Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:31:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hal's Password was changed recently  (Read 1359 times)
Cryptoup (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 09:37:34 AM

I found that Hal's password was changed recently via email. Do you guys have any idea of who is using his account after him?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=2436

We have lost a gem in form of Hal, I hope the account is in the control of his legal heirs.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1176

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 09:43:36 AM

This account last posted in 2013 and it does seem very strange that it is becoming active again now. It might be the original owner, but who knows - their is no such thing as a "legal heir" to a bitcointalk account so that is a weird reference to make. Somebody should probably tag the account until the identity is proven, because there is so much account password cracking going around.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Cryptoup (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 09:50:28 AM

This account last posted in 2013 and it does seem very strange that it is becoming active again now. It might be the original owner, but who knows - their is no such thing as a "legal heir" to a bitcointalk account so that is a weird reference to make. Somebody should probably tag the account until the identity is proven, because there is so much account password cracking going around.

I wish you read the news before posting, Hal was the person to receive world's first bitcoin transaction directly from Satoshi. He passed away in 2014 and now we don't know who is using his account. He was next important person after Satoshi in bitcoin.
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

give me your cryptos

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 11:18:32 AM

I wish you read the news before posting, Hal was the person to receive world's first bitcoin transaction directly from Satoshi. He passed away in 2014 and now we don't know who is using his account. He was next important person after Satoshi in bitcoin.

Some people even believe he's Satoshi. I have an inkling that he was, or was part of the group.

Take a second to look at John K's comment. "Hopefully you'll be revived in the near future with the power of technology."

Well, I think that day may have come. Sad

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 12:43:09 PM

This has even made the news!
https://themerkle.com/hal-finneys-password-changed/

Maybe the account should be locked, just like Satoshi's...
pbleak
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 12:58:57 PM

What an odd thing to do. Maybe hackers looking for some info that leads to some of Hal's early wallets.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 01:03:58 PM

Nice catch, very strange indeed. I wonder why would someone like to regain control of this account...

It might be the original owner

Wishful thinking, heh? Cheesy

Take a second to look at John K's comment. "Hopefully you'll be revived in the near future with the power of technology."

Well, I think that day may have come. Sad

I guess not, successfully reviving someone preserved cryogenically would be major news, so no...
n691309
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 01:20:22 PM

This has even made the news!
https://themerkle.com/hal-finneys-password-changed/

Maybe the account should be locked, just like Satoshi's...

Less than 6 hours since "Hal" has reset his password and it is in the news now. Maybe he* will say something or make a post, why locking his account if he* or people behind his account are legit? How true is the news that he passed away in August 2014!

*He or his legal heirs.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2017, 01:26:29 PM

Less than 6 hours since "Hal" has reset his password and it is in the news now. Maybe he will say something or make a post, why locking his account if he or people behind his account are legit?
How can he 'say something or post' if he's dead?

How true is the news that he passed away in August 2014!
He's as dead as anyone can be. The account should be locked to prevent abuse.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 01:36:48 PM

Yeah I saw the merkle news on reddit.

There are only 3 possibilities:

1) His account got hacked during the 2013 -2016 password hacking bulks that some hacker released on the internet, so everyone that didn't change their password could potentially be compromised.
2) Someone from their family knows the password and accessed the account for something.
3) Satoshi has his password and needed to access the account for something or something satoshi related (unlikely)
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1709

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 10:48:46 PM

Was it really proven that he died or maybe he just said he died to stop the death threats against him?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 08:07:32 AM

I've added a comment to the trust I left for him - hopefully this is just his heir/family, not someone nefarious.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 03:30:57 PM

I'd say someone gained access to his email account
Hopefully I'm wrong and it's one of his children

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 06:00:57 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2018, 05:58:15 PM by HI-TEC99

I'd say someone gained access to his email account
Hopefully I'm wrong and it's one of his children

The seclog shows his password was reset using his email. Either his family or a hacker has access to that email address.

https://bitcointalk.org/seclog.php

February 12, 2017, 07:32:33 AM - Hal - password reset via email

In 2014 someone got access to Satoshi's old gmx email, used it to access the Bitcoin sourceforge site, then defaced it. There was speculation the gmx email account had expired and someone was able to re-register with Satoshi's name. A hacker might have re-registered using Hal's email account name if it expired. Although his email is hidden on his bitcointalk profile it was probably in the stolen database.

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-creator-satoshi-nakamoto-email-account-hacked/

The hackers have further managed to gain access to Project Bitcoin on SourceForge – an old page which does not contain anything of importance save for some mailing lists – for a very brief time until it was restored by SourceForge following requests by Bitcoin developers.

There are unconfirmed suggestions that Satoshi’s GMX email account expired and someone was able to claim it. Peter Todd however is reporting through twitter that he has been forwarded emails from 2011 by Satoshi’s account suggesting that hacking may be more likely than a simple case of expired and re-registered. GMX has been contacted to ask for clarification and the post will be updated once a response is received.
Cryptoup (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2017, 08:04:28 AM

Any Update?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: