Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:25:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chargeback sepa credit transfer 2017  (Read 485 times)
arturjorge (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 07:15:45 PM

Hello everyone,

I saw a post from 2013 where someone selling Bitcoins with bank transfer had a chargeback from a sepa credit transfer (not sepa debit), and got his account frozen with the amount blocked, of course after sending the Bitcoins to the buyer.

More stories are available on the Internet, with people having their money taken out of their account because of sepa recall.

Do someone have up to date info about that?
Is it common scam within the bitcoin community?
Is it really easy to recall a sepa transfer? How to prevent it and protect ourself from being scammed when selling with sepa credit transfer?

I always used to think that bank transfer that actually reaches my account were irrevocable, if someone here has knowledge or experience about that, please share.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6099

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 08:38:02 AM

There are a lot of payment methods[1] that most people think they are not reversible. If you really want to protect yourself while using SEPA transfers then you have two options here :

1. Trade with trusted members on the forums that have high ranks and trust profiles.
2. Instead of trading with individuals , trade with reputable exchanges (An ID verification could be asked in that case).

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=14632.0

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Vaccinus

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 12:01:46 PM

i find this unusual, what bank was he using? the bank don't simply freeze your account without proof and real reason, i know that it's more true to do with paypal than sepa, perhaps the credit card was stolen? would make sense if this was the case

arturjorge (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 11:06:24 PM

Among other stories that I found on the Internet, this one had me really worried about 4 recent sellings.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/sepa-transfer-reversal.199168/

I was in a very similar situation as the payments were from Germany to my N26 account, and I am not german and not living in Germany.

As the amount was around 3000eur, I was quite scared, and just an hour after the payment showed up in my account, I withdrew the whole balance in cash.

One hour after the withdrawal, I received an email from N26 to notify me of the closure of my account.

After searching for information in the official rulebook of SEPA, it seems that I did the right thing by withdrawing the money.

It is written :

The  Beneficiary  Bank  will  generate  a  negative  answer  to  the Originator Bank and give reason for it if:
- there are insufficient funds on the account
- the account is closed

So it seems that I am safe for that payment.

Withdrawing the money in cash before sending the bitcoins could be an effective way to prevent SEPA recall.

The rulebook is available here, information about recall is at pages 26-27-28.

http://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/index.cfm/knowledge-bank/epc-documents/2017-sepa-credit-transfer-rulebook-version-10/epc125-05-2017-sct-rulebook-version-10/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: