Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:38:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchange transparency, or is this going too far?  (Read 1221 times)
greBit (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:55:31 AM

Imagine a new service called Dave's BTC Exchange.

Dave wants to be trusted so he decides to make his service as transparent and accountable as possible.

Instead of storing customer USD balances as some float in his own private database, he decides to make use of the blockchain.

Whenever Dave receives a bank transfer from a Bob, he makes a symbolic (colored coin) transaction to Bob's secret address, representative of the quantity of fiat sent.

This way Bob can always prove that he has X amount of fiat stored with Dave. It helps to keep Dave honest.

Anyone would be able to see the amount of fiat that is stored at Dave's exchange and no-one (apart from Dave and the customer) can make the link between address A and real-life identity, I.

How would people feel about this? Is it too much? Not enough privacy?

Would it count as blockchain spam? Or could it be seen as helping the Bitcoin economy by paying a fair amount of transaction fees to our miners.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:57:29 AM

Instead of storing customer USD balances as some float in his own private database, he decides to make use of the blockchain.
why do people always think its a good idea to put the blockchain into everything?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
greBit (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:00:48 AM

Because its awesomely useful.
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:17:28 AM

Because its awesomely useful.
no.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:18:18 AM

the blockchain is not a miracle cure.

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 10:19:29 AM

What advantage does putting in the blockchain give, over just having a signed, anonymized database available for download somewhere?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:20:38 AM

What advantage does putting in the blockchain give, over just having a signed, anonymized database available for download somewhere?
idiotic answer: but.. but... its the blockchain! it must be good, it cannot fail!

shamoons

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 11:20:59 AM

Dave wants to be trusted so he decides to make his service as transparent and accountable as possible.

Whenever Dave receives a bank transfer from a Bob, he makes a symbolic (colored coin) transaction to Bob's secret address, representative of the quantity of fiat sent.

This way Bob can always prove that he has X amount of fiat stored with Dave. It helps to keep Dave honest.

Anyone would be able to see the amount of fiat that is stored at Dave's exchange and no-one (apart from Dave and the customer) can make the link between address A and real-life identity, I.

How would people feel about this? Is it too much? Not enough privacy?

Would it count as blockchain spam? Or could it be seen as helping the Bitcoin economy by paying a fair amount of transaction fees to our miners.

What is a colored coin?
greBit (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 01:08:02 PM

the blockchain is not a miracle cure.

The blockchain is a ready made data structure for modelling transactions. Not a miracle cure but still damn useful.

Of course that would be the logical plan B, to host his own database, disadvantages being:

* He would need to make the effort himself to provide the infrastructure to host and process his own database Smiley
* The blockchain is generally considered pretty trustworthy. Dave would need to work hard to get people to trust his own database
* Perhaps he or others could manipulate the database to scam people

Forgive me if I don't really see the harm of using the blockchain for modelling transactions. Especially if people are paying fees for the pleasure.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 01:12:34 PM

The harm in using the block chain as your own personal storage is that you are consuming the resources of people who haven't fully consented to it and who aren't the beneficiaries of the fees being paid.  Those of us running nodes want to support this new currency but not become a volunteer Dropbox for people's crap.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 01:19:27 PM

* He would need to make the effort himself to provide the infrastructure to host and process his own database Smiley
That's truly minimal. And in exchange he'd avoid things like 10 minute delays and everyone needing unusual special tools to read the information.

* The blockchain is generally considered pretty trustworthy. Dave would need to work hard to get people to trust his own database
It's difficult to make a trustworthy registry with no central authority. The blockchain does that. But Dave is a central authority. He can just sign the database.

* Perhaps he or others could manipulate the database to scam people
Then there would be a signed database before the scam and a signed database after the scam with no explanation for the change between them. This would be provable, the same as if the blockchain was used.

Forgive me if I don't really see the harm of using the blockchain for modelling transactions. Especially if people are paying fees for the pleasure.
I don't see a big harm to it, but the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. The Bitcoin system is fundamentally designed around the idea that there are no central authorities to say what is authoritative. The whole point of this scheme is to have Dave do exactly that. So it's an awful fit.

Yes, with a big enough hammer you can cram a round peg in a square hole. But when there's a square peg right on the table ...

dansmith

Activity: 202

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 01:21:53 PM

You started out mentioning BTC, but then further down the description there is no mention of BTC.
I guess people who skim over the text may assume that you are proposing Dave is using blockchain for his non-BTC related purposes.

greBit, you and I both know what color coin is , and I can understand your proposal just by scanning through it.
But it is not the case for others who simply see "he wants to take advantage of the blockchain".

I'm actually surprise at casascius's comment. I bet he hasn't read the OP, just the comment preceding his.

https://tlsnotary.org
Transferable webpage content notarization.
greBit (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 01:22:28 PM

The harm in using the block chain as your own personal storage is that you are consuming the resources of people who haven't fully consented to it and who aren't the beneficiaries of the fees being paid.  Those of us running nodes want to support this new currency but not become a volunteer Dropbox for people's crap.

Yeah of course I understand that.

I wasn't suggesting creating a dropbox. Just using the blockchain for what it is meant for. Securely storing transaction records. Where the outputs would actually be spent and where transaction fees would be paid.

i.e. indistinguishable from the normal day to day use of Bitcoin.

It seems to me a pretty fatal flaw if the transaction fees I pay don't actually help support the infrastructure on which the blockchain is built.

Isn't paying transaction fees actually helping bitcoin circulate and aiding the economy somewhat?
greBit (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 01:26:33 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2013, 01:56:34 PM by greBit

You started out mentioning BTC, but then further down the description there is no mention of BTC.
I guess people who skim over the text may assume that you are proposing Dave is using blockchain for his non-BTC related purposes.

greBit, you and I both know what color coin is , and I can understand your proposal just by scanning through it.
But it is not the case for others who simply see "he wants to take advantage of the blockchain".

I'm actually surprise at casascius's comment. I bet he hasn't read the OP, just the comment preceding his.

I was proposing the use of the blockchain as a ledger for the deposits of Fiat at some random exchange, so for the moment I don't really care whether he is selling colored coins / bitcoin / litecoin etc

So yes it is kind of abusing the blockchain a little, but only gently.

EDIT: I take it back. I don't see any abuse of the blockchain here.
greBit (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 01:41:18 PM

I don't see a big harm to it, but the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. The Bitcoin system is fundamentally designed around the idea that there are no central authorities to say what is authoritative. The whole point of this scheme is to have Dave do exactly that. So it's an awful fit.

Yes, with a big enough hammer you can cram a round peg in a square hole. But when there's a square peg right on the table ...

I guess I see the blockchain as something that could be far more useful than it is today. With smart property etc being built on top.

Here instead of the customer paying MtGox and receiving some random MtGoxCode, the customer deposits fiat and receives a transferable item of smart property, issued by Dave. A bond that confirms to the customer+world that X amount of fiat has been deposited with Dave to the owner of a certain private key.

The blockchain spam arguments seem a bit ridiculous when we are all hoping for bitcoin to become widely adopted, necessitating the handling of far greater transaction volumes. If the odd bit of smart property being transacted on the blockchain is too much then I worry for bitcoin's future!
dansmith

Activity: 202

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 01:42:59 PM

In this case the whole idea of colored coins is gentle abuse of the blockchain. And so is the idea of smart property and anything for that matter which doesnt involve a pure BTC transaction.

But of course I have sympathy for those who run full nodes and feel they are being spammed/taken advantage of.

https://tlsnotary.org
Transferable webpage content notarization.
greBit (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 01:50:17 PM

In this case the whole idea of colored coins is gentle abuse of the blockchain. And so is the idea of smart property and anything for that matter which doesnt involve a pure BTC transaction.

But of course I have sympathy for those who run full nodes and feel they are being spammed/taken advantage of.

I take back the abuse of the blockchain comment.

After writing your reply I changed my mind and decided that Dave was really just issuing smart property, which is transferable. And so is using the blockchain in an entirely appropriate manner.

I have sympathy for those running nodes but I also see the need for bitcoin to grow up to handle far larger numbers of transactions.
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:03:08 PM

I suggest we create a new alt-coin (StorageCoin or something like that) with the purpose of acting as a p2p database so we don't consume resources from the bitcoin miners.

This alt-coin should have hyperinflation for infinity in order to kill its usage as a currency and not compete with bitcoin.  The only question is how to reward the miners, since they are mining something that will not have any currency value (because of inflation to infinity).
greBit (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:06:33 PM

I suggest we create a new alt-coin (StorageCoin or something like that) with the purpose of acting as a p2p database so we don't consume resources from the bitcoin miners.

This alt-coin should have hyperinflation for infinity in order to kill its usage as a currency and not compete with bitcoin.  The only question is how to reward the miners, since they are mining something that will not have any currency value (because of inflation to infinity).

I must be missing something. How are my transaction fees not helping support the infrastructure ... the more they earn the more hard disks they can install Smiley

Do the fees need to be increased?
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 06:48:38 PM

I must be missing something. How are my transaction fees not helping support the infrastructure ... the more they earn the more hard disks they can install Smiley

Do the fees need to be increased?
Transaction fees only go to miners. Not only miners have to store the block chain.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: