Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:24:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I need quiet in my house! Sound control techniques for S9 miners?  (Read 11690 times)
Sr.Urbanist (OP)

Activity: 315
Merit: 118

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 11:49:20 PM

Howdy all,

This is a common problem without common solutions.  These S9s are crazy loud and I only have one with another to start on Wednesday! 

The only way to make a profit, which is ultimately how you sustain the BTC network, is to run the most efficient machines.  I currently run an S9-13.5 TH/s and the sound is driving me bonkers! 

What are some ways to keep muffle the sound? 

I've thought about sound control room dividers, acoustic absorption panels and building a little server room type box with an in/out that may be quieter.  I only have two ... maybe three in the future. 

How do you quiet the noise from traveling like a train throughout the house?

Thanks.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 12:41:25 AM

The short answer is you dont run it inside your house. Stick it an a garage or attic. The s9 is not meant to be run inside a home. Especially not the new auto tune units since you cant control the fan speed anymore.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 01:07:16 AM

I know philipma recommended using 12" insulated air duct to silence S7s. Would probably help with S9s, just not sure how much.  Take like 8 or 10 feet, cut a slit in it about a foot from one end, put the miner in with the wires coming out the slit, close slit and aim other end out a window or similar.
Never did it myself, went with R4's which are quiet but have reliability issues.

HTH, mine on!

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 7968

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 01:41:24 AM

Active noise cancellation.  Right now you can get yourself some noise-cancelling headphones that work quite well.
If you have all of your devices in the same room, you may be able to strategically mount a few speakers that will reproduce the inverse of the sound waves in that room which when broadcast should effectively cancel each other out and make the room silent (or at least a lot quieter).

Maybe you can contact these guys - I think your setup would be much simpler and less expensive.

http://gizmodo.com/5913413/new-noise-cancelling-technology-for-restaurants-uses-123-speakers-to-serve-up-peaceful-meals

Sr.Urbanist (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 02:06:17 AM

Active noise cancellation.  Right now you can get yourself some noise-cancelling headphones that work quite well.

That is a great idea and would be a nice break every-now-and-again!

I ended up buying some of this; it's supposed to stop sound: http://www.nextacoustics.com/2-inch-soundtrax-acoustical-foam/

From the site:

[These] offer absorption in the mid and high frequency range, but all that exposed area on each panel helps with refraction of sound as well. A little of this treatment will go a long way to cleaning up your sound issues.

We'll see ...  Undecided
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 02:32:35 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 12:05:47 AM by frodocooper

That is a great idea and would be a nice break every-now-and-again!

I ended up buying some of this; it's supposed to stop sound: http://www.nextacoustics.com/2-inch-soundtrax-acoustical-foam/

From the site:

[These] offer absorption in the mid and high frequency range, but all that exposed area on each panel helps with refraction of sound as well. A little of this treatment will go a long way to cleaning up your sound issues.

We'll see ...  Undecided

Yeah I have a pair of cheap noise cancelling headphones (Sony MD5 I think) that I wear in my computer room.  They remove a modest amount of the constant background noise but then they were only around $40.  I know there are much better headphones for noise cancelling.
Rexxxem

Activity: 368
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 02:59:37 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 12:08:00 AM by frodocooper

Curious to whether or not you have a garage.. i went straight from an S2 to an S7 and the S7 litteraly made me jump when it first kicked on lol. I ran it on the house for a few days and it was pretty much unbearable.

I ordered this and stuck it in he garage:
https://www.amazon.com/LEA-Networks-NetSocket-200Mbps-Filtered/dp/B00XB6WKPI/ref=sr_1_1?srs=8320164011&ie=UTF8&qid=1457644742&sr=8-1&keywords=Netsocket
(Though currently unavailable, I vouch for LEA, it does the job)

Here is a variation. (Im not familiar with this company though it serves the same purpose)
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA2010KIT/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=pd_sim_147_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SJ0M9RBY1WZF7GWRH0KS

Litteraly internet through the walls. Plug one in and plug an ethernet cable from the router to the device. vice versa on the other side accept from the miner to the device and you have a hashflow. * <-- that, i like that, *hashflow* lol

Later i found that due the the warmer climate that i now reside in, temps were becoming an issue in an uncontrolled environment. Then came:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antminer-s9-KNC-Titan-GAW-WarMachine-Zeus-thunder-fan-air-duct-shroud-cooler-/172253766558?hash=item281b1fe39e:g:o2QAAOSwMNxXbv-R
(Also vouch for them. They have a personal domain which i dont remember, but send a thank you note wih url attached upon delivery of pruduct)
Get an attachable tube from a hardware store and dump the hot air out a window if possible.

One last thing is the duct will cause a rise in temps. A buddy of mine, who gets a kick out of the nature of bitcoin surprised me with a good air blower to help with my cooling issues. (i would say this could cool two units if placed right and need be)
Good up to 105°F:
https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-Max-Performance-Pivoting-Utility/dp/B00BT9C9F0/ref=pd_sim_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XCDJ0C7G4A7F9J08WE2Y

There are other, more affordable blowers, though they might only cool a single unit.

Sorry if this was a bit excessive. I'm really bored... and also trying to help you out  Wink
Sr.Urbanist (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 04:03:36 AM

Thanks for your tips!

Then came:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antminer-s9-KNC-Titan-GAW-WarMachine-Zeus-thunder-fan-air-duct-shroud-cooler-/172253766558?hash=item281b1fe39e:g:o2QAAOSwMNxXbv-R
(Also vouch for them. They have a personal domain which i dont remember, but send a thank you note wih url attached upon delivery of pruduct)
Get an attachable tube from a hardware store and dump the hot air out a window if possible.

I don't have to worry about temps as I am in Montana in a basement. However, these are luckily placed in an area with an extra vent (currently plugged) to the outside if needed.

One last thing is the duct will cause a rise in temps. A buddy of mine, who gets a kick out of the nature of bitcoin surprised me with a good air blower to help with my cooling issues. (i would say this could cool two units if placed right and need be)
Good up to 105°F:
https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-Max-Performance-Pivoting-Utility/dp/B00BT9C9F0/ref=pd_sim_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XCDJ0C7G4A7F9J08WE2Y

In line fans ... I grow peppers indoors, hydroponically, and when you get into HPS systems the lighting has similar issues.  You need lots of ventilation.  After my various years growing indoors, I have learned to get a grow tent for keeping the temps in the 68 - 82 range year.  People either use the duct fans or a squirrel cage fan.  The squirrel cage is quieter, similar to the R4.  I bet some of the knowledge is transferable.  Like you said, you don't want to the duct work slowing down the flow - not only heat, but static.
Sr.Urbanist (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 10:43:53 PM

Hey all,

The acoustic foam works okay.  I've been looking at generator boxes, but they are a bit of money and I am not sure how they will work.  I have shaped the acoustic foam into a "Z" shape for air flow from below and exhaust up. 

The thing the works the best is Bose Quiet Comfort 35.  I can turn on Netflix and not hear a thing! 

If I go larger, I will need to look at colocating or building an actual soundproof room in the unfinished basement - though that will lead to ventilation needs.  ¡Ya veremos!

Any ideas to quiet bitcoin machine noise?
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 11:12:04 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 12:06:43 AM by frodocooper

Hey all,

The acoustic foam works okay.  I've been looking at generator boxes, but they are a bit of money and I am not sure how they will work.  I have shaped the acoustic foam into a "Z" shape for air flow from below and exhaust up.  

The thing the works the best is Bose Quiet Comfort 35.  I can turn on Netflix and not hear a thing!  

If I go larger, I will need to look at colocating or building an actual soundproof room in the unfinished basement - though that will lead to ventilation needs.  ¡Ya veremos!

Any ideas to quiet bitcoin machine noise?

Immersion cooling would be extremely quite but likely expensive. You might try mineral oil immersion but you need circulating pumps for that which would add noise and potential failure points.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 11:31:33 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 12:07:15 AM by frodocooper

Immersion cooling would be extremely quite but likely expensive. You might try mineral oil immersion but you need circulating pumps for that which would add noise and potential failure points.

Some people also somehow break their miners running them in mineral oil, if you try this make sure you know what you're doing. Don't know how, but I've seen most miners submerged in oil running just fine before.
Zephon

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 08:20:47 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 12:07:42 AM by frodocooper

Curious to whether or not you have a garage.. i went straight from an S2 to an S7 and the S7 litteraly made me jump when it first kicked on lol. I ran it on the house for a few days and it was pretty much unbearable.

I ordered this and stuck it in he garage:
https://www.amazon.com/LEA-Networks-NetSocket-200Mbps-Filtered/dp/B00XB6WKPI/ref=sr_1_1?srs=8320164011&ie=UTF8&qid=1457644742&sr=8-1&keywords=Netsocket
(Though currently unavailable, I vouch for LEA, it does the job)

Here is a variation. (Im not familiar with this company though it serves the same purpose)
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA2010KIT/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=pd_sim_147_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SJ0M9RBY1WZF7GWRH0KS

Litteraly internet through the walls. Plug one in and plug an ethernet cable from the router to the device. vice versa on the other side accept from the miner to the device and you have a hashflow. * <-- that, i like that, *hashflow* lol

Later i found that due the the warmer climate that i now reside in, temps were becoming an issue in an uncontrolled environment. Then came:

Good up to 105°F:

There are other, more affordable blowers, though they might only cool a single unit.

Sorry if this was a bit excessive. I'm really bored... and also trying to help you out  Wink

Good ideas..
Exactly what I was thinking of, besides the air blower.
I'll post pic and results when I start building but for now still waiting for parts to arrive.
A friend of mine mentioned it should be cooler with smaller diameter air intake and larger diameter exhaust..
Will have to test that theory
Sr.Urbanist (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 11:47:36 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 12:09:07 AM by frodocooper

Immersion cooling would be extremely quite but likely expensive.

That looks cool, but I bet you are right as there are many different types of fluids and you need to contact them for pricing.  It seems like you would take the cards out of the S9s because you would not want the fans and the case would not be needed, expect for the control board.  

Edit: I wonder if one could simply take off the fans and submerge only the ASIC portion, leaving the top of the case exposed  Undecided

You might try mineral oil immersion but you need circulating pumps for that which would add noise and potential failure points.

Yeah.  I've seen that.  It's not for me at this point.  I'm thinking I may build a sound proof room with a dedicated main ... after getting a few more.
Sr.Urbanist (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2017, 02:20:26 AM

Oh nice question I was not thinking about this so I will buy also some headphones to sleep normal when I buy some miners to earn some money by mining on my hardware.

The Bose noise canceling headphones work amazingly well ...
fanatic26

View Profile
March 17, 2017, 02:37:55 AM

You cant just immersion cool without figure out a way to fake the control board into thinking there are still fans running. The firmware is designed to shut the miner off if either of the two fans stops working. The trick is to not run industrial equipment like these miners inside your house.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Sr.Urbanist (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2017, 03:53:51 AM

The trick is to not run industrial equipment like these miners inside your house.

Where do you run yours?
fanatic26

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 04:55:26 PM

In a datacenter, which is what the intended use of these is. The only quiet home option is the super unreliable Antminer R4. As a side note I have found that the ebit miners are the quietest of all the 16/14nm miners I have worked with. Their firmware also offers the most control of the miner versus the Avalon and bitmain units.

Sr.Urbanist (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 11:17:39 PM

In a datacenter, which is what the intended use of these is. The only quiet home option is the super unreliable Antminer R4. As a side note I have found that the ebit miners are the quietest of all the 16/14nm miners I have worked with. Their firmware also offers the most control of the miner versus the Avalon and bitmain units.

Cool.  I've been looking at the datacenter option, but I only have two miners. My local co-location center wants $800 per month for a 1/2 rack, plus 9c kw/h.  I would need to have more miners.  I've looked at the firm out of Seattle, but am not sure about sending my expensive computers to a datacenter in another state.
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 12:23:45 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 12:10:01 AM by frodocooper

Cool.  I've been looking at the datacenter option, but I only have two miners. My local co-location center wants $800 per month for a 1/2 rack, plus 9c kw/h.  I would need to have more miners.  I've looked at the firm out of Seattle, but am not sure about sending my expensive computers to a datacenter in another state.

If you are considering this option, you should contact sidehack. I had 4 Asicminer tubes sent to him unassembled and he did the rest. I was given an option to rent or buy power supplies and I paid a small monthly connection fee plus $80 per month per kw. He even sold them for me once I was finished with them. Check out his sig for up-to-date information.
Sr.Urbanist (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 06:03:10 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 12:10:35 AM by frodocooper

If you are considering this option, you should contact sidehack. I had 4 Asicminer tubes sent to him unassembled and he did the rest. I was given an option to rent or buy power supplies and I paid a small monthly connection fee plus $80 per month per kw. He even sold them for me once I was finished with them. Check out his sig for up-to-date information.

Sweet!  I may give that a shot because I am thinking about cashing in my 401k and moving to the tropics - where mining isn't an option because of inconsistant electricity, at best.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: