Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:55:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AMD Zen CPU's: Ryzen and Naples  (Read 4597 times)
Cacapzarg

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 07:35:55 PM

I am going with AMD for the longer chipset cycle time, nothing more annoying then having chipset and sockets retired every few months.

Maybe my next PC is AMD based.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ps_jb

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 07:59:26 PM

Never ever will do! Did that mistake in ~2002 Smiley
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 08:23:53 PM

Cheaper and faster than Intel, that's hard to believe. A cheap CPU is no good for mining because of the overhead
of the rest of the PC. You can't put 6 CPUs in one pc like you can with GPUs so you want the fastest CPU you can get
to get the most from the PC.

why not at one time AMD was king even over Intel in fact i remember CPU wars till AMD wtf up ... then they lost out big time and Intel took over why cant AMD do it again ..? ..

AMD is a lot different then they were when they all most went out of business a while back and i was told are working on the next die of 10nm ..

I can AMD did this or that and I'm sure you would try to down play that so i won't brother but I am holding off for just the reason you stated to see how it holds up this time ..... but to say they can't because the CPU is cheap in price doesn't mean it is cheaply made or it can't handle it beyond Intel or match it.. or it's cheap because of the price ...

Take your fanboy hat off and read again. I didn't say cheap amd, I said cheap CPU, cheap intel is no good either.

The only thing I said about AMD is it's hard to believe the ryzen will be cheaper and faster than intel for
cpu mining. Intel has previously benefitted from hyperthreading and better power efficciency and better
implementation of AVX2. In Ryzen AVX2 will be faked, I don't know how or what effect it will have on
performance. They have implemented hyperthreading but this first attempt will not likely compete with
Intel yet. Can they beat Intel on performance? Not likely.

I wish they could. Intel has no real competition in the workstation and server market and that is not a good thing.

Can AMD compete on price. That's up to them. I wish they would because it would put pressure on Intel prices.

My bad took it wrong i agree Intel has been king to long i have bought a few Intel chips and they are good I guess but what I use my PC for i don't notice any difference  between the two ..

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 08:28:12 PM

Never ever will do! Did that mistake in ~2002 Smiley

That's why im holding off this time and buying one two of the 4 cores once there out a month and tested the FX CPU AM + 3 were ok for my use but they had some disappointing set backs if you tired to over clock and game with them other wise they worked fine for me .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
cptfisher

Activity: 649
Merit: 505

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 08:31:14 PM

dude.... look that opteron chips actualy outperforms xeon chips on the same price range concerning mining... and my cheap shitty amd  a8 5400k  has same performance per core than those of an i7....
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 07:15:19 AM

why not at one time AMD was king even over Intel in fact i remember CPU wars till AMD wtf up ... then they lost out big time and Intel took over why cant AMD do it again ..? ..

AMD is a lot different then they were when they all most went out of business a while back and i was told are working on the next die of 10nm ..

AMD has held the outright performance crown over Intel during 2 periods.

(1) Athlon "Thunderbird" days - the Thunderbird was a hair more efficient per clock vs the Pentium III across the board AND the top Thunderbird chips clocked HIGHER.
      Eventually Intel came out with the Pentium 4 and got it clocking high enough to overcome the lower IPC handicap - AMD was ahead for 2-3 years though.
      The Athlon "Palomino" showed up a bit too late to hold on to the crown (though it kept things CLOSE for a while), and didn't scale fast enough to stay competative at the top.

(2) Athlon 64.
      Intel had NOTHING competative prior to introduction of the "Core" line.
      AMD had another 2-3 year lead and for the first time made some serious incursion into SERVER manufacturers (the Thunderbird managed some SMALL gains but nothing major).

AMD was also very very close in the K5 vs. Pentium days, prior to Intel introducing the MMX instruction set on the second generation Pentium-166. That timeframe came down to instruction mix a lot - Intel won on floating Point operations by a lot, AMD won on integer operations by a much narrower degree.

I don't count the 386 and earlier days, when the IBM-forced "AMD as second source" agreement was still in force.

I honestly don't see Ryzen making any serious dent in cryptomining though - there are too few CPU-mineable coins and ALL of them except Monero are way too small (and even Monero isn't real competative for CPUs vs GPUs) to make it worth spending a lot on Ryzen based hardware.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Balmtand

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 08:10:54 AM

dude.... look that opteron chips actualy outperforms xeon chips on the same price range concerning mining... and my cheap shitty amd  a8 5400k  has same performance per core than those of an i7....

So the AMD CPU are good for mining?
felixbrucker

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2017, 11:42:41 PM

now that its clear that also the naples server chips will not offer 256bit avx it will be interesting to see how they perform in compute intensive algos which greatly benefit from avx2
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: