrack, through a 100-year floodplain ?"
Me: "Yeah, 1% chance per year. That means I have a 99% chance, decreasing, of using it every year until I die. I'll play those odds."
Them: * Look on face of "Is this polite black man serious ?" *
Me: "Yes. I'm absolutely serious. Around the perimeter of the property. Please make sure we are abiding by easement rules for the properties next to us. We'll need a cross-section for the race-track intersecting the driveway."
Them: "You have obviously given this a lot of thought."
Me: "Yes."

Also, go Corn !!!
Toxic2040
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 4141

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:24:09 PM

Some random news to start off the day.

Punxsutawney Phil says six more weeks of winter. I think I can speak for most and say...yep..seen that one coming a mile away.

https://apnews.com/article/groundhog-day-punxsutawney-prediction-85527080ccef649d2807bfa4804fec25

------

With a heavy heart but head held high I have to announce the passing of a true legend.

Captain Sir Thomas Moore passed away today. RIP

https://apnews.com/article/tom-moore-dead-744f031f8720b48b60683c794d8bd171

atten-hutt!

attention to orders!

A moment of silence will be observed today at noon the in the central courtyard.

dismissed.

The Wellesley

---------

On a brighter note. SpaceX continues its rapid pace in Boca Chica with another test flight possible today. SN9 is scheduled for a test flight today sometime in the next couple of hours. The launch pad around the vehicle was cleared just a short while ago.  

NasaSpaceflight SN9 launch on YT

---------

morning charts

#retailarmy

#dyor

carry on

1h

4h

#stronghands
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:24:52 PM
Merited by BobLawblaw (1), Tash (1)

OT: Hedgefund Greylock Files for Bankruptcy After Losses Spur Withdrawals

https://www.bloombergquint.com/markets/hedge-fund-greylock-files-for-bankrupcty-in-new-york

But...bbut...I thought CNBC said that emerging markets were the way to go? That I would soon be rich? /s  Roll Eyes  Grin
OutOfMemory
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 2995

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:27:52 PM
Merited by vapourminer (2), JayJuanGee (1), strawbs (1)

GME plummeted to ~$81.27 before rising back up again, now at $100. I saw some posts on WSB showing that this was observed during the Volkswagen short squeeze too. Could this be an indicator of anything, or just a dip?

yes  Wink

They shouldn’t wait for that squeeze ever to happen, but demand delivery of the share certificates. That’s what will blow up this whole thing.

wsb more or less says the gme thang may take only few days and physical paper certs would take too long to send and cash out. so hold in electronic form at a broker to cash out post hast if needed.

most seem to be in for the fiat moneyz, not the paradigm shift that btc is. some will understand though.

The most that were in for the fiat money went out for cash (at profit or loss) or switched to the hyped stocks WSB didn't originally even ask to buy (SLV, BB, NOK...).
All the noobs made all the noob mistakes, completely opposed to what WSB advised them to do. Seems like the majority in the game are currently

1. diamond hands (either for the gains or hedge fonds revenge)
2. bag holders that hope to break even
3. institutions riding this wave
4. a small minority not covered in 1-3

I stayed. Same as with BTC. I am at quite a loss now, which i managed to minimize by watching pre-hours trend (-30% already at NYSE open), closed all positions but one share, waited until -30% hit on the market, re-bought with 1/3 of the liquidated amount, observed, re-bought with another third of fiat at -40%, and actually, because i had to leave the house, at -43% again. I will hold the 1 share position forever (this is for you, hedgies) and did not yet decide about the other positions.
Well, i think as long as the price tanks further, i will keep holding. It's not much money, especially when i look at the BTC net worth of mine, but i still had to give up or delay some spendings of my future private life. This is "play money", i don't expect anything in terms of return.
Overshorted hedgefunds can suck my lil boner in the form of my diamond handed GME shares.
I am in for the paradigm shift, the shares are my trophy, and my statement to them. I said from the beginning: Paper hands, GTFO! Let the real dudes continue with the game. One of the best i played in years, honestly.
BobLawblaw
Legendary

Activity: 1825
Merit: 5551

Neighborhood Shenanigans Dispenser

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:28:47 PM
Merited by Torque (1), LFC_Bitcoin (1)

Is it wrong for me to admit I am sexually excited by the notion of hedge funds being absolutely destroyed ?
OutOfMemory
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 2995

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:32:15 PM

Things are getting pretty serious about Ranchero Lawblaw. Have engaged an engineer for a proper survey / evaluation of the land we're looking to buy. Also, surveying to see if we're able to build a well on the property, which will be critical.

Woo.

Them: "Wait, so, you want to build a racetrack, through a 100-year floodplain ?"
Me: "Yeah, 1% chance per year. That means I have a 99% chance, decreasing, of using it every year until I die. I'll play those odds."
Them: * Look on face of "Is this polite black man serious ?" *
Me: "Yes. I'm absolutely serious. Around the perimeter of the property. Please make sure we are abiding by easement rules for the properties next to us. We'll need a cross-section for the race-track intersecting the driveway."
Them: "You have obviously given this a lot of thought."
Me: "Yes."

Also, go Corn !!!

YOLO  Cool

Is it wrong for me to admit I am sexually excited by the notion of hedge funds being absolutely destroyed ?

NO
I'd absolutely be PROUD to be sexually excited (if i were, but feels like i'm very close to it, actually)

Also YOLO  Cool
Toxic2040
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 4141

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:56:48 PM

https://www.bloombergquint.com/markets/hedge-fund-greylock-files-for-bankrupcty-in-new-york

But...bbut...I thought CNBC said that emerging markets were the way to go? That I would soon be rich? /s  Roll Eyes  Grin

+1 WOsMerit

-----

+1 WOsMerit

-----

#stronghands
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4891

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:02:05 PM

Greylock filed for Chapter 11 protection under the Subchapter V provision, which was introduced last year to make the bankruptcy process cheaper and easier for small companies.

Assets under management at the emerging markets hedge fund -- which more than halved since 2017 to $450 million at the end of 2020 -- will drop by $100 million by the end of March in the absence of new investments, according to the filing.

Read more at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/markets/hedge-fund-greylock-files-for-bankrupcty-in-new-york
Copyright © BloombergQuint

Pages: « 1 ... 27938 27939 27940 27941 27942 27943 27944 27945 27946 27947 27948 27949 27950 27951 27952 27953 27954 27955 27956 27957 27958 27959 27960 27961 27962 27963 27964 27965 27966 27967 27968 27969 27970 27971 27972 27973 27974 27975 27976 27977 27978 27979 27980 27981 27982 27983 27984 27985 27986 27987 [27988] 27989 27990 27991 27992 27993 27994 27995 27996 27997 27998 27999 28000 28001 28002 28003 28004 28005 28006 28007 28008 28009 28010 28011 28012 28013 28014 28015 28016 28017 28018 28019 28020 28021 28022 28023 28024 28025 28026 28027 28028 28029 28030 28031 28032 28033 28034 28035 28036 28037 28038 ... 33316 »
  Print  

Jump to: