Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:30:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Australian tax department discussing Bitcoin tax without consulting CCCB  (Read 7905 times)
Pierre

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 10:30:38 AM

Haha OP you so crazy! The ATO better not make any decisions without consulting you! What are they thinking‽

Seriously see a professional.  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
racerx

Activity: 37
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 07:59:51 AM

So... where are we with the CCCB and the ATO?

I've been consulting with a well respected tax firm (who have also sought information from a variety of other sources) and at present they cannot offer me any solid answer on how the ATO think btc->fiat transactions will be viewed. 

They recommend if I was to cash out any btc to hold $46% in a term deposit and wait until May the following year (deadline for accountant submitted tax returns) and hope that the ATO has a decision before then... if they go down he CGT route then only pay 23%.

Anyone else got anything more solid?
seanneko

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:57:12 AM

I've been consulting with a well respected tax firm (who have also sought information from a variety of other sources) and at present they cannot offer me any solid answer on how the ATO think btc->fiat transactions will be viewed.  

They recommend if I was to cash out any btc to hold $46% in a term deposit and wait until May the following year (deadline for accountant submitted tax returns) and hope that the ATO has a decision before then... if they go down he CGT route then only pay 23%.

I have no further insight to add - but how did it work for people in previous years? I imagine that people sold decent amounts of Bitcoin last financial year, and maybe even the FY before that too.

What if the ATO hasn't made any decision by mid 2014. Do you simply just put it down as CGT, or do you not declare anything as the ATO has not been able to provide advice on what Bitcoin is?

Also, on a related topic, is it possible to move to New Zealand for a year, sell Bitcoins there (as they have no CGT), then move back here with your money? Being out of Australia for a year means you won't be an Australian for tax purposes.
Lloydie

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 07:28:11 AM

I have no further insight to add - but how did it work for people in previous years? I imagine that people sold decent amounts of Bitcoin last financial year, and maybe even the FY before that too.

What if the ATO hasn't made any decision by mid 2014. Do you simply just put it down as CGT, or do you not declare anything as the ATO has not been able to provide advice on what Bitcoin is?

Also, on a related topic, is it possible to move to New Zealand for a year, sell Bitcoins there (as they have no CGT), then move back here with your money? Being out of Australia for a year means you won't be an Australian for tax purposes.

Acid test is country of domicile.
Lloydie

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 07:30:10 AM

Treat as asset to be conservative unless you were trading. If trading, you must show it is a hobby and not systematic. If systematic then pay full taxes. IMHO, best not to spend btcs.
r32godzilla

Activity: 1360
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 02:43:30 AM
Last edit: January 01, 2014, 02:53:52 AM by r32godzilla

Whats the go with giftcards purchased with bitcoin? I guess these businesses could be audited by the ATO. However gyft.com in the US as far as I know is all done online so no sending a physical gift card to an address.

Also if I bought a few bitcoins at $130 on an exchange via credit card etc and then cashout later via some other service at $1k each or so what sort of tax will that attract?

So many unanswered questions. Really murky waters at the moment.

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin.....ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..
█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.Telegram....
robattfield

Activity: 783
Merit: 108

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 03:08:22 AM

I think forcing tax on Bitcoins might set a dangerous precedence - then it will become regulated and centralized like worthless fiat currency (printed form thin air) is. If it ever happened here in New Zealand, I'd probably lose interest in Bitcoins - I don't want to promote anything that is controlled by a government or government-controlled authority.

Do people think that countries around the world can be serious about regulating Bitcoins like fiat currency? If so, we need to stand up and say no!
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: