Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:07:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is no longer a currency  (Read 15298 times)
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 05:32:35 AM

I don't consider Bitcoin as a stock. For many reasons one good reason is that BItcoin is not a company, a company that pays dividends and rights. Also to be a stock you need to be publicly listed in Bitcoin's case it had created a new kind of exchange revolving cryptocurrencies and does not revolve around stock companies. Don't mix Bitcoin as a stock.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Oralmat

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 09:26:05 AM

actually I agree that bitcoin is not a currency, when we talk about currency there is always a party that controlled it, but most of the people used it for currency and it is acceptable for some user as an exchange tools that makes bitcoin as a currency, and I like all of us treat bitcoin as a currency because it is really efficient to used

No, we should agree on it, bitcoin is a currency, if it is not currency, So why we use to bitcoin for payment wise, and also we covert the bitcoin into fiat currency. Do you use any other thing alternative for currency?
No off course, we use only currency whenever we buy something and anything. Bitcoin is a pure currency but its name is cyrpto.
Barbut

Activity: 1694
Merit: 502

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 10:41:15 AM

actually I agree that bitcoin is not a currency, when we talk about currency there is always a party that controlled it, but most of the people used it for currency and it is acceptable for some user as an exchange tools that makes bitcoin as a currency, and I like all of us treat bitcoin as a currency because it is really efficient to used

No, we should agree on it, bitcoin is a currency, if it is not currency, So why we use to bitcoin for payment wise, and also we covert the bitcoin into fiat currency. Do you use any other thing alternative for currency?
No off course, we use only currency whenever we buy something and anything. Bitcoin is a pure currency but its name is cyrpto.

Store of value or medium of exchange, for me this are technicalities. We can describe bitcoin in many ways, but bottom line is that you can gamble with bitcoins, you can do illegal stuff with bitcoins, you can buy many things with bitcoins, so for me bitcoin is currency.
Xuan87 someone control stocks too, everything in this system is controlled by someone or something. For now we have luck that bitcoin is decentralized, and I hope it will stay like that, cause only in this form and with this organization bitcoin can be real alternative for fiat currencies.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
BeGoods
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 10:51:05 AM

I don't consider Bitcoin as a stock. For many reasons one good reason is that BItcoin is not a company, a company that pays dividends and rights. Also to be a stock you need to be publicly listed in Bitcoin's case it had created a new kind of exchange revolving cryptocurrencies and does not revolve around stock companies. Don't mix Bitcoin as a stock.
certainly bitcoin is not stocks, bitcoin is cryptocurrency that have prices up and down, so it can be used for investment. but bitcoin I think it could also be referred to as a currency, because you can buy something with bitcoin
xvids

Activity: 1176
Merit: 301

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 10:53:17 AM

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/04/bitcoin-is-no-longer-a-currency/274859/

An article from The Atlantic magazine - from 2013, way back in 2013 - declaring that bitcoin is not a currency, but "the ultimate tech stock"!

The four years since the article was written has proven that bitcoin is akin to an Amazon or Facebook (stock, not company), and much less "Pets.com". That's a good thing.

I have to agree with them. Every week that passes without a new company in any local metropolitan area deciding to accept bitcoin as currency is a two weeks further away from bitcoin actually being adopted, mainstream, as a currency.

Bitcoin is an investment. A stock or an asset class/commodity can be debated, although it doesn't much matter. Bitcoin is a store of value not a medium of exchange.

What do you think?
For me it is clear that bitcoin is a currency,
It is a cryptography currency and it is created for the anonymity of all of it's user and to decentralize.

gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 11:12:04 AM

certainly bitcoin is not stocks, bitcoin is cryptocurrency that have prices up and down, so it can be used for investment. but bitcoin I think it could also be referred to as a currency, because you can buy something with bitcoin

I think its because bitcoin's use is not specifically for investment purposes so we can't compare it to stocks. As you've said, we can use bitcoin to purchase and do online transactions and i think that is btc's main purpose. The fact that the price goes up and down makes it also good as an investment itself and i think thats the reason ehy some people compare it to stocks

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
RealPhotoshoper
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 04:51:52 PM

With a thought such as you have said it could make gold as a currency too right?
Gold have been used to trade, used as a payment and could be converted to fiat too.
Things make people consider bitcoin as not a currency anymore is because the price/value that way too high.
Sled

Activity: 1680
Merit: 535

Bitcoin- in bullish time

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 06:20:56 PM

How does the bitcoin is not consider or no longer a kind of currency because that is very wrong. Bitcoin is a virtual money or known as crypto'currency' so it means that bitcoin is still a kind of currency and in terms of currency, you can use it to buy other things or that kind of thing has a value which bitcoin have. So it is wrong if we say that the bitcoin is no longer a currency
wxa7115

Activity: 2702
Merit: 704

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 06:25:27 PM

Bitcoin can be a lot of things but at its core bitcoin is money, since it has all the good things you will want out of money, its durable, fungible, it's a unit of account, and the most important it is a store of value unlike all the currencies of the world except gold and silver, that is why sometimes people think of it as a stock or commodity but it is not, bitcoin is money.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 06:32:46 PM

Bitcoin can be a lot of things but at its core bitcoin is money, since it has all the good things you will want out of money, its durable, fungible, it's a unit of account, and the most important it is a store of value unlike all the currencies of the world except gold and silver, that is why sometimes people think of it as a stock or commodity but it is not, bitcoin is money.
So tell me why almost every bitcoin owner hold the coins?

The best and the most common practice is hoarding bitcoins and waiting for the price to grow. Do you think this is what a currency is made for?
For keeping it safe, and never use it? BTC users are AFRAID to buy goods/services because BTC most likely will be worth more in the future due to deflationary nature of bitcoin.
wuvdoll
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 06:37:09 PM

Yes bitcoin suits for many applications then why not we can use bitcoin as a currency. I'm not ready to accept bitcoin for an investment purposes only.

Probably right now bitcoin is being used ONLY as an investment vehicle but it does not mean it will stay the same for ever. Once bitcoin prices are getting stable, people will start using it similar to fiats. But I guess it will take more time than our life times.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2017, 07:11:19 PM

The best and the most common practice is hoarding bitcoins and waiting for the price to grow. Do you think this is what a currency is made for?
For keeping it safe, and never use it? BTC users are AFRAID to buy goods/services because BTC most likely will be worth more in the future due to deflationary nature of bitcoin

While I agree that it may be not a very good idea overall to spend your precious bitcoins on trivial things, but there are plenty of other people who might be just happy to spend their bitcoins buying stuff online. So this is not the main reason why many folks are keeping their bitcoins. It seems that the primary reason is the lack of enough number of merchants ready to accept Bitcoin. Look, Bitcoin gambling is one of the two most widespread uses of Bitcoin (the other being trading), and many people are willing to exchange their coins for the fun of gambling. In this way, there is no reason to think that savers wouldn't turn into spenders...

If they could actually spend the coins

BitcoinPanther

Activity: 1918
Merit: 564

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 11:02:10 PM

For keeping it safe, and never use it? BTC users are AFRAID to buy goods/services because BTC most likely will be worth more in the future due to deflationary nature of bitcoin

While I agree that it may be not a very good idea overall to spend your precious bitcoins on trivial things, but there are plenty of other people who might be just happy to spend their bitcoins buying stuff online. So this is not the main reason why many folks are keeping their bitcoins. It seems that the primary reason is the lack of enough number of merchants ready to accept Bitcoin. Look, Bitcoin gambling is one of the two most widespread uses of Bitcoin (the other being trading), and many people are willing to exchange their coins for the fun of gambling. In this way, there is no reason to think that savers wouldn't turn into spenders...

If they could actually spend the coins

I am one of those that enjoy using Bitcoin buying stuff online.  So I can say I agree that many holders thinks that bitcoin is a store of value, I enjoy the things that bitcoin offers as currency.
wilson_bitbybit

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 11:05:10 PM

The currency does not have such a large market yet, but I think as long as Bitcoin continues to be used for people to make payments on the internet, Bitcoin will remain a currency.

⚪ Byteball (https://byteball.org/)     ❱❱❱     I T   J U S T   W O R K S .    ❱❱❱
Sending Crypto to Email  -  Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments  -  ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1608859.0)          TELEGRAM (https://t.me/byteball)          TWITTER (https://twitter.com/ByteballOrg)          MEDIUM (https://medium.com/byteball)          SLACK (https://slack.byteball.org/)          REDDIT (https://www.reddit.com/r/ByteBall/)
error08

Activity: 1036
Merit: 514

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 11:40:58 PM

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/04/bitcoin-is-no-longer-a-currency/274859/

An article from The Atlantic magazine - from 2013, way back in 2013 - declaring that bitcoin is not a currency, but "the ultimate tech stock"!

The four years since the article was written has proven that bitcoin is akin to an Amazon or Facebook (stock, not company), and much less "Pets.com". That's a good thing.

I have to agree with them. Every week that passes without a new company in any local metropolitan area deciding to accept bitcoin as currency is a two weeks further away from bitcoin actually being adopted, mainstream, as a currency.

Bitcoin is an investment. A stock or an asset class/commodity can be debated, although it doesn't much matter. Bitcoin is a store of value not a medium of exchange.

What do you think?
I think bitcoin as all of those you have mentioned, not only as a digital currency, tech stock, commodity, as an investment, as savings because the value of bitcoin. Yes, bitcoin is a store of value but it is a medium of exchange too which we can buy/sell to purchase goods/bitcoin, that's what we do for years, bitcoin as an alternative payment but in some regions it has good opportunity to spend bitcoin easier than fiat money. Depend on every user opinion to consider bitcoin as they want, bitcoin remain as a better financial technology.
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 02:47:36 AM

Bitcoin isn't a currency, but there is no easy way to define it. It can be called a cryptocurrency, but that could also make people think it is a currency.  Really it is several things including: 1) a store of value, 2) an investment, 3) a method of transferring money electronically, 4) a method of making purchases. I'm sure there are other features as well.
n0ne

Activity: 2562
Merit: 548

8ombard - Pick, Play, Prosper!

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2017, 03:30:22 AM

A single coin has several usability directly which is not possible with the national currencies. Bitcoin initially is a store of value. Later got transformed to a technology development. Once again with its potential got the features of a currency without physical touch. Now people are using I similar to dollar and euro for their needs. So it can be considered as a currency. In a most popular news portal page of Germany Bitcoin is listed under the major currencies section. These too confirm it as a currency.

█████▄▄██
███▄█████
██▄███████▄
████████████████
███▀██████████▀
██▄████████████▄
░█████▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
████▀████████▀████
▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████▀███████▄████
███████▀▀▄▄▄█████
███████████████▀
████████████▀▀
OMBARD.com|.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████░██░████░██
▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
██████████████
▄▄░▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀▀▀
██░██░██████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
PICK,
PLAY,
PROSPER!

██████
██████████
██████████
██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████   ██
PROVABLY
FAIR
1%█████████████████   ██
HOUSE
EDGE
100%█████████████████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS
  Play now  
gandame

Activity: 924
Merit: 505

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 07:52:32 AM

Yes bitcoin is no longer a currency because it more like a business that has a peak season and an off-peak season of its price, which is the profit earned by most of the users who do investment of digital crypto currencies. As mostly others were saying it’s a storage digital value of money used as a medium of exchange that can buy, sell or purchase goods and even bitcoin is purchased using fiat money that sellers also earned profit through peer to peer trading. Eventually we are now facing the strongest pillars of digital currency, and will continue to have better future as it remain sustainable financial source of people who wanted progress in life.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 08:11:05 AM

Bitcoin isn't a currency, but there is no easy way to define it. It can be called a cryptocurrency, but that could also make people think it is a currency.  Really it is several things including: 1) a store of value, 2) an investment, 3) a method of transferring money electronically, 4) a method of making purchases. I'm sure there are other features as well.

Bitcoin is whatever you want it to be. If you want to use it as currency, then it is a currency, if you want to use it as an investment, then it's exactly that, etc. That's why I find it weird that you say Bitcoin is this and that, but totally discard its usability as currency tool. Roll Eyes It's perhaps not the most convenient way when it comes to using it as currency in local situations due to the steep fees and confirmation times, but it serves pretty well in online circumstances.

Bitcoin isn't a currency

3) a method of transferring money electronically

4) a method of making purchases.

Roll Eyes
Kevin77
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 12:52:00 PM

Yes bitcoin is no longer a currency because it more like a business that has a peak season and an off-peak season of its price, which is the profit earned by most of the users who do investment of digital crypto currencies. As mostly others were saying it’s a storage digital value of money used as a medium of exchange that can buy, sell or purchase goods and even bitcoin is purchased using fiat money that sellers also earned profit through peer to peer trading. Eventually we are now facing the strongest pillars of digital currency, and will continue to have better future as it remain sustainable financial source of people who wanted progress in life.
I too really worry that we just gave up on trying to make bitcoin as international currency that can be used in shops and like any other payment method on the internet long time ago and we just accepted the fact that it is an investment also, because of this reason its price is still unstable and people do not trust using it in their business as a currency.

But the positive note to consider, the investment characteristics of bitcoin may short live after that it may move into currency mode automatically.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: