Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 12:48:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sports book ripp off  (Read 480 times)
ar8003 (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:33:17 AM

BetBtcNow.com just ripped me off.  I won a sports bet, I bet 0.03 and never recieved anything and now it looks like the site is gone even.  Beware of that guy his username here is BetBtcNow.com and he is still hawking his scam site...
TCollar

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:48:43 AM

You bet on a two day old betting site that used anonymous registration?

Sorry, but some tips for the future:

Whois is your friend. 

Hidden registrations are great for personal websites but suspicious for businesses and twice as suspicious for BTC.

Time of registration.  For BTC sites you want at least 2011, anything less you gotta do more research.  Do research anyway if older than 2011.

You want a real name too.  You want to see old technical questions they ask from before the days of BTC.  You do not want to see someone who figured out a clever way to trade in WoW, a felon, or perhaps a club DJ.

You would want to see someone who had past experience with a fiat money gambling site.

Sometimes the enthusiasm of BTC advocates makes them vulnerable to the predations of scam artists.  So just look and look again.  Learn to research anyplace that you are trusting your money to for at least an hour.  A real investment should be researched for at least a working day or more.

ar8003 (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:56:24 AM

Whois is your friend. 

Hidden registrations are great for personal websites but suspicious for businesses and twice as suspicious for BTC.

Time of registration.  For BTC sites you want at least 2011, anything less you gotta do more research.  Do research anyway if older than 2011.

You want a real name too.  You want to see old technical questions they ask from before the days of BTC.  You do not want to see someone who figured out a clever way to trade in WoW, a felon, or perhaps a club DJ.

You would want to see someone who had past experience with a fiat money gambling site.

Sometimes the enthusiasm of BTC advocates makes them vulnerable to the predations of scam artists.  So just look and look again.  Learn to research anyplace that you are trusting your money to for at least an hour.  A real investment should be researched for at least a working day or more.

Yep pretty much everything you said is true.  Oh well atleast it was only a 0.03 lesson learned could have been worse.   You made some good points i never thought of though.
pbflash

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:06:12 AM

I wish I only lost .03. He got me for $150.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178535.0
ezra242

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:36:00 AM

Ouch, sorry to hear.
ar8003 (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:37:26 AM

I wish I only lost .03. He got me for $150.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178535.0

Ahh man sorry to hear that.  I Will never understand a thief, just makes no sense to me.  Well hopefully karma is real Smiley
sambrose

Activity: 15

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 07:03:42 AM

Whois is your friend. 

I would disagree with some of your rationale. Age should not imply immediate reputable standing. Conversely, the lack of age should not imply otherwise. Back to your 'whois' example, domain names can be bought (if the right amount is paid).

We have just launched a betting site - betoneurovision.com that is no more than a few days old. But then again, the contest only takes place once a year and lasts a weekend. It would unreasonable to have a domain name that's X years old for this sort of thing.

Rather than going straight off whois, I suggest having a hard look at the website. Dodgy websites look and smell dodgy. You don't have to go too far to see that you're about to get scammed.
Craigmac

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 08:31:59 AM

I will stay away. thx for the warning.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: