Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:52:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH failure  (Read 448 times)
confirmationbias (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 07:48:35 PM

About a year ago I jumped into the crypto world with ETH, figuring that I'd missed the boat on bitcoin itself. I quickly abandoned ETH because I could not get the client to work. Even after several days of downloading, it would never manage to accumulate enough blockchain for me to use the client. I had invested $150 in ETH and was just trying to play with it (I could see the ETH was purchased when I viewed the ETH blockchain through a search engine).

Before finishing any download, I was also prompted constantly to download the new updated ETH client. So before I could even use the old one, I was supposed to download the new one.

Finally, I read that to make it work I should probably delete the appdata and start again. I recorded my password and did so. Ultimately, I gave up on ETH as a complete joke and moved over to BTC, which has been a really cool experience. I'm learning more about it, how to use BTC securely and to protect my BTC properly. But now I'm realizing of course that my $150 in ETH is gone forever. Deleting the appdata probably deleted my original ETH keystore. It's the most un-user-firendly software I have ever encountered in my life.

On a Github forum thread, reading about some poor guy who has lost his ETH because he did what I did (saved password but didn't know anything about saving the keystore, which is saved in some inscrutable obscure location on your hard-drive with a meaningless name), one of the developers said "Maybe we should make the account back up more prominent in the software."

Uh you think?!!!!

I would just like to know if there is a log of keystores on my computer somewhere! Who knows. Maybe it's in some file and I can even get my bloody $150 back!

Never again ETH.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MTJ151

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 09:23:41 PM

If you delete the complete contents of your appData Bitcoin folder... you would also lose your Bitcoin unless you had backed it up as that is where the wallet.dat file is (which is your 'key' to the bitcoin).

Like any cypto it is your responsibility to ensure you understand the tech enough and realize that you are personally responsible for looking after it.
MTJ151

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 09:38:15 PM

FYI the keystore folder is in the ethereum folder in appdata that you deleted.
confirmationbias (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2017, 11:58:15 PM

Perhaps someone can tell me the specific file to search for on my computer? Just a file name would be great!

I just need to see if there's a chance the original key is still on my computer. I know it's in the "app data" but surely there is a file name, and within that file is an alpha-numeric sequence that is the ETH key.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: