Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:33:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is it so hard to get Bitcoins  (Read 1217 times)
hstlmn (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:57:07 PM

These are suppose to be completely anonymous but yet on MT you need to do bank statements for most things. Why are there not easier ways to fund and get bitcoins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
thep33t

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:01:58 PM

you can get them peer to peer. Otherwise, if you go through a central banking authority, you will have to jump through some hoops.

Feathercoin Pool - http://feathercoin.is-a-geek.com - [PPLNS][0% Fees]
FTC: 6sf5CgurY5axcd2cwDHmiwdVMdAF9fw6pU       BTC: 1J74TaaKuNMoy25TP5vXKG2Jw8yg1sqyyQ       BTE: 8QZ2XiantPF8eWmzayo5WaXyYC8unBq5ZC     LTC: LatpwWc4GQyF2teKegZHiDGEGdNEKqEPTT
hstlmn (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:07:56 PM

yes but where do I fund these, what funding options are there, how do I protect myself from not getting scammed.
daemol

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:08:48 PM

You can mine bitcoins anonymously  Smiley
newman_justin40

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:16:31 PM

^ unfortunately with the increase in mining difficulty it seems like pennies per hour instead of a real profit most people probably thought they'd be getting.
jarsugar

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:19:58 PM

Exactly
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:26:47 PM

http://bitcoin-otc.com/ <-Definitly the best P2P exhange, I use it ALL the time for ALL of my buying/selling
http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratings.php <- And this is how we trust people

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
daemol

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:28:09 PM

Why is it so hard to get Bitcoins

It is always difficult to exchange bad money for good money.

Bitcoin is not bad money.
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:28:42 PM

The Answer. ^
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:34:10 PM

because none of us who are holding bitcoins want your stinky fiat

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
UncleMeat

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:36:05 PM

Bitcoin is not bad money.

Which is why it's so difficult to exchange EUR/USD/GBP/RUB/JPY/etc for it.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:59:24 PM

yes but where do I fund these, what funding options are there, how do I protect myself from not getting scammed.
"These" as in peer-to-peer? That means you go to a person that wants to sell their bitcoins. How you fund them? It depends on personal taste, but there are many that can be you can fund by handing over fiat notes...

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Hyperbolical

Activity: 49

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:15:09 PM

These are suppose to be completely anonymous but yet on MT you need to do bank statements for most things. Why are there not easier ways to fund and get bitcoins?
I guess it's because of the risk of chargebacks. In a way it shows a strength of bitcoin (transactions can't be reversed). You could use other exchanges like Virwox (though their exchange rates are extremely high).
Whale

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:30:38 PM

It's hard to get them because it is more secure
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4612

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:36:35 PM

These are suppose to be completely anonymous

Whoever told you that lied to you.  Bitcoin is not "completely anonymous".

Bitcoin is pseudonymous, and with significant effort you can maintain anonymity while using bitcoin, but most people either aren't aware of the effort required or don't care enough about anonymity to bother.

but yet on MT you need to do bank statements for most things. Why are there not easier ways to fund and get bitcoins?

Bitcoin transactions are not reversible.  Other forms of electronic payment are.  Nobody wants to take the risk of giving up something irreversible for something that might be reversed a few days later.  If you want true complete anonymity, and you want something that is irreversible, you have to offer something irreversible in exchange (such as physical cash).

You can mail me some cash along with a bitcoin address, and I'll happily send you some bitcoin (after keeping a reasonable transaction fee for myself).
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:39:28 PM

Because, if doing transactions between people was easy, safe, reliable and cheap, we would not need bitcoin. But our current system is made of tons of expenses, tons of frauds and slow transactions. This is why bitcoin was made, to solve all this.
Buying bitcoins with credit card? It would be a chargeback fest

dmod

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:33:25 PM

I understand the challenges, but the ease of "buying into" bitcoins is prohibitive for this becoming mainstream. The average person would find most of the ways you buy bitcoins too complicated or very shady. I personally use dwolla -> campbx, but that takes a few days for the transfer to go through, so it's frustrating if you wanted to buy coins right away.

Once someone can come up with a safe, reliable way to sell coins to an average consumer, then we will really start to take off.
niteryder

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:35:15 PM

I understand the challenges, but the ease of "buying into" bitcoins is prohibitive for this becoming mainstream. The average person would find most of the ways you buy bitcoins too complicated or very shady. I personally use dwolla -> campbx, but that takes a few days for the transfer to go through, so it's frustrating if you wanted to buy coins right away.

Once someone can come up with a safe, reliable way to sell coins to an average consumer, then we will really start to take off.

Okpay works for me.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:11:25 PM

Have not you guys heard yet? There is a relatively easy way to get good money, besides trying to exchange bad money for it.

1. Provide goods and services.
2. Get paid in good money.
3. Keep some or all of good money and exchange the rest for goods and services you wish to consume.

If only.

If you do #1 how do you insure #2 happens? Commerce with Bitcoin is difficult to say the least. With Bitcoins it is either Pay first and hope you get goods or services, or transfer goods or services and hope that you get paid.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4612

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:17:30 PM

Have not you guys heard yet? There is a relatively easy way to get good money, besides trying to exchange bad money for it.

1. Provide goods and services.
2. Get paid in good money.
3. Keep some or all of good money and exchange the rest for goods and services you wish to consume.

If only.

If you do #1 how do you insure #2 happens? Commerce with Bitcoin is difficult to say the least. With Bitcoins it is either Pay first and hope you get goods or services, or transfer goods or services and hope that you get paid.

But isn't the same true of cash?  If you pay someone with cash, how can you be sure that they will deliver the service or merchandise purchased?  If you provide goods or services to someone who will be paying with cash, how do you know that they will pay?

Bitcoin as a payment network protects merchants from fraud, theft, and chargebacks as long as the seller receives payment.  But bitcoin as a currency has the same problems as all other currencies in that there is a level of trust necessary to engage in a transaction.

Other currencies deal with this problem with trusted third-party services that handle the exchange and reversal of transactions.  Eventually bitcoin will likely also have such services.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: