Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:37:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin's problem is the low rate of new coins  (Read 4244 times)
wingding (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:52:47 PM

Bitcoin got real public attention in early March. At that point 11 million coins were produced by a very small community.
Since then only 7000 new coins has been created, or a 0.06% of the total supply. But the people interested in bitcoin have increased probably by thousands or even millions. So the only way for bitcoins to get massive adaptation is by sell-off from a small community that was in early. In other words, a small number of people is in charge of the money supply. I don’t think this is a good starting point for bitcoin to obtain broad adaptation.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:56:39 PM

Even if one bitcoin per day were produced it would be enough. We would simply be using amounts like BTC0.000024. It is not a dollar bill.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 06:00:26 PM

When I was born, somebody else had all the money too.

25 BTC * 144 = 3600 BTC per day (or more) that are created. We are printing half a million dollars worth of Bitcoin a day, which would be inflation if it wasn't for more value and interest than that coming into the Bitcoin economy.
wingding (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:02:20 PM

Even if one bitcoin per day were produced it would be enough. We would simply be using amounts like BTC0.000024. It is not a dollar bill.

You are missing my point: First all bitcoins are produced (by one guy - or a few thousands, does not matter) then, the rest of the world are invited to come and buy their coins.
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:06:35 PM

You are missing my point: First all bitcoins are produced (by one guy - or a few thousands, does not matter) then, the rest of the world are invited to come and buy their coins.

People were being invited the whole time but being laughed at for it being a joke or pyramid scheme. First come, first serve is the fairest way to initially distribute an experimental currency. Just get some to try it out as currency.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:18:47 PM

To OP: isn't it fair that early adopters own more of the bitcoin wealth just because they had to endure more risk for more time than others? Not to mention mocking and outright accusations of crimes!!!  Huh
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 06:30:41 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2013, 07:26:05 PM by myrkul

Life cycle of a Bitcoiner:
Hear about Bitcoin. Look into it, decide not to get in. Too risky.
Several months pass.
Hear about Bitcoin again, see how much the price has risen.
Buy a few coins, so as to not be left out.
Bitch about "early adopters" and how they "have all the coins."
"Early adopters" tell you to quit whining.
Post new thread about "fatal flaw" in Bitcoin.
Get told that "fatal flaw" is feature, not bug, get pointed to 9000 other threads where same "flaw" is discussed.
Tell friends about Bitcoin. They decide not to get in. Too risky.
Several months pass.
New users flood in, and start posting threads bitching about "early adopters" and how they "have all the coins."
Tell new users to quit whining about "early adopters".
Realize that you are now an "early adopter."

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
pinger
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin - Resistance is futile

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 06:36:40 PM

Several months pass.
Several months pass.
New users flood in, and start posting threads bitching about "early adopters" and how they "have all the coins."

+1000 Really big knowledge in this words.

For rent
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:40:42 PM

Several months pass.
Several months pass.
You left out the part where you you assume you've discovered a fatal flaw that nobody in the entire history of the project has ever thought of before, so you start a new thread on the forum to announce your finding without bothering to perform a cursory search to see if there aren't already over 9000 threads and 42 wiki articles already talking about it.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:43:03 PM

Several months pass.
Several months pass.

So true and really irritating.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 06:44:07 PM

Several months pass.
Several months pass.
You left out the part where you you assume you've discovered a fatal flaw that nobody in the entire history of the project has ever thought of before, so you start a new thread on the forum to announce your finding without bothering to perform a cursory search to see if there aren't already over 9000 threads and 42 wiki articles already talking about it.
Oh, right. That goes in between '"Early adopters" tell you to quit whining.' and 'Tell friends about Bitcoin. They decide not to get in. Too risky'

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:02:21 PM

The coins are not given away. It takes time, equipment and a lot of electricity to produce coins. Anyone who wants to try can start mining. You could plop down $20k for a mining rig and do it yourself. I don't see how it could be more fair.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
botlove

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:21:40 PM

The rate of new coins is a known number.   The whole world can plan and factor that into their calculations.  It's really not hard - supply versus greed, demand versus panic. Besides, it's only a few years old... improving every day...  And what have YOU done to contribute to improvements?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:23:40 PM

The Bitcoin community of active miners is larger than the staff of Google, yet their stock is valued over $600. That hardly seems fair that we have to pay so much for something issued by so few people.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:34:35 PM

With the current transaction fees or with lower fees? :-]

Btw. : Lifecycle of the bitcoiner - This should be archived for future generations newbies. :-]
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:37:39 PM

In other words, a small number of people is in charge of the money supply.

It sounds like you'd better get mining.
tooniz

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:53:47 PM

The Bitcoin community of active miners is larger than the staff of Google, yet their stock is valued over $600. That hardly seems fair that we have to pay so much for something issued by so few people.

Are you kidding, are you so blind that you don't see how much value Google provides? Everyday, I pay nothing to do ~20 searches a day, get best email service in the world, get best calendar in the world, and get a couple minutes of entertainment from YouTube.

Maybe I should correct myself, I am sure even blind people get a lot of value out of google.
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:03:22 PM

Are you kidding, are you so blind that you don't see how much value Google provides? Everyday, I pay nothing to do ~20 searches a day, get best email service in the world, get best calendar in the world, and get a couple minutes of entertainment from YouTube.

Maybe I should correct myself, I am sure even blind people get a lot of value out of google.

For what price??

Nothing is free my friend, google uses your personal details. I think they possess the most valuable lump of information and you can be sure that they get money for it. Think for a second, would you run these services if it wouldn't worth it financially? ;-) the devil is in the details.
wingding (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:25:23 PM

I do not intend to 'bitch' about early adapters and stuff like that. I have no problems with people making lots of money, especially not those who made bitcoin possible. I think more about the possibility for bitcoin to actually get massive adaptation. I believe the 'real' succesful coin will be one that has a fast growth during a few years while the world is accommodating it.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 08:47:29 PM

I do not intend to 'bitch' about early adapters and stuff like that. I have no problems with people making lots of money, especially not those who made bitcoin possible. I think more about the possibility for bitcoin to actually get massive adaptation. I believe the 'real' succesful coin will be one that has a fast growth during a few years while the world is accommodating it.

3600 a day not fast enough for you?

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: