Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:03:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Erupter Blades. Review, comments, photos, and discussion!  (Read 25159 times)
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 03:43:41 PM

I would like to know what happens if one chip on the pcb is broken. I heard from another asicboard that is developing now that the asics are chained, so one broken one will make all chips useless. Is it the same with asicminer-boards or are they constructed another way?
It depends how broken they are. If it's just a normal dysfunctional nonce calculation scenario, the last chip on our board could run till the end of the world even if the other 31 chips are broken. And I believe it is the same with chained design.

But if one of the chips are seriously damaged. Our board does not work with chips having inner short-cuts, while chained design does not work with chips having inner disconnections. Both could be solved by a set of wire jumpers and an equivalent resistor though, but they introduce extra complexity to the board and do not always work.

Thanks... i wonder if such chip cant be replaced simply too.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 06:21:41 PM

In the package is the PSU connector included too ? I mean, i will have the wires from PSU to connect to the board, will it be the connector in the package too ?
rammy2k2
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 09:33:39 PM

my molex is getting really really hot ... any ideas ? i have 4 blacks , 2 by 2, and 1 yellow each hole...
rammy2k2
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 10:04:57 PM

so i got this ugly surprise ...

Caesium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 10:07:29 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2013, 10:18:40 PM by Caesium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector

"There are three typical pin sizes: 1.57 mm (0.062 in), 2.36 mm (0.093 in), and 2.13 mm (0.084 in). The 1.57 mm pin can carry 5 A of current, while the 2.36 mm can carry 8.5 A. Because the pins have a large contact surface area and fit tightly, these connectors are typically used for power."

These blades require 10A and thus even the meatiest molex can not power them. Please get these wired up properly people, before someone starts a fire :/

Edit: attempt to be more helpful:

There's a dozen posts telling you how to wire these up but there's really only a couple of things you need to get right in my opinion.
1 - don't exceed the amps that the PSU rail can supply. I was powering four of these puppies off a 750W Corsair that could supply 62A on one rail for a week without a single issue. Single rail PSU guarantees that every yellow wire coming out of that box is backed up by 62A (though that doesn't mean that one WIRE can supply 62A)

2 - chop off all the plugs and just wire the yellows and blacks straight from the PSU into the blade connector. This removes points of failure and eliminates any weak points (generally, the plugs are the weak points). I had mine wired up using 2x18AWG cores. That is two yellows, and two blacks, each 18AWG, into each blade. I chopped off the PCI-e connectors to do this.
Over short runs, 18AWG should do 16A (apparently) and by running two cables to each blade I'm only asking each pair to do 5A - well within my comfortable margin. And no connectors to worry about!

Disclaimer: not an electrician but my 4 blades ran just fine and didn't melt anything by doing the above (moved them on now but as far as I'm aware they're still fine).

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
rammy2k2
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:00:29 AM

everything is ok now, blade running for 8h+, i took wires from 2 PCI-e rails and wires are not even warm  Roll Eyes
Phil21

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 09:10:48 AM

everything is ok now, blade running for 8h+, i took wires from 2 PCI-e rails and wires are not even warm  Roll Eyes

Yes.  PCIe rails are the best bet.

Remember to use 4 conductors (pins) to hit the rated current specs (even de-rated for bundling, 10A is fine over two pair), and keep distances short.  I've found trailer hitch wire (4 conductor 16ga) to work well and is readily found and not messy if you need to go a bit further.  Also use both screwdown terminals on the blade, of course.
josh_nc

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:43:37 AM

I would like to know what happens if one chip on the pcb is broken. I heard from another asicboard that is developing now that the asics are chained, so one broken one will make all chips useless. Is it the same with asicminer-boards or are they constructed another way?
It depends how broken they are. If it's just a normal dysfunctional nonce calculation scenario, the last chip on our board could run till the end of the world even if the other 31 chips are broken. And I believe it is the same with chained design.

But if one of the chips are seriously damaged. Our board does not work with chips having inner short-cuts, while chained design does not work with chips having inner disconnections. Both could be solved by a set of wire jumpers and an equivalent resistor though, but they introduce extra complexity to the board and do not always work.

Friedcat:

I got my 2 blades last night and I am having problems. I also sent you an email. The voltage on all 8 capacitors on both blades are all around 8mV instead of 1.5V. I tried everything I could think of to try and resolve this. It is strange that the green lights flicker from time to time and when I connect the ethernet cable to the router my wireless recognizes the blades and post the ip and macid but when I run the ethernet to my pc it will not connect to the web. Any idea what could be causing this?

J
radiumsoup

Activity: 356
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:08:21 PM

...and when I connect the ethernet cable to the router my wireless recognizes the blades and post the ip and macid but when I run the ethernet to my pc it will not connect to the web. Any idea what could be causing this?

J
I don't know about the voltage stuff or der Blinkinlights, but as for the networking, you should be plugging the blades into the router, not into your PC (unless you're performing NAT with your PC via Internet Connection Sharing or something similar, which is not recommended at all, really.) Keep it simple: plug your blades into the router, or at minimum an ethernet switch that is then plugged into one of the router's LAN ports. Your PC should still be able to see the blades on the network that way, as long as you don't have two routers or are doing fancy things with multiple subnets (even accidentally).

PGP fingerprint:   0x85beeabd110803b93d408b502d39b8875b282f86
rammy2k2
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:17:51 PM

ok ... so after 1 week uptime .. my blade restarted ...  Huh
rammy2k2
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:09:46 PM

ok ... so after 1 week uptime .. my blade restarted ...  Huh

sorry, it didnt, it was BTCguild fault .. phew  Tongue
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 11:02:34 PM

C'mon people, it will make BTCs back. At most in a year, but 6-7 months seems more precise timeframe.

Difficulty won't rise exponentialy forever. In a year it can be at 300M, which will make AM still profitable (energy-wise).

Difficulty does not have to rise exponentially forever. It just has to rise 35% month-over-month, for merely 12 months, and the buyers will never make their money back: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178275.msg1889860#msg1889860

For the record, 35% per month for 12 months would bring the network to ~2000 Thash/s total, which half of it is already being built or planned by various entities (100TH-Mine, BFL, ASICMINER, OEM Avalon Chip Customers, etc).

As I suspected/predicted, difficulty continued to increase significantly. Those who bid 75 BTC for a 12.8 Gh/s blade in late April 2013 never made their BTC back. They spent 75 BTC to mine ~40 BTC so far. They will never mine more than ~45 BTC in the rest of the lifetime of their equipment. Holding BTC would have been smarter.

I guess these blades have at least sentimental value, being some of the first ASICs.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 02:42:33 AM

C'mon people, it will make BTCs back. At most in a year, but 6-7 months seems more precise timeframe.

Difficulty won't rise exponentialy forever. In a year it can be at 300M, which will make AM still profitable (energy-wise).

Difficulty does not have to rise exponentially forever. It just has to rise 35% month-over-month, for merely 12 months, and the buyers will never make their money back: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178275.msg1889860#msg1889860

For the record, 35% per month for 12 months would bring the network to ~2000 Thash/s total, which half of it is already being built or planned by various entities (100TH-Mine, BFL, ASICMINER, OEM Avalon Chip Customers, etc).

As I suspected/predicted, difficulty continued to increase significantly. Those who bid 75 BTC for a 12.8 Gh/s blade in late April 2013 never made their BTC back. They spent 75 BTC to mine ~40 BTC so far. They will never mine more than ~45 BTC in the rest of the lifetime of their equipment. Holding BTC would have been smarter.

I guess these blades have at least sentimental value, being some of the first ASICs.

Yes oh great profit tell us what next. Blades were one of the most retraded ASICs ever.

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 03:19:55 AM

Yes oh great profit tell us what next. Blades were one of the most retraded ASICs ever.

Overpriced Huh Yes,retarded Huh NO !!!!!..........at least they didn't do the preorder crap.............................. Roll Eyes

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 04:15:16 AM

Overpriced Huh Yes,retarded Huh NO !!!!!..........at least they didn't do the preorder crap.............................. Roll Eyes
I said retraded not retarded.

Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:18:19 AM

I get dyslexic...........  Roll Eyes

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 05:46:28 AM

Don't feel bad. dogie also wrote "oh great profit" instead of "oh great prophet", which is a choice insight into his mind Wink

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:50:12 AM

Don't feel bad. dogie also wrote "oh great profit" instead of "oh great prophet", which is a choice insight into his mind Wink

Cheesy  Good catch !!!!! I feel better now  Cheesy

I hope to see these 10-13GH miners come down even lower,say 1-2 BTC  Wink  Come on friedcat  Grin

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 06:53:15 AM

That was also on purpose, to add sarcasm that he's not a god but someone who took a 50/50 guess and then necro'ed a 5 month old thread to gloat about an outcome we already knew and agreed upon.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 07:05:21 AM

That was also on purpose, to add sarcasm that he's not a god but someone who took a 50/50 guess and then necro'ed a 5 month old thread to gloat about an outcome we already knew and agreed upon.

I suck at sarcasm.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: