Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 03:25:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin units and ETF  (Read 831 times)
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 09:05:03 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2017, 04:11:10 PM by Biodom

ETF: looks like it is getting closer as Winkies just filed an amendment changing the number of shares for the initial trade from 100k to 500k.

With that, and in the interest of liquidity while trading bitcoin proper, maybe we should at least consider some units other than btc. Otherwise, we might have too many zeroes before numbers for small purchase quite soon.

I know about bits (10-6) and mbtc (10-3), but what about something similar to bitcent (10-2), which would be an equivalent to 1 COIN ETF share:

My name candidates (for 10-2 bitcoin):

bitt (bitcoincent)
bitty (same meaning, but softer)
betf (bitcoin etf unit) #not very conducive to pronunciation, I know

EDIT (maybe better):
1 btc=1 bitcoin=current unit
1 bts=1 bitcoin [etf] share=10-2 btc=bitshare (this term was coined by @york780 below)

Any ideas?
Overall, I think that trading in 10-2='etf' units might be helpful for newbs and those who like buying things by the 100s (similar to stocks).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
secousa

Activity: 203
Merit: 151

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 09:08:20 PM

ETF: looks like it is getting closer as Winkies just filed an amendment changing the number of shares for the initial trade from 100k to 500k.

With that, and in the interest of liquidity while trading bitcoin proper, maybe we should at least consider some units other than btc. Otherwise soon we might have too many zeroes before numbers for small purchase (quite soon).

I know about bits (10-6) and mbtc (10-3), but what about something similar to bitcent (10-2), which would be an equivalent to 1 COIN ETF share:

bitt (bitcoincent)

Any ideas?
Overall, I think that trading in 'etf' units might be helpful for newbs and those who like buying things by the 100s (similar to stocks).

The units are already defined. https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Units

Will work for BTC. 13CcdYdeTLH9GxKWpeNh7aAoFokbUTQZRu
http://bit-sim.trade
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 09:10:45 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2017, 04:05:53 PM by Biodom

With that, and in the interest of liquidity while trading bitcoin proper, maybe we should at least consider some units other than btc. Otherwise soon we might have too many zeroes before numbers for small purchase (quite soon).

bitt (bitcoincent)

Any ideas?
Overall, I think that trading in 'etf' units might be helpful for newbs and those who like buying things by the 100s (similar to stocks).

I am just proposing a short hand for bitcent (centi-bitcoin is a mouthful)  Sad
defined by whom? wiki contributors?
nonsense, we can change them if we want to
'they' also defined:
bitcoin-bong; bitcoin-ton?
WTF!?
york780

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 09:11:08 PM

bitshare? bittoken? something like that ?
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 09:18:44 PM

I think it may be too late now. Coinbase, Bitpay and a few others tried to introduce 'bits', 100 satsoshis, and that went nowhere.

If Satoshi hadn't been balls deep in computer science, he would've realised most humans don't want strings of zeroes before the numbers that count. He should've either started off with many more primary units or made the change when it was just starting to get somewhere.
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 09:22:46 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2017, 09:54:52 PM by Biodom

I think it may be too late now. Coinbase, Bitpay and a few others tried to introduce 'bits', 100 satsoshis, and that went nowhere.

If Satoshi hadn't been balls deep in computer science, he would've realised most humans don't want strings of zeroes before the numbers that count. He should've either started off with many more primary units or made the change when it was just starting to get somewhere.

Well, maybe, but I surmise that people would like to trade etf-equivalents in "pure" bitcoin, hence the need.
Current bits (10-6 btc)  are made up and too far from a meaningful value yet.

10-2; call them
bet(s) if you want to (bitcoin etf equivalents) OR
bif(s) (bitcoin etf equivalents)

maybe someone will propose something better (@york780: bitshare is good too)

Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 09:34:49 PM

"My thinking about this case become very uptight"

something even simpler:

1 btc=1 bitcoin
1 bts=1 bitcoin etf share=10-2 btc=bitshare
rogerwilco

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 10:26:32 PM

Yeah, no one wants to say "millibitcoin".

It has surpassed dollar parity. It's overdue for a catchy name.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2017, 09:25:47 AM

With that, and in the interest of liquidity while trading bitcoin proper, maybe we should at least consider some units other than btc. Otherwise, we might have too many zeroes before numbers for small purchase quite soon.

bitt (bitcoincent)

EDIT (maybe better):
1 bts=1 bitcoin etf share=10-2 btc=bitshare (this term was coined by @york780 below)

Any ideas?

No no no!

Don't start linking share price of a different asset to bitcoin! Just don't

By all means think of nice names for fractions of bitcoin though.
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 03:40:07 PM

bitt (bitcoincent)

EDIT (maybe better):
1 bts=1 bitcoin etf share=10-2 btc=bitshare (this term was coined by @york780 below)

Any ideas?

No no no!

Don't start linking share price of a different asset to bitcoin! Just don't

By all means think of nice names for fractions of bitcoin though.

well, just think of 1bts=bitshare as a 1/100 of bitcoin
I think that it is a good possible name (including shortened version) and is quite handy.
i will start using it myself.
york780

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 03:56:45 PM

I am glad that I could help you all out : bitshare it is !
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 04:00:41 PM

bitt (bitcoincent)

Any ideas?

bong-bitcoin. bitcoin-san.

Nope!

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: