Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:04:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of compatible addresses  (Read 1013 times)
bitcool (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:57:24 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2013, 04:45:25 PM by bitcool

Some alt coins don't even bother making address validation, which is very irresponsible.

Users can easily send coins to a wrong chain, causing big trouble or even total loss. Case in point:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=180518.0

Bitcoin -- BTE  -- TRC

I wonder if there are others.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 01:08:05 PM

DeVCoin deliberately uses addresses that look exactly like BiTCoin addresses, so that people's bitcoin donation addresses can be used to send them devcoins; this lets us assign devcoins to developers without their having to get themselves a specifically devcoin address; they can thus accumulate devcoins sitting at their bitcoin address waiting for them to some day get around to importing the private key of the address into a devcoin wallet to access their coins.

This let us set people up on the recipients lists who maybe to this day might still not have actually set up and run a devcoin client.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
bryanmills

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:16:41 PM

Some alt coins don't even bother making address validation, which is very irresponsible.

Users can easily send coins to a wrong chain, causing big trouble or even total loss. Case in point:

Bitcoin -- BTE  -- TRC

Why including BTE on your list? You can't send BTE to a BTC (or any other) block chain address.
bitcool (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:44:49 PM

Bitcoin -- BTE  -- TRC

Why including BTE on your list? You can't send BTE to a BTC (or any other) block chain address.

Are you positive on this? I am surprised.

I think having its own address validation should be made as a minimal requirement for any altchain dev.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 04:50:55 PM

Thank you for posting this.  This is a pretty serious issue and can really trip newbies up (and the rest of us, as well!).  Over on Terracointalk, there is somebody who accidentally sent 100+ BTC to a BTC-e address, only to discover he was accidentally using a TRC address.  Now he can't seem to get his money recovered from BTC-e (yet).

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:15:13 PM

Anyone having the private key can use ALL the corresponding addresses, whatever the *coin
Resolving this issue just requires either honesty from the receiver or a brain in the sender's head (come on, always double check ffs)

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
bryanmills

Activity: 37

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:31:57 PM

Bitcoin -- BTE  -- TRC

I think having its own address validation should be made as a minimal requirement for any altchain dev.
You don't need your own address validation routine, it is already on the main Bitcoin code and with minimal tweak you can adapt it to your chain. Take a look on the base58.h file, the PUBKEY_ADDRESS constant is what rules if an address is compatible with your chain or not. If any other altcoin doesn't change it and has the same Bitcoin address format, then you are right, but that doesn't apply to us. Have you tried sending BTE to a BTC address or vice-versa? You should.

This is the output of the rpc console of the Bytecoin client when you try to send BTE to a BTC address:
> sendtoaddress 18as8p5DbgkhPihRcHrHNgc2uDkh4NH1vK 1
< Invalid Bitcoin address (code -5)
bitcool (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:38:36 PM

Anyone having the private key can use ALL the corresponding addresses, whatever the *coin
Resolving this issue just requires either honesty from the receiver or a brain in the sender's head (come on, always double check ffs)

If software allows users to make mistake, they will.

Currently we have following address format:
  BTC: 1*
  LTC: L*
  PPC: p*
  Ripple: r*
  FC: 6*

You can't send coins by mistake when they don't share same address format.

Humans always make mistakes, there's no reason not to implement basic protection for coin users when it's a simple design choice.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 05:44:53 PM

Bitcoin -- BTE  -- TRC

Bytecoin addresses start with 8.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:46:05 PM

Bitcoin also uses the 3* prefix for script hashes.

Kleo

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:17:41 AM

Bitcoin -- BTE  -- TRC

Yikes... I wonder if that was part of the design  Undecided
caish5

Activity: 324

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 10:29:04 AM

[/quote]
I doubt it just general laziness.
Just because the coins can be sent there doesn't mean anyone can know the private key to spend them.
Essentially they are lost forever.

Bitvolcano YAC, BBQ and WDC P2Pools at http://bitvolcano.com
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:33:03 AM

The owner of the address on the other network DOES know the private key

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
SnitraM

Activity: 40

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 02:32:45 PM

As I understand it, it's a feature selected on purpose by TRC developers. They think/thought it good to have only
one address that you can use for both BTC and TRC.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: