Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 03:01:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone can test these 6 Pcie slots Ryzen mobos?  (Read 17995 times)
nixx

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 04:10:32 AM

After spending far too much of my life on this I found this thread.  So I decided to post my story.

I have an asrock ab350 gaming k4. I have a mixed rig. I had 4 1060s and 2 580s to put me under my 1000w psu.

I originally bought two of these rigs.  My first had no problem with 5 gpu and is still running 5.

The second rig I fought with.  And fought.  And fought.  It was 3 months ago so I don't recall the details but I believe  I was able to get 6 cards running by installing drivers one by one and mucking with slots. After it was running it was totally stable and never did the black screen booting windows ->recovery. .  

Last week a fan died in the second rig and I swapped a 1060 with another 1060.  Nothing else changed and now the machine will not get to windows with more than 4 cards. I had forgotten about the initial pain of setup and now I'm pretty pissed.  

However, I did have  a m2 to pcie card laying around. So props to the previous post about trying that. I originally stuck it in m2_2 -and windows didn't see the card.  So I tried m2_1 and moved one gpu out of pcie 4. Now I have 5 cards running.

Later, I might try to get the 6th working.  I'm thinking if I boot to safe mode and install the drivers for 6th I might be able to get it going.  

This is exactly what happened to me! Now i am going to try that m.2 trick too. Will keep you guys updated.

Update: Finally made it work. Not by using m.2. Just switch the pci-e slot and finally find one combination works. What a day...

Do you recall what you changed?  Did you just swap cards in random slots until it worked? Were you installing drivers? And did you get 5 or 6 working?
bmartin44

Activity: 85
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 04:51:50 AM

I do plan to get ryzen mobo for my mining rig, so that I can mine with cpu too on some cpu-only coin. But too bad that it is hard to get more than 6 pcie mobo for ryzen.

zenstrive

Activity: 46
Merit: 4

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 11:47:42 AM

I currently have Ryzen R7 1700 on MSI B350 Tomahawk.
Able to run 4 GPUs succesfully:
2x RX 460 4GB
1x RX 570 4GB
1x RX 580 8GB
 on 750W PSU.
I tried installing m.2 to pcie adapter and put riser on that adapter, and tried installing the RX 570 4GB on that riser.
The Riser USB cable get hot, the GPU fans run full speed, and windows didn't detect it.
I hope one can enlight me what to do.
Hoping to squeeze another RX 460 4GB in the system.
garytheasshole

Activity: 406
Merit: 105

Chosŏn Minjujuŭi Inmin Konghwaguk

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 12:46:48 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2017, 01:39:56 PM by garytheasshole

I got a Gigabyte AB350 pro gaming with ryzen 1500x, it was utter bitch to get all the cores working on linux, some gigabyte apic bullshit that was fixed in kernel 4.12.9 so I had to use fedora 26 and compile shitton of stuff myself to satisfy old dependencies of miners I use. I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie. On the bright side I'm doing 500 h/s on monero with cpu alone.

Grim

Activity: 505
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 10:33:21 AM

MSI released a new bios to support "above 4g decoding" that may help to recognize more gpus.

gigi2006

Activity: 50

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 01:22:55 PM

for which board?
I want to get the MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON for 4x Vega 56 and possibly 6 pieces later

who can confirm that the board can handle 6 GPUs?

MSI released a new bios to support "above 4g decoding" that may help to recognize more gpus.

vittorio88

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 01:34:57 PM

for which board?
I want to get the MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON for 4x Vega 56 and possibly 6 pieces later

Hello,

I had previously written on this thread that I could not get the MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON working with more than 1 card, or even 1 card in some situations.
My problems disappeared when I disabled IOMMU in the BIOS. After I disabled the IOMMU in the BIOS, everything worked correctly, no more kernel issues, and I have been running it with 4 cards for a few months now.

NOTE: It is a gaming oriented card, and has a high power-consumption. This makes it less than ideal for mining, but it gets the job done.

1eth1

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 06:38:05 PM

ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4
Ryzen 5 1600
2 x 4GB DDR4
3 x MSI 1060 3GB
2 x GIGABYTE 1060 3GB
1 x Inno3D 1060 3GB
Windows 7 Ultimate

6 video cards DO NOT work on ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4, at least on Windows 7 and 10.

I tried a lot, but managed to make 4 GPU rig on this board, which works like a charm with 385.69 NVIDIA driver.
AMD 16.50.2601_Allin1 drivers (USB, etc.) aren't installed.
Almost everything disabled in BIOS.
BIOS updated to 3.20.

If I put GPU into any of last PCI slots, Windows won't start. It doesn't matter, whether one GPU is installed or four. Just put additional GPU into one of last PCIs and Windows won't boot.

In safe mode Windows shows 6 GPUs, BTW.
Cryptoraptor

Activity: 26

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 06:43:04 PM

ASRock AB350 Pro4, $90 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157761&cm_re=am4-_-13-157-761-_-Product
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 , $104 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157759&cm_re=am4-_-13-157-759-_-Product
ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4, $149 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157758&cm_re=am4-_-13-157-758-_-Product

MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON, $179 - https://www.amazon.com/MSI-X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON/dp/B06WGS4FJL/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1488707250&sr=1-6&keywords=am4

ASUS Prime X370-Pro, $170 - https://www.amazon.com/Prime-X370-Pro-Ryzen-Motherboard-Lighting/dp/B06WD4N297/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1488707250&sr=1-5&keywords=am4

By the way, R7 1700 is 500h/s in XMR, https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/monero-mining-performance.12116/

Does anyone has these mobos and can test them for mining?

I'm tempted to go with the cheapest ryzen cpu when Vega launches (Ideally 4C4T, but it might not launch before vega). It brings some XMR mining ability, the ability to cpu mine new coins and handle high cpu load unoptimized miners (like in the early days of zcash) and imo, slower depreciation and easier resell of the cpu and mobo. It will be good to know if 6 gpus work.

I have 2 X of the Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming  K4.  Great boards, easy  setup, however I am unable to get either one to recognize more than 4 GPU's.   I have 4X 1070's on one and 4X 1060's on the other.  If I add more it just gives me a black screen and reboots every minute or so. Happens with both. Using Win10 Pro, 16GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Ryzen 1500.  I have no solution yet as I haven't had time to test.  Yes, adequate power supplies!
MingMining

Activity: 202

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:55:08 PM

This is exactly what happened to me! Now i am going to try that m.2 trick too. Will keep you guys updated.

Update: Finally made it work. Not by using m.2. Just switch the pci-e slot and finally find one combination works. What a day...

Do you recall what you changed?  Did you just swap cards in random slots until it worked? Were you installing drivers? And did you get 5 or 6 working?

Nothing really changed. I just swap the original slots for these cards. Seemed to me that Windows remembers things and it is determined sometimes. You need to force it to re-remember. Now I got 6 working and it is stable.

ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org
●          Mars, here we come!          ●
██ ████ ███ ██ ████ ███ ██   Join Discord   ██ ███ ████ ██ ███ ████ ██
MingMining

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 08:01:17 PM

Ryzen 5 1600
2 x 4GB DDR4
3 x MSI 1060 3GB
2 x GIGABYTE 1060 3GB
1 x Inno3D 1060 3GB
Windows 7 Ultimate

6 video cards DO NOT work on ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4, at least on Windows 7 and 10.

I tried a lot, but managed to make 4 GPU rig on this board, which works like a charm with 385.69 NVIDIA driver.
BIOS updated to 3.20.

If I put GPU into any of last PCI slots, Windows won't start. It doesn't matter, whether one GPU is installed or four. Just put additional GPU into one of last PCIs and Windows won't boot.

ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 CAN have 6 gpus for sure. Make sure you leave one on the mb on the primary pci-e slot.

ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org
1eth1

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 08:44:09 PM

Ryzen 5 1600
2 x 4GB DDR4
3 x MSI 1060 3GB
2 x GIGABYTE 1060 3GB
1 x Inno3D 1060 3GB
Windows 7 Ultimate

BIOS updated to 3.20.

ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 CAN have 6 gpus for sure. Make sure you leave one on the mb on the primary pci-e slot.
Tried. It didn't work out.

Actually I see no difference, whether to plug GPU into MB slot or riser. Whenever I plug GPU into two last PCIs, Windows sucks – that's the problem.
MingMining

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 10:47:49 PM

Tried. It didn't work out.

Actually I see no difference, whether to plug GPU into MB slot or riser. Whenever I plug GPU into two last PCIs, Windows sucks – that's the problem.

Are you using any m.2 device? It will disable one pci-e on the mb. But anyway, just keep turning off psu, turning it on, and turning on the rig for few more times. You will have a good chance to get in windows and see what going on. Update to the lateset version of windows too.

1eth1

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 04:46:27 AM

Are you using any m.2 device? It will disable one pci-e on the mb. But anyway, just keep turning off psu, turning it on, and turning on the rig for few more times. You will have a good chance to get in windows and see what going on. Update to the lateset version of windows too.
Tried Windows 7 and 10.

I have 1000 W Chieftec PSU, which is more than enough.

I do not use any m.2 devices, usb flash drives, etc. I turned off everything in BIOS (latest 3.20). MB + CPU + RAM + 160GB HDD 2.5" + DVD-RW + PS2 keyboard - that's all.

After pluging GPU into 1 of last PCIs Windows won't boot – black screen and system restarts. Then Windows tries to make Startup Repairs or System Restore.
Windows showed 6 GPUs in Safe Mode, but it won't boot normally with 6 GPUs and even with 2 GPUs when 1 of the GPUs is plugged into one of last PCIs.

I didn't install AMD 16.50.2601_Allin1 drivers, because with them Windows doesn't start correctly with 4 GPUs. For the time being 4 GPUs work perfectly.
gigi2006

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 08:47:15 AM

I got the board yesterday and can't get more than one to work. Have also tried the latest BIOS and Beta BIOS with 4G decoding etc. but nothing works.

I also made your IOMMU settings, even without success.

Please ask for help:)

thank you

for which board?

Hello,

I had previously written on this thread that I could not get the MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON working with more than 1 card, or even 1 card in some situations.
My problems disappeared when I disabled IOMMU in the BIOS. After I disabled the IOMMU in the BIOS, everything worked correctly, no more kernel issues, and I have been running it with 4 cards for a few months now.

NOTE: It is a gaming oriented card, and has a high power-consumption. This makes it less than ideal for mining, but it gets the job done.

R0mi

Activity: 305
Merit: 148

Theranos Coin - IoT + micro-blood arrays = Moon!

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 01:16:15 AM

I got the board yesterday and can't get more than one to work. Have also tried the latest BIOS and Beta BIOS with 4G decoding etc. but nothing works.

Use DDU to unistall the Vega drivers.  Leave them installed in the motherboard.  Then try reinstalling.

I actually prefer the next to last BIOS.  There are issues with the latest X350 Gaming Carbon Pro/X350 Gaming Pro bios.

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com
gigi2006

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 05:17:26 PM

I didn't quite understand what to do.
I delete the VEGA driver with the DDU, afterwards I leave 1 or more cards connected?

which bios exactly do you mean, the final version or the beta?

Use DDU to unistall the Vega drivers.  Leave them installed in the motherboard.  Then try reinstalling.

I actually prefer the next to last BIOS.  There are issues with the latest X350 Gaming Carbon Pro/X350 Gaming Pro bios.
vittorio88

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 12:33:50 PM

thank you

for which board?

Hello,

What does "it doesn't work" mean? Are you booting Windows or linux? What error do you get?
nixx

Activity: 16

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 10:53:05 PM

Nothing really changed. I just swap the original slots for these cards. Seemed to me that Windows remembers things and it is determined sometimes. You need to force it to re-remember. Now I got 6 working and it is stable.

Update: as I posted earlier, I couldn't get more than 5 working in my asrock. When I put the 6th in it would reboot. I thought on a whim I'd try a different card. So the 1060 wouldn't work but for some reason a 580 magically does. 
MingMining

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 03:07:09 AM

I didn't quite understand what to do.
I delete the VEGA driver with the DDU, afterwards I leave 1 or more cards connected?

which bios exactly do you mean, the final version or the beta?

Use DDU to unistall the Vega drivers.  Leave them installed in the motherboard.  Then try reinstalling.

I actually prefer the next to last BIOS.  There are issues with the latest X350 Gaming Carbon Pro/X350 Gaming Pro bios.

Start from the state where you windows can boot up with most cards. Try to add one by one. Leave one card and one card only on the primary pci-e slot on the mb (generally this will make sure windows can boot). check the pci-e riser. Keep trying. As I said, Windows sometimes is stubborn. It took me hours to make it work finally.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: