Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:11:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Community vote for bitcoin code ?  (Read 356 times)
MadGamer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:03:05 PM

I didn't start on the early days so I'm not sure really sure how things were before, the miners had the ability to do stuff just like now, being able to approve changes on the bitcoin core code?

I wanted to bring this idea and see what people actually think, instead of waiting miners to approve SegWit why not make the community do so since bitcoin is decentralized and not everyone is really able to run a miner somehow by proving the ownership of a specific amount of bitcoins?
I know, some people might say that this could easily be faked by bots sending bitcoins to each other etc... but something should be developed for this, like locking the bitcoins until the vote finishes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:09:39 PM

>locking Bitcoin until votes to change the code are finished

If an idea like this ever goes through in a completely unironic manner, Bitcoin will be worth next to nothing if funds can be frozen like that.

As for what happens with community engagement and what would occur, why should the community decide if they have no investment in the actual proliferation of the blockchain beyond an investment?

If users run mining apparatuses or run nodes, then maybe they should be allowed to vote. But if a community can sway the decision where the people who actually perform the work have less of a voice than those who suffer due to transaction times or higher fees, then there's an issue arising.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:13:19 PM

I didn't start on the early days so I'm not sure really sure how things were before, the miners had the ability to do stuff just like now, being able to approve changes on the bitcoin core code?

I wanted to bring this idea and see what people actually think, instead of waiting miners to approve SegWit why not make the community do so since bitcoin is decentralized and not everyone is really able to run a miner somehow by proving the ownership of a specific amount of bitcoins?
I know, some people might say that this could easily be faked by bots sending bitcoins to each other etc... but something should be developed for this, like locking the bitcoins until the vote finishes.

I believe you're describing proof of stake, bitcoin is a proof of work system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof-of-stake
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_work

Also this: https://vote.bitcoin.com/

BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:13:48 PM

I didn't start on the early days so I'm not sure really sure how things were before, he miners had the ability to do stuff just like now, being able to approve changes on the bitcoin core code?

the miners were users. you could use your own PC to mine bitcoin with your CPU or i think GPU later and then ASIC miners came and then difficulty grew and after some years the farms appeared and users mining with their PC died.

also your question made me think of another important questions:
How many of the users of the community have enough understanding of bitcoin to be even deciding these things?

There is a FOMO brewing...
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:14:03 PM

I know the bitcoin foundation used https://consider.it/ software to help establish consensus on development.  It is a nice system for this task. I met with the developers in Portland a few years back. Good guys. It would be ideal if every stakeholder  had a vote on development.  But I'm not sure how to do it without cheating.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:15:48 PM

It's about reaching consensus between all actors:

1) Node runners
2) Miners
3) Merchants
4) Wallet developers

that's basically it as far as I can tell.

So right now he situation is, 65%+ of nodes are pro segwit, we got a ton of merchants and wallet developers being pro-segwit, but only 25% of miners are signaling for segwit activation, so we are looking at a situation were the majority of actors except miners want segwit, so we will see of miners finally start collaborating and signal for it to activate it.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:22:09 PM

1) Node runners
2) Miners
3) Merchants
4) Wallet developers

So right now he situation is, 65%+ of nodes are pro segwit, we got a ton of merchants and wallet developers being pro-segwit, but only 25% of miners are signaling for segwit activation, so we are looking at a situation were the majority of actors except miners want segwit, so we will see of miners finally start collaborating and signal for it to activate it.

Where did you get that number?

Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:28:16 PM

<snip>

If there's only 25% support then we should start to look at the differences in priorities for node operators and miners. If there is something that miners really don't like about Segwit that node operators don't seem to care about, then what is it? Is it more expensive for miners? Does it impact their bottom line? If so, it makes sense there is less support.

I doubt miners will just "go with the flow" even if there is a large voice of support from the rest of the community.
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:32:19 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2017, 05:45:01 PM by BrewMaster

1) Node runners
2) Miners
3) Merchants
4) Wallet developers

there are sites that list these things such as https://coin.dance/nodes and i believe 21.co had a section for nodes too.
and according to coin.dance (first link) 82% of the nodes are signalling segwit (running bitcoin core) edit: seems like i was missing the version part.

that is unless i am missing something about the version of the clients since coin.dance says nothing about version of the clients these nodes run.

There is a FOMO brewing...
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:40:55 PM

1) Node runners
2) Miners
3) Merchants
4) Wallet developers

there are sites that list these things such as https://coin.dance/nodes and i believe 21.co had a section for nodes too.
and according to coin.dance (first link) 82% of the nodes are signalling segwit (running bitcoin core)
that is unless i am missing something about the version of the clients since coin.dance says nothing about version of the clients these nodes run.

Segregated Witness soft fork was introduced in Bitcoin Core 0.13.1.

As you can see here: https://bitnodes.21.co/nodes/

1   /Satoshi:0.13.2/   1804 (30.32%)
2   /Satoshi:0.13.1/   1209 (20.32%)

Lets ignore 0.14 for now, Segregated Witness capable nodes are a little above 50%, and this does not indicate people running those nodes are 'pro segwit', it just indicates they like to run up to date software...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: