Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:17:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some help with physical btc coins  (Read 474 times)
frx (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 04:16:18 AM

Hi,

I want to buy for my gf's birthday a physical bitcoin coin. I have been looking the forum but its becoming a bit confusing. Could someone just make small summary what is out there?

My goal is to buy a coin that it contains real bitcoins inside. Something between 0.1 - 0.5. She is bitcoin fan but I am new to this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 05:23:32 AM

I will suggest you something, if you want to gift that coin to your girlfriend then price must be affordable.
AFAIK Denarium is the one of the better coins with good quality/price ratio.
Also I heard that Satori coins are cheap (they are not funded), but they look more like gambling chips than coins IMO.

You can check Denarium ANN thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1021159.0

Here you can find some additional info about Physical Coins: https://physicalbitcoins.co.uk/
Blaater

Activity: 462
Merit: 262

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 11:17:50 AM

It all depends on budget and use really.

If you want to give her a collectible coin not for usage you could go for coins of Casascius (first created with highest premium) or Lealana. Or as previously mentioned Denarium. Check out the collectibles section of this forum and see what is out their.

If you want something that she can use you can go fof a DIY coin. Where you buy a coin and multiple holograms and you can print out a private key yourself an place it under the hologram. With multiple holograms you can use the coin as a hard wallet.

Edit.
I can also suggest Nastycoins as it adds a whole new dimension to coins. They come unloaded but over time they get loaded with coins by the maker.
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 02:39:28 PM

Another option is buying an unfunded Kialara bar and then funding it yourself. They are very sweet pieces of art!
You mentioned that you're looking for something with a value of 0.1-0.5BTC. Is that what you're willing to pay or is that the value you want the coin to have?
Casascius made coins with 0.1 BTC and 0.5 BTC denominations, but they fetch a pretty premium. If you're looking to spend 0.5 BTC on a Casascius, you may be able to buy a silver 0.1 BTC and expect a little change.
Otherwise your other options would be Lealana, Denarium, or some DIY coins.
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 03:03:33 PM

Sorry for plugging sales, but I think my graded lealana tenth may be of interest to you here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1801094.0

It's a fairly low premium and it has 0.1BTC loaded onto it. Feel free to send me an offer and I'll work with you Smiley

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 03:29:45 PM

You will also want to look into the risks associated with physical coins. Bitcoin is extremely resistant to counterfeiting, coins are highly susceptible to it. Consider that it's all about protecting your private keys. Ask yourself "How will I be sure that I am the only person with this key?"

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
biggzi

Activity: 543
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 03:39:39 PM

Within that price range you could also look at getting a funded 0.25BTC Bitpiece. Only 100 of the un-plated versions were made so these are pretty collectible.

Well respected member vizique is currently selling quite a low numbered and funded bitpiece on his website...

https://physicalbitcoins.co.uk/shop/bitpiece-0-25btc-20100
bithalo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1017

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 03:45:13 PM

Elianite, from this forum, wrote the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  It has information about every coin produced to date.  The hardcover is slightly more recent.  You can also purchase certain versions direct from minerjones.  Some are autographed by coin makers, and the authors.

https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Physical-Bitcoins-Crypto-Currencies-Ahonen/dp/0995089906/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487864547&sr=8-1&keywords=physical+bitcoins

https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Physical-Bitcoins-Crypto-Currencies-Revised/dp/0995089922/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1487864547&sr=8-9&keywords=physical+bitcoins

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
BitcoinPenny
aka CJBianco
Legendary

Activity: 2662
Merit: 2203

BitcoinPenny.com

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2017, 03:56:59 PM

If you're willing to generate / print your own private keys (which is fairly simple), then I highly recommend the PHYSiBTCiT Poker Chips as wonderful gift tokens with the ability to hold actual BTC value.

Regards,
Me

EDIT: If you have deeper pockets, the 2016 Titan Physical Bitcoins (.999 Fine Silver or .999 24K Gold) are a beautiful option. Smiley

BitcoinPenny.com | "When it comes to bitcoin swag, we make perfect CENTS!"
frx (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 04:02:38 PM

Hello,

budget is 2BTC, but I would like to buy more than just one coin. After a lot of hours looking at collectibles and your comments I think more or less now I understand the coin types. I think I prefer casacius as I see they are the popular ones. Just a few questions:

- Some coins have "ERROR" in title. What this mean exactly? is this something bad and its value should be less?
- I read how the coin works. Private key is under the hologram, so if somebody removed it to see private key, in the coin you could appreciate that. Does anybody have examples about this, so if seller send me coin pictures I can see if the hologram was removed or not.
- Last question... some coins for sale have GRADED. As I understand there was some verification from external party that coin has its real btc value inside. How this graded works and how much I can trust on it.

Thanks everybody!
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 04:08:21 PM

Hello,

budget is 2BTC, but I would like to buy more than just one coin. After a lot of hours looking at collectibles and your comments I think more or less now I understand the coin types. I think I prefer casacius as I see they are the popular ones. Just a few questions:

- Some coins have "ERROR" in title. What this mean exactly? is this something bad and its value should be less?
- I read how the coin works. Private key is under the hologram, so if somebody removed it to see private key, in the coin you could appreciate that. Does anybody have examples about this, so if seller send me coin pictures I can see if the hologram was removed or not.
- Last question... some coins for sale have GRADED. As I understand there was some verification from external party that coin has its real btc value inside. How this graded works and how much I can trust on it.

Thanks everybody!

-Error coins are coins that have some kind of visible error. Casascius error coins have a spelling error and are considered more rare, and therefore more valuable. (It isn't the rarest casascius coins out there though) In general, errors normally cost a bit more since they are normally a bit more rare.

-Here is an example of a peeled coin: https://n2liquid.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/photo_6.jpg

-Please note that graded coins are not a verification for a bitcoin balance, but rather a measure of the quality of the coin itself. ANACS is the usual standard for grading crypto coins here.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
chronicsky
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1222

Just looking for peace

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2017, 05:23:52 PM

I would recommend BTCC coins as they are pretty trusted and the coins look amazing

you can also buy a chip set along with a 0.5 btc coin and it will still be in your budget
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: