Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 07:52:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rumours That Dash Will Kill Bitcoin  (Read 3152 times)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 04:41:36 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2017, 04:53:14 AM by ArticMine

Thanks for the chart, but I think in terms of decentralization Bitcoin is superior. In addition, from the information I have Dash allows users to mix transactions, making them confusing, but not totally anonymous. In this sense it seems that Monero is more anonymous. And that raises another question... why does Dash have a market capitalization greater than Monero?

One significant difference between Monero and Dash is that in Dash a significant amount of the "circulating" supply is actually tied up in the masternode network, around 55%, ~4000 masternodes, at the present moment. This can support the price when the price is rising or stable but can also lead to sharp crashes if for example the price drops at a greater rate than the masternode net reward. These masternode coins cannot be used in commerce. With Monero on the other hand all of the circulating supply is actually circulating.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
kingorbust

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 05:00:21 AM

We can expect a dash and eth correction soon.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 05:07:52 AM

I have enough of this bullshit DASH propaganda. I get that DASH might be technologically superior coin than Bitcoin is.
But that doesn't matter when its developers are lying bastards. How we can trust coin which was instamined in the first place?
DASH was re-branded 2 or 3 times to delude people even further and had 'difficulty re-targeting' bug which allowed near instantaneous mining.
jacaf01

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

The revolutionary trading ecosystem

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2017, 05:22:02 AM

Memento is a paid Dash promoter, you are promoting an obvious scam, you even made Dash name bigger than Bitcoin and use low case for Bitcoin while you use higher case for Dash. You are only here to do your job

|
|
QRX|
|
QURREX - QRXTest MVP |Source
www.qurrex.com

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1115

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 06:04:32 AM

Not to bump a shitthread or beat a dead horse, but just wanted to chime in on sha256 vs x11. It's true that sha has a single point of failure, but x11 uses eleven algos, and so if any of them are broken the whole thing is in need of getting hardforked out. In this case a single point of failure is superior to having eleven different points of failure.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 07:21:29 AM

Here we go again with the delusional propaganda.

Is this a new thing here ? ..i spelled checked that for you too Wink

@jwinterm
Are you telling me SecureCoin is NOT secure ?  Cheesy

FUD first & ask questions later™
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 07:44:24 AM

i have lost count of altcoins that were supposed to "kill bitcoin" or "replace bitcoin" etc. and each time i see one of these topics i either feel joy because i invested before the pump and topics like this tell me "sell as soon as possible" because the pump is nearly over and things are becoming unstable.
or i am sad because i missed a big ass pump.

in case of this topic it was the first happy feeling Grin

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 08:39:46 AM

I just wait for something to break out of the very small shadow of Bitcoin.
This crypto scene is a rather small insulated bubble.
No matter what all the optimists simply loiter around pacing in circles chanting one day..
But i see and hear NOTHING when i leave the forum etc.
Crypto has no bearing on my life when i leave.. it does not connect back etc.

The last time i seen the slightest sign of a coin going anywhere was sadly Doge Coin.
It pissed me right off seeing brain dead noob retard profiteers who just got here LATE
railing on across the web talking in "Doge speak" claiming it was just about to beat BTC's market cap etc.
Which it never did of course LOL
Those little retards were showing up EVERYWHERE !
Holy mother of god did they spam.. and on this forum too.
The rules around here were thrown out the window because so many little 4chan style idiots showed up here at once.

Brats with ADD wandered off as i predicted though..

Either this moves forward or the toilet will keep flushing.
Bitcoin is fast approaching it's 10th birthday and EARTH gove 0 shits.

People love to say all these coins are ohhhh soooo successful citing stupid little examples.
But in reality this shit has gone no where and done nothing.
And BTC is failing as a currency.

Get it used or fail guys.
You don't have forever to putter around supporting pointless bullshit for ROI's.
Want an Altcoin to succeed ? you are going to have to get off your ass and make it happen.

iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 11:00:26 AM

The problem is incentivizing mining, because merge mining is insecure, side-chains can't create coins, and transaction fees are not incentives compatible in PoW.

How do you envision demurrage incentivizing sufficient mining to secure a PoW side-chain?

A 1% per year demurrage rate can produce a 1% per year block reward while keeping the number of coins in the side chain constant. The demurrage amount and block reward are adjusted continuously to reflect the number of coins in the side chain. In Freicoin demurrage is used to compensate the miners while keeping the number of coins constant. Their demurrage rate I believe is higher.

1% is approximately the tail emission of Monero (0.6 XMR per 2 min block). This roughly corresponds to 3 XBT per 10 min block for Bitcoin.

Afaics, this is not secure for reasons:

1. The block reward is much smaller than the rewards on the main chain, thus unless the side-chain uses a different mining algorithm, then the main chains miners can 51% (or 33% selfish-mining) attack the side-chain. To incentivize sufficient security, then side-chains will not be competitive with coins kept on the main chain (or a different consensus algorithm which doesn't need to spend so much on security as PoW does, which is my yet unpublished design because of lower sunk costs as compared to PoW).

2. An attacker can yoyo the difficulty of the side-chain by moving many coins into and out of the side-chain. Difficulty attacks either leave a coin with periods of being very slow to confirm or enable the attacker to 51% attack during periods of very low difficulty.

There are likely other problems. Side-chains are simply a broken concept.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 04, 2017, 07:38:19 PM

Afaics, this is not secure for reasons:

1. The block reward is much smaller than the rewards on the main chain, thus unless the side-chain uses a different mining algorithm, then the main chains miners can 51% (or 33% selfish-mining) attack the side-chain. To incentivize sufficient security, then side-chains will not be competitive with coins kept on the main chain (or a different consensus algorithm which doesn't need to spend so much on security as PoW does, which is my yet unpublished design because of lower sunk costs as compared to PoW).

2. An attacker can yoyo the difficulty of the side-chain by moving many coins into and out of the side-chain. Difficulty attacks either leave a coin with periods of being very slow to confirm or enable the attacker to 51% attack during periods of very low difficulty.

There are likely other problems. Side-chains are simply a broken concept.

1) The point is that we now have a smaller chain that can be secured independently of the main chain using POW. It can have the same POW or a different POW or as stated above even a different consensus solution. Demurrage in this context simple provides source of coins eliminating the dependence on fees that lies at the heart of the long term security problems not only of side chains but also of most POW coins. As for the side chain being competitive it may trade security on the main chain for other advantages that cannot be implemented on the main chain, are judged to be too risky to implement on the main chain, or even competitive markets between side chains.  One does not need the same level of security for all of one's money. There are tradeoffs here and the market can judge what works and what does not work.

2) These type of attacks can be addressed by having a non refundable cost associated  with moving coins into the side chain or out of the side chain.

I would be careful with statements such as "Side-chains are simply a broken concept." In any event, I have introduced demurrage into this argument and if anyone gets the idea to patent this here is the prior art.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Renji Abarai

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 03:30:07 AM

i have lost count of altcoins that were supposed to "kill bitcoin" or "replace bitcoin" etc. and each time i see one of these topics i either feel joy because i invested before the pump and topics like this tell me "sell as soon as possible" because the pump is nearly over and things are becoming unstable.
or i am sad because i missed a big ass pump.

in case of this topic it was the first happy feeling Grin

You are funny but I agree with you. It will remain a rumor and wont kill the bitcoin because they used bitcoin to buy dash Smiley As of now, bitcoin is rising fast and still number 1 followed by ETHereum. I like dash also btw.

T O W E R B E E      |  PLATFORM FOR EVERYDAY BUSINESS       [ JOIN WHITELIST ]
▬        ICO  >  May 5th - June 4th        ▬
FACEBOOK           MEDIUM           TWITTER           LINKEDIN           REDDIT           TELEGRAM
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 04:23:35 AM

Yup Ethereum is the future !
@Renji Abarai
Sell your house and buy ETH ASAP go go go !
Man future.. moon holy shit yo !
Just think of all them ROI'z  Shocked

Shitcointalk.ooooooorg

As usual you all putter around posting complete bullshit.
ALL of it 100% useless.

Notice how Dash supporters say they have no clue why the price went up ?
Ohhhhh but you KNOW THINGS ?
You and all your little investment strategies are.... l u c k

You are all little tiny pawns in a whale game.
Your stupid little comments here for or against any given coin are 100% irrelevant.
The fact you can't see this no matter how many times you are told means your morons.
You are playing a crooked rigged game profits.. there is nothing honest legit or moral about any of it.
But you look the other way because ?

I come here to laugh at the idiots who post pure raw bullshit.. like they think it has some kind of effect.  Cheesy

xtyling

Activity: 588

Crypto is Life!

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 04:58:46 AM

We can expect a dash and eth correction soon.

Correction already started and we should go back to previous stabilize price which is around $10-$20 for both ETH and DASH

Hype for those coins have been too high and the pump will slowly decrease
Tatshot

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 05:34:30 AM

It's just rumors, so it's no true.
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 09:53:17 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2017, 10:28:42 PM by iamnotback

2) These type of attacks can be addressed by having a non refundable cost associated  with moving coins into the side chain or out of the side chain.

The attacker can recover the cost with the proceeds of the attack. Eventually you have to raise penalties and fees so much that the side-chain isn't competitive with an altcoin which performs the same features.

I would be careful with statements such as "Side-chains are simply a broken concept." In any event, I have introduced demurrage into this argument and if anyone gets the idea to patent this here is the prior art.

I am confident with that statement. The security of the main chain is reduced to that of the side-chains because chain reorganizations on the side-chain put them out-of-sync causing all the coins in the side-chain to be in some limbo which can crater the market price of all the coins on the main chain also.

The security problems are related to the issues I pointed out for the Cosmos project in that there can only be one synchronization order (not multiple relative ones):

https://github.com/cosmos/cosmos/issues/47

I already proved the security of their blockchain hub concept is broken and can't be fixed. They banned me from their Github because of this.

No amount of BS from them can change this fact.

Note if I wasn't so cognitively limited for the time being, I would probably have pulled it together by now in irrefutable elucidation, but this is the best I can do for the moment.
maxpowerzz92

Activity: 249

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 01:32:35 AM

I like to look at it from an economic viewpoint.  With 2 choices being equal, the user/consumer will trend towards the next level to determine which product to use.

1) Functionality – Where a product or service meets a certain need or does a certain thing that cannot be accomplished in any other manner.
Bitcoin - yes
DASH - yes

2) Reliability – When two or more competitors offer similar products that have the same functionality, consumers turn to the competitor whose product offers the better reliability.
Bitcoin - yes
DASH - yes

3) Convenience – When competitors have products or services that offer the same functionality and the same relative reliability, consumers turn to convenience – those products that are the most convenient to use and the companies that are the most convenient to work with.
Bitcoin - Alot of debate here, but for now bitcoin is the leader with the fiat gateways and service providers (bitpay/coinbase).  1MB block size is a growing inconvenience that needs to be resolved by segwit or increased block size. (doesn't matter to me)
DASH - limited fiat gateways compared to BTC & still more likely to use BTC as an intermediary.  Smaller merchant acceptance list but growing.  Future plans in place with Evolution as a possible game changer.

4)Lastly, price – When competitors all have similar products or services that offer all the attributes above in very similar manners, then, the product or service essentially becomes a commodity and at that point must compete on price (following the schools of thought outlined above).
Bitcoin - To be determined.
DASH - To be determined.

I also recommend reading The Gorilla Game by Geoffrey Moore.  It also has some great insights on this idea.

rafajunior99

Activity: 798

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 01:49:17 AM

I think no one can kill bitcoin die, because bitcoin is digital money for the future, and bitcoin seen clearly useful for anything, if there are rumors of bitcoin will die with Dash was a lie because Bitcoin oldest compared with the Dash, I make sure to Dash possible will shut itself down because they depend on the developer if the developer goes it is definitely a big investor who holds Dash surely they would think to go well, they could not exist without the developer.
ICOcountdown.com

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 01:57:21 AM

This is garbage and I find it pretty offensive that you have this much disrespect for Bitcoin. Without Bitcoin there would be no Dash.

Lunyr

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

LUNYR.com - Decentralized World Knowledge Base

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 02:25:37 AM

Technical details aside, with just the current network effect that Bitcoin has, it will stay dominant in the foreseeable future.

digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 02:46:51 AM

Dash holders are also killing civilians around the world. DASH=ISIS.

🖤😏
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: