Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 05:14:20 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is miningunited.com a SCAM, turning .1 bitcoins into .137 for almost free?  (Read 28694 times)
blueblade123

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:16:45 AM

Also, the fact that everyone vouching for the service is a newbie smells like a scam:

You realize this is the Newbie forum, right? Smiley
keatonatron

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

Jack of oh so many trades.

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:37:13 AM

You realize this is the Newbie forum, right? Smiley

You realize that non-newbies can see it too, right?

Non-newbs regularly post here, and if this were legit you'd expect at least ONE old-timer to have taken notice.

1KEATSvAhbB7yj2baLB5xkyJSnkfqPGAqk
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 08:43:49 AM

Scam just like pyramining

monster23

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 08:59:53 AM

Hey newbie here and stumbled onto this while trying to decide if this thing is a scam. been mining my own coins so just testing the waters i guess. Ill let you guys know of any good news but i guess youll just have to take my word im not some paid goon.
EaseOfBitcoin

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 07:17:18 AM

Hey guys, I'm a newbie and I tried it about a week ago, and guess what? I didn't get any coins back.
I tried contacting MiningUnitedSales@Gmail.com, no response.

So, what is my conclusion? It's a scam, and a pretty poor one too. I mean, using the same bitcoin address for everyone? That's a bit transparant... All pages are just plain .html files, no script what so ever. He/she could have et lease put some effort into this.
bennett616

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

http://www.freebitcointips.co.uk/

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 11:30:31 PM

I am a moderator on Coin Visitor chat room. A new member signed up before and started talking about this after a whilst. Anyway to cut a long story short, he has sent me 0.05 (0.055 actually) to test this out. Cant refuse that, if I dont get paid back it wasnt my BTC's in the first place Smiley I will post my finds in 2-3 days Smiley

Andy B

MiningUnited

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:12:41 AM

Hey guys, I'm a newbie and I tried it about a week ago, and guess what? I didn't get any coins back.
I tried contacting MiningUnitedSales@Gmail.com, no response.

So, what is my conclusion? It's a scam, and a pretty poor one too. I mean, using the same bitcoin address for everyone? That's a bit transparant... All pages are just plain .html files, no script what so ever. He/she could have et lease put some effort into this.

Perhaps you could provide your TID for proof of your payment? We answer all e-mails within 6-24 hours, odd how we missed yours?
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 04:22:02 AM

very odd

oliver025

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 05:32:09 AM

I did not seen it yet but if you are having doubt don't put any money on it,it is really annoying if you encounter scam.Well i remember some accountant at http://www.accountdata.fi/ in Finland country where some of them are also encounter scam even though they are professional on finance and encountering it by your self is not really good.Follow your doubt i guess.
borandi

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 02:24:56 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2013, 03:08:40 PM by borandi

I rent a server for $500 a month, with $100 in electricity. (easy numbers, not an exact quote of course.)

My costs every month are going to be $600 total just to mine bitcoins. This is a flat rate, always going to pay it whether I mine bitcoins, or run a Quake 3 server.

I can make $1000 a month mining bitcoins with this server. That's a $400 profit, after taking out electricity and rent.

Now, if I can get someone to rent this server from me for 1 month, and pay me $600 a month for it, and only expects $700 in bitcoins, then I cover my cost of the server, the electricity, and I still keep $300 in my pocket. I'm not going to pay them $1000 worth of bitcoins to rent the server, I'm going to hold some back.

My guess is that if they are charging 0.25 for 3 days on their server, then over those 3 days, they are making 1.0 bitcoins, and only giving back 0.35, netting a profit of 0.65. All with no risk to themselves.

Now, I could retype all of that substituting Bitcoins in the small denominations like .02, .05, .10 and what-not, but it's 6:35AM in the morning, I've had a half a cup of coffee, and crusty eyes, so I don't have the mental power to do the calculations.

Now, I'm also going to try selling Premium memberships... That's just cash in my pocket above and beyond what I'm making. Who knows, maybe I'll throw a couple of ads on the front page to make a little extra. The ads will help, because no sponsor wants to work with you upfront unless you already have an established user base. Just like any website, you have to get the users first, before you can get the money.

That's how I see it.

This is a very legitimate way of looking at the scheme.  Rent out your HW, renter gets 90% of perf, 5% goes on expenses, you keep 5%.  Over time you can buy more hardware, and it builds.  Keep a pool of BTC to pay out in the event of an outage.

Though after a few hours of thinking about it today, there are a few issues.

- It offers a way for your BTC to earn money while idle.  If I have BTC idle and I can get a return on them sitting idle, then hell yeah.  Alongside normal mining, this would be a great system.
- There are no images of the mining rigs, no up to date reasoning of why XYZ.  If you follow the bitcoin addresses, lots of 0.25 go in, and some 0.337 go out.  If the owner is hoping that more people get interested, then he can pay some of them out.  This is eerily similar to a Ponzi scheme if no real evidence is being had that they have miners.  Take, for example:

The 0.25 BTC option.  You get ~0.3263 BTC back.  Now in order to earn 0.3263 back in 60 hours (premium users), at current difficulty, you essentially need 2630 MHash/s just to break even.  So when you send those 0.25 BTC, you should be 'renting' approx 4x 7970s for 60 hours.

Clearly the owner hasn't thought this through - almost 1000 different 'packages' have been bought on the site (which hasn't updated in 6 hours) that are in the pipeline.  Apparently they're installing 3 new systems tomorrow - if that is another 12 7970s, then they have enough power to accomodate 9 requests for 0.25 BTC every three days.  So of course, this makes me think 'Ponzi', unless the owner has actually been taken unawares by the demand, or they are using the machines to mine other coin and transfer over if it offers a better return.

If someone is making money through work, and they have an opportunity for the money they have earned grow without doing anything themselves, then they'll do it (assuming no risk).  That's why people have high interest savings accounts.  The bigger the % payback, more often than not the bigger the risk (hedge funds).

Now if the owner had a 1500 GH/s system from BFL, then it would make sense.  He could create ~75 BTC a week.  But doing some math, if I started with 1 BTC and reinvested all I got back, in a month in this scheme I would get back 15.18 BTC if I kept 5% each round.  Any scheme that could 15x my money in a month sounds too good to be true.

However, it is up to individuals to make a decision either way.  Clearly people have had returns, although there is starting to be a backlog and the site doesn't autoupdate.

So only invest what you can afford to lose! 

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 02:53:58 PM

Yeah just like pyramining, no way to ever pay everyone back

MiningUnited

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:18:43 PM

However, it is up to individuals to make a decision either way.  Clearly people have had returns, although there is starting to be a backlog and the site doesn't autoupdate.

Correct, the site does not auto update. It will appear to 'backlog' as we grow.

We strongly recommend this, it is true for all investments...

Anyone who is skeptic we recommend only purchasing a small amount, get a payout, and ONLY use that payout to buy more. Some of our early users actually have taken out their initial investment and only buying more with a portion they continue to make.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 04:25:06 PM

That sounds reasonable

MiningUnited

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:34:02 PM

Yeah just like pyramining, no way to ever pay everyone back

Actually, not really.

We do not require you to "get referrals" or "expand your complex matrix of users" or "build up a team" or "recruit others" or "invite xxx people and then you get your reward". Since we do not need additional members to payout current, there is no need to force users to do this. We would like to grow, but it is not really necessary.

While we were starting we are offered up to 1 BitCoin for sharing a link with us where you recommend us, but are discontinuing that on Monday.

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 04:38:30 PM

I'll do that for 1 btc

borandi

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:59:03 PM

However, it is up to individuals to make a decision either way.  Clearly people have had returns, although there is starting to be a backlog and the site doesn't autoupdate.

Correct, the site does not auto update. It will appear to 'backlog' as we grow.

We strongly recommend this, it is true for all investments...

Anyone who is skeptic we recommend only purchasing a small amount, get a payout, and ONLY use that payout to buy more. Some of our early users actually have taken out their initial investment and only buying more with a portion they continue to make.

As long as you stay active at bitcointalk, people will grow to trust your system.
I would suggest a page of images of your rented rigs, as well as in-progress images of ones that you are building.  If you can prove you have the HW for such a scheme, again people will go to trust.

I'm still wary regarding the 2600 MH required for a 0.25 BTC package to pay off.  I'm not wrong in the math, that's 4x 7970s for 3 days to earn that back before you even take a cut for yourself.  Unless you have 20-50 initial systems, each with four cards, or hands on a few Avalon/BFL rigs/shedload of FPGAs, you are going to hit limits very quickly.  Those that make it within the limit of course will extol the virtues of the system as you continue to grow.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 05:03:39 PM

Yeah I'm starting to trust but its odd you just registered here.

theblazehen

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 05:49:41 PM

While we were starting we are offered up to 1 BitCoin for sharing a link with us where you recommend us, but are discontinuing that on Monday.
I posted on facebook about it, and sent an email - but I didn't get anything

BURST: BURST-ZRT2-GB5S-A6CS-HBVAE
MiningUnited

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 06:19:53 PM

We monitor incoming traffic sent from your link. If there are purchases while the visitor is on the page, then you earn BitCoins, up to 1. If you recently posted your link in the past few days, then you are right, you shouldn't have received anything, yet.
theblazehen

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 06:29:13 PM

ok

BURST: BURST-ZRT2-GB5S-A6CS-HBVAE
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: