Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:46:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HTML5 Bitcoin Exchange Rate notifier  (Read 1255 times)
qualalol (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 12:36:25 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2013, 03:04:37 PM by qualalol

Hi everyone.

I've started working on a web-based Bitcoin exchange rate notifier (see this thread for background).

It can currently be found under:
http://teajam.co.uk/btc/btcnotifier.html

It notifies you every time the exchange rate of USD/BTC on Mt. Gox has changed by 5% or more.

It is only usable on webkit based browsers (I have only tested with Chromium).

I'm currently adding support for other exchanges & currency pairs, and adding more configurability (this was a half hour hack I did this morning just to teach myself some html+js, which seems to be turning into a proper project).

// Update: Now has support for Mt. Gox Euro, and some configurability. Working on other exchanges now. (Settings aren't saved across reloads yet.)
// Update2: Only Mt. Gox appears to offer API access without SSL. Meaning the others are impossible to acess via js for now.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
awakening

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:25:16 PM

Doesn't update for me. It stays at $92.26 forever.. I'm using chromium
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:43:47 PM

Interesting colour scheme you used there lol.
qualalol (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:02:00 PM

Doesn't update for me. It stays at $92.26 forever.. I'm using chromium
I've noticed some strange caching behaviour now (i.e. the browser loads the gox prices from the cache)... Should have a fix out soon.
qualalol (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:46:54 PM

Updated version is up, which should now work properly. Also offers checking of Bitstamp. (I'm having some issues with BTC-E at the moment, so that's disabled.)

The new version uses a php proxy/cache: this is to avoid the browser caching the json from the Exchange (by setting no-cache headers), and also to allow access to APIs that are only accessible via SSL (i.e. every exchange apart from Mt. Gox only lets you access the API via SSL -- the browser won't let js on a non-SSL site to access SSL sites and vice versa). Note that this new cache only updates externally at most once a minute, so setting your update time to less than 1 minute only means that your browser will contact my server more often, but my server still only contacts the exchanges at most once per minute.

Interesting colour scheme you used there lol.
I'm just living up to the stereotype that people who can code can't design UIs...  Wink
awakening

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:01:39 PM

Now works without any problem. Good job.  Wink
qualalol (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:47:32 AM

Updated again:
- Settings now stored -- the exchange and your update frequency/percentage are now remembered.
- BTC-E supported (SSL certificate problem found -- need to check exactly why this was happening but currently I'm not bothering with checking certificates as security isn't really an issue when checking the exchange rate).

I'm working on:
- Wallet notifier: using blockexplorer to check address balances.
- Maybe more exchanges. Definitely looking at including the http://www.ounce.me/ average, and other data from there.

//Edit: and yes, absolutely horrific looking UI implemented.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:16:49 PM

Ok stop now this is not funny, I demand you stop with the colours and borders lol. At least you have not used Comic Sans yet. On a more serious note, any chance of showing GBP metrics too?
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 08:01:38 PM

Ok stop now this is not funny, I demand you stop with the colours and borders lol. At least you have not used Comic Sans yet. On a more serious note, any chance of showing GBP metrics too?
I support comic sans ms.  Please use it on the site, then it would be perfection.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:15:50 PM

I support comic sans ms.  Please use it on the site, then it would be perfection.

You have been added to my list.
qualalol (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:40:32 AM
Last edit: April 20, 2013, 09:28:27 AM by qualalol

Just added! (Only Mt. Gox as Intersango appears dead, and I don't think there are any other exchanges of any significance trading GBP.)

(I've added an "Enable Comic Sans" button to the menu, but apparently comic sans isn't available in my browser, so nothing happens for me. Might work on your computer...)

(I might learn how to design a web page properly at some point in the future, but then again this page isn't meant for looking at...)

// Edit: also reduced the colour overload. Looks slightly more sane I think.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:42:58 AM

Just added! (Only Mt. Gox as Intersango appears dead, and I don't think there are any other exchanges of any significance trading GBP.)

(I've added an "Enable Comic Sans" button to the menu, but apparently comic sans isn't available in my browser, so nothing happens for me. Might work on your computer...)

(I might learn how to design a web page properly at some point in the future, but then again this page isn't meant for looking at...)

// Edit: also reduced the colour overload. Looks slightly more sane I think.

I like the changes, I would also make these changes. Change the font to a san-serif, serif type like Times New Roman is more suited to books and long articles. Also removing the borders and curved corners would help I feel. Remember design is more than just making something look pretty, it is about user experience which is crucial when it comes to information, imagine if train networks had nice looking maps but were difficult to read. You might also want to also add some share buttons eventually, anyway nice work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: