Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:27:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I see the temperature of the GPUs when headless?  (Read 1257 times)
bubischolz (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 07:21:39 PM

Hi,
I am running 5 rigs (each with 6* RX 480 8GB XFX XXX). I am running all of them headless with Teamviewer, for which I had to make the onboard graphic my primary source (and  disabled rendering of the gpu) .

But when I access the rig now none of the software (f.e. GPU-Z) can show me the temperature of the GPUs. Actually I cannot even access the AMD settings/Wattman etc., or control anything without plugging a monitor in.

In my specific setup plugging in a montitor in all rigs everytime I want to look&change something is a big effort. I read about dummy plugs that I could buy to fake a monitor. But even that is not an option right now for me (living on the ass of the world they will not arrive soon) and I am going on a long trip in 2 weeks.

So is there any other possibility to access those settings when no display is plugged in?

BTW the Motherboard is H81 Pro BTC 2.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
suggsy89

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 08:22:01 PM

You need at least one monitor or dummy plug per rig if using the same GPU's

Without this the cards are not "connected to the system" so you will not see temperatures or be able to make changes to core voltages etc.
felixbrucker

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2017, 08:53:28 PM

You need at least one monitor or dummy plug per rig if using the same GPU's

Without this the cards are not "connected to the system" so you will not see temperatures or be able to make changes to core voltages etc.

i noticed some interesting thing here: my 7XXX cards work if you select "connect to vga anyways" in display properties (and so do all newer cards in that rig after enabling it with that trick), whereas my 2XX cards dont offer to even try vga connectivity (when clicking "detect")

not sure why though, they are using same drivers
RentGPU

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 09:01:12 PM

Hi,
I am running 5 rigs (each with 6* RX 480 8GB XFX XXX). I am running all of them headless with Teamviewer, for which I had to make the onboard graphic my primary source (and  disabled rendering of the gpu) .

But when I access the rig now none of the software (f.e. GPU-Z) can show me the temperature of the GPUs. Actually I cannot even access the AMD settings/Wattman etc., or control anything without plugging a monitor in.

In my specific setup plugging in a montitor in all rigs everytime I want to look&change something is a big effort. I read about dummy plugs that I could buy to fake a monitor. But even that is not an option right now for me (living on the ass of the world they will not arrive soon) and I am going on a long trip in 2 weeks.

So is there any other possibility to access those settings when no display is plugged in?

Trust this, i have a long time trying the same to view temps,voltages...etc without the need to connect the monitor to the gpus with no hope ,you MUST connect the monitor or a dummy plug to the gpu inorder to have access to gpu data , maybe someone have a good idea to do it.....maybe  Roll Eyes

2016 GPU Miner
meeow

Activity: 72
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 09:43:41 PM

Hi,

Claymore miner's temp monitor should still be functional. At least, I can see the temps in the cli output when I use chrome rdp.
bubischolz (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 09:45:43 PM

thanks guys. I also tried a long time, so i give up now Smiley and get dummy plugs when i am back.

And just to be double sure and to understand:
I plug a monitor in now, change the settings (f.e. fan speeds/core voltage etc. in AMD settings), then - even when I boot later without a display - those settings still apply, right? I am just wondering because if the AMD settings don´t start in headless mode how can those settings be applied.
bubischolz (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 10:09:16 PM

Claymore miner's temp monitor should still be functional. At least, I can see the temps in the cli output when I use chrome rdp.

Even in claymore I see the temps only when a display is plugged in.
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 12:45:52 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2017, 12:57:37 AM by toptek

Hi,
I am running 5 rigs (each with 6* RX 480 8GB XFX XXX). I am running all of them headless with Teamviewer, for which I had to make the onboard graphic my primary source (and  disabled rendering of the gpu) .

you can with https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=676942.0 Awesome miner on  remote PC's, all mine that are remote in my house are headless but one , i only use monitors on them if I update the card drivers but you can access them on any browser but it only works on win PC ...  one of my rigs has the same Mother board...you might need a dumbly plug https://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-4K-Display-Emulator-fit-Headless/dp/B00JKFTYA8 i think it's called .  i use  RDT if I need to do some thing on a PC, don't care much for team viewer it not to bad to use,it is actually nice but  i can't get use to it ...

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: