Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:22:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DDOS Payback  (Read 8373 times)
flix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:24:15 AM
Last edit: April 18, 2013, 07:38:43 AM by flix

Almost every major Bitcoin website has been under DDOS attack over the past few days. It’s becoming a real problem, not just for the exchanges. It is also opening up other vulnerabilities.

Installing defensive tech (like cloudflare) is not enough. Isn’t the Bitcoin community supposed to include some of the best hackers in the world? We should set up a bounty and take the fight to whatever botnets are trying to mess with Bitcoin.

As long as attackers can get away with it for free, attacks will continue. Let's just readjust their incentives a bit  Wink

I suggest setting up:

0. Reward for proving that there is a real attacker
1. Reward for whoever can identify the source of the attacks
2. Bounty for taking down (with prejudice) any major attackers

Considering the potential losses for major Bitcoin businesses if these attacks continue, I’m sure pledging a few coins each for this would be worthwhile. It might also be a good project for the Bitcoin Foundation...

"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:30:55 AM

Would be nice if some of the admins of the websites would come forth with info on where they are getting DDOS'd from. I understand that in certain circumstances that it's hard to trace the origin, but if they learn anything, I would gladly counter DDOS those servers, or help in other ways. As I am sure many other Bitcoin users would.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Chet

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:31:26 AM

Attack wars, further jamming stuff up, seem counter productive.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:33:41 AM

It's perfect.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:34:15 AM

I see we have drawn out the DDoSer... Gentlemen, prepare the ion cannons!

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Hei_

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:37:25 AM

more or less
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:51:05 AM

Would be nice if some of the admins of the websites would come forth with info on where they are getting DDOS'd from. I understand that in certain circumstances that it's hard to trace the origin, but if they learn anything, I would gladly counter DDOS those servers, or help in other ways. As I am sure many other Bitcoin users would.

One does not simply get the source of Distributed DoS attack.
flix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1227

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:58:19 AM

Botnets have owners who control them. Sure, it won't be easy. I couldn't do it. But somebody among the almost 100.000 bitcointalk members must be a security forensics expert, right?

If the reward is high enough... we might even get an insider tip from someone who knows the attackers... Even technically unassailable systems are socially vulnerable.
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:27:39 AM

Almost every major Bitcoin website has been under DDOS attack over the past few days. It’s becoming a real problem, not just for the exchanges. It is also opening up other vulnerabilities.

Installing defensive tech (like cloudflare) is not enough. Isn’t the Bitcoin community supposed to include some of the best hackers in the world? We should set up a bounty and take the fight to whatever botnets are trying to mess with Bitcoin.

As long as attackers can get away with it for free, attacks will continue. Let's just readjust their incentives a bit  Wink

I suggest setting up:

0. Reward for proving that there is a real attacker
1. Reward for whoever can identify the source of the attacks
2. Bounty for taking down (with prejudice) any major attackers

Considering the potential losses for major Bitcoin businesses if these attacks continue, I’m sure pledging a few coins each for this would be worthwhile. It might also be a good project for the Bitcoin Foundation...

Sure but they would have to release logs and other information to the general public first.
Luckybit

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:29:30 AM

DDOS wars are counter productive but counter attacks are productive if you know who and what to attack. Who says you gotta attack with DDOS? You could attack with the authorities kicking their doors in.
Luckybit

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:32:02 AM

Botnets have owners who control them. Sure, it won't be easy. I couldn't do it. But somebody among the almost 100.000 bitcointalk members must be a security forensics expert, right?

If the reward is high enough... we might even get an insider tip from someone who knows the attackers... Even technically unassailable systems are socially vulnerable.

Now this is a good idea. Using Bitcoins to get community intel and tips. But how do you verify the information to make sure they aren't lying?  The tip has to be prior to an attack not after. So it should be something like "if you can predict the place and time of the next attack you win the reward" or even more specific like "if you help us prevent the next DDOS attack you can win the reward bounty".
Shermo

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:48:19 AM

If the reward got big enough though the DDOSer might just fake details, predict the next DDOS, claim the bounty and then lay low for a while happy and smug...
yocko06

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

1Kgyk4nQSzb3Pm9E9vWiGVyJ6jpPwripKf

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:00:34 AM

DDOS wars are counter productive but counter attacks are productive if you know who and what to attack. Who says you gotta attack with DDOS? You could attack with the authorities kicking their doors in.

There's a good chance the authorities are behind the DDOS attacks. Or ripple/litecoin supporters
But yeah I would chip in a few bitcoins to protect bitcoin.
blueberry

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:14:59 AM

Here's what I think:

The DDOS was done by a person/group to cause panic and crash the price so they could buy up coins on the cheap. Now that they have bought their coins the DDOS's have stopped.
Paul89273

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:42:51 AM

There's a good chance the authorities are behind the DDOS attacks. Or ripple/litecoin supporters
But yeah I would chip in a few bitcoins to protect bitcoin.

It's probably the bankers behind it, they'd have the money and resources to do it and who has more history at manipulating markets in their favour than them.

I wouldn't be surprised if they hire groups of hackers to perform these attacks when they want.

I could be wrong though!
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:47:02 AM

Or ripple/litecoin supporters

I highly, highly doubt that.
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:54:55 AM

Re:  DDoS prevention.  Does Cloudflare essentially offer the same services as that DDoS prevention service that accepts BTC?

From what I understand the one that accepts BTC has all traffic routed through them (BGP AS would be them) the destination endpoint(s) can be absorbed in to the services' IP block through tunneling or a leased line.

If such a company has the PoP bandwidth to handle the DDoSers while route black holing the attackers once they reach their perimeter, then that seems good enough??

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
btcforall777

Activity: 235

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:26:15 PM

start a rumor that the guy doing the ddos did/said something extremely offensive to islam.  then let al queda behead him.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:40:54 PM

I suggest setting up decentralized systems that are not subject to attack. Make the change and the DDOS becomes a thing of the past.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:46:43 PM

Ripple enthusiasts are too smart for that, and Litecoin users are too stupid.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: