Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:40:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum's Mailserver - Limited deliverability  (Read 743 times)
Salmen2 (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 05:05:52 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2017, 01:35:54 PM by Salmen2

To the responsible IT guy of BitcoinTalk.org Forum:

Since the September 2016 (probably related to this attack) the mail deliverability is limited to few mail providers. Some mails such as notification or password reset won't arrive to the mail server because of the misconfiguration in the DNS configuration.
This problem shall not occur at big forums such this one, and shall be fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you!
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Salmen2 (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 03:21:43 PM

Bump
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1819
Merit: 2792

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2017, 06:22:32 PM

Since the September 2016 (probably related to this attack) the mail deliverability is limited to few mail providers. Some mails such as notification or password reset won't arrive to the mail server because of the misconfiguration in the DNS configuration.
This problem shall not occur at big forums such this one, and shall be fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you!
How are you under the impression there are only some mail providers that are working?  And which are they?

DNS doesn't have a huge amount to do with mail delivery except to get SPF or MX records to determine where mail should be delivered, or where mail should be coming from, in relation to a specific domain. I'm not sure if the outgoing emails of the forum go through a proxy before sending out but assuming the destination domain has accurate MX/SPF records, I would guess the messages are making it to their destination server.

I'm not seeing the BTCTalk mail servers listed on any RBLs so I would only guess that destination mail servers are blocking the messages for some reason and would need more information on which providers to try and explain why.

Salmen2 (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 07:38:55 PM

Thank you!
How are you under the impression there are only some mail providers that are working?  And which are they?

DNS doesn't have a huge amount to do with mail delivery except to get SPF or MX records to determine where mail should be delivered, or where mail should be coming from, in relation to a specific domain. I'm not sure if the outgoing emails of the forum go through a proxy before sending out but assuming the destination domain has accurate MX/SPF records, I would guess the messages are making it to their destination server.

I'm not seeing the BTCTalk mail servers listed on any RBLs so I would only guess that destination mail servers are blocking the messages for some reason and would need more information on which providers to try and explain why.
Hi,
The mail provider belongs to the company 1&1 that operates the email provider GMX.com, Mail.com and much more.
Naturally, they have a strong protection against spam that requires for administrator to set up an trusted email sender, SPF rules and PTR record. Sometimes it might be an configuration which causes a bad email deliverability.

Cheers
Salmen
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1819
Merit: 2792

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2017, 10:31:30 PM

Hi,
The mail provider belongs to the company 1&1 that operates the email provider GMX.com, Mail.com and much more.
Naturally, they have a strong protection against spam that requires for administrator to set up an trusted email sender, SPF rules and PTR record. Sometimes it might be an configuration which causes a bad email deliverability.

Cheers
Salmen

Hello  Grin
Each server I see forum emails coming from has a valid PTR and passes an SPF check... the SMTP banner probably does not match the PTR, which might effect some providers. I believe this would be something Amazon would need to change, depending on the type of account the forum has with Amazon, but I'm not really that familiar with Amazon's hosting, or what type of account the forum has, so I'm probably not going to be helpful.  Undecided

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: